Question: Alabama to open against Duke in the 2019 Chik-Fil-A Kickoff Game

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I wonder who it will be for 2020.
Maybe Troy!

Seriously, I get that some of you are trying to "look at the good side" but, this is just a boring match up. Duke, seriously, in a kick off game. What a joke. I'm not a big fan of neutral site games anyway, I'd rather see teams in BDS but, I was okay with them as long as the opponent was good. If these games are going to start having cupcakes then they just need to end them and bring the team back home for week one. Playing Duke holds about as much interest as playing UTC. People planning this game are idiots.

centerstar

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2011
Not crazy about this. Even though some of the teams we've played in these things have not been any better necessarily, they have football name recognition.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Maybe Troy!

Seriously, I get that some of you are trying to "look at the good side" but, this is just a boring match up. Duke, seriously, in a kick off game. What a joke. I'm not a big fan of neutral site games anyway, I'd rather see teams in BDS but, I was okay with them as long as the opponent was good. If these games are going to start having cupcakes then they just need to end them and bring the team back home for week one. Playing Duke holds about as much interest as playing UTC. People planning this game are idiots.
It was thought the trend to better games on the opening week end, as we had this year, would continue because a loss would hurt, but not kill, your CFP aspirations. That has not been the case. Seven of the Top 25 teams lost on the opening week end and all seven are out of the picture although two (USC and OU) are photobombing.

Bama, especially, will have a very difficult time in the future in landing a quality opponent for these games. And Gary Stokan is not an idiot. He was playing the cards he had been dealt and there was not a face card nor another ace in his hand. He had already played the Ace of Diamonds with the red script "A".

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Seriously? There may not have been another ace of diamonds but, there are 3 other aces in a deck, instead he went for the joker. That's an idiot move IMO.

Y'all can try and sugar coat it all you want but, sorry, Duke holds no interest for me, it didn't hold any interest for me when we played in the past. Why waste a trip to Atlanta on a cupcake, if that's the best we can do then just bring the game back to BDS. I'm sick of neutral site games anyway and if we are starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel for match ups then, maybe it's time for them to come to an end.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Seriously? There may not have been another ace of diamonds but, there are 3 other aces in a deck, instead he went for the joker. That's an idiot move IMO.

Y'all can try and sugar coat it all you want but, sorry, Duke holds no interest for me, it didn't hold any interest for me when we played in the past. Why waste a trip to Atlanta on a cupcake, if that's the best we can do then just bring the game back to BDS. I'm sick of neutral site games anyway and if we are starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel for match ups then, maybe it's time for them to come to an end.
Don't believe I care to play cards with you if you use any card left in the deck anytime you like. Did you even read all of my post? I'm not trying to sugar coat anything. I'm attempting to educate you and others that the great majority of teams out there want no part of Bama. As a former member of the Atlanta Sports Council, I can assure you that is the case and that Mr. Stokan is attempting to create the best match-up possible for his game.

Last edited:

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
If having to play Bama is keeping teams away from the CFA Kickoff game, and Duke is the best team the committee could wrangle into accepting an invitation, perhaps it's time we took a break from that venue and schedule a home/home with someone - maybe one of those B1G teams that complain that we won't travel up north. Ever wonder what's keeping them from creating their own version of the Atlanta/Dallas/Orlando type game and inviting teams from the south to come play?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If having to play Bama is keeping teams away from the CFA Kickoff game, and Duke is the best team the committee could wrangle into accepting an invitation, perhaps it's time we took a break from that venue and schedule a home/home with someone - maybe one of those B1G teams that complain that we won't travel up north. Ever wonder what's keeping them from creating their own version of the Atlanta/Dallas/Orlando type game and inviting teams from the south to come play?
Teams and conferences don't create those - venues do. I would love it if we had a game like this in the Midwest. Not sure why someone hasn't cashed in on the idea yet.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I think we all know the conferences don't create the games. By "them" I meant the big corporate types as obviously there are plenty of major corporations in B1G footprint capable of sponsoring/underwriting such a game. Seems as though there should be a couple willing to pony up some bucks for the sake of good intersectional football.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
We could play Ohio st. in Indy or Whisky in Lambeau like LSU did, or we could do as many have suggested and play a home and home with a P5 team. Then again, we could play in Hawaii again. Unlike most people these days, it doesn't really matter to me who we play. I like watching Bama play no matter the opponent, and I know we will have plenty of challenging games. I actually enjoy and expect about three games against cupcakes so I can see the guys who will be contributing in a year or two while the other guys get a bit of a rest since it is such a long season. It doesn't have to be a top 10 matchup to get my juices flowing, but I would rather play at Bryant-Denny if it is not a big game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.