Question: Alabama to open against Duke in the 2019 Chik-Fil-A Kickoff Game

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I don't see this as being a help on the recruiting front and not a big drop in SOS. Still good to start the season on a big stage.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Not a fan. At the ticket prices these events demand I want to see a quality opponent.

Well, who knows...by 2019 Duke may very well be a quality opponent. (Part serious, part sarc.:biggrin:)
Plus, a lot of things can happen over the next two years.

Roll Tide!

Last edited:

ohiotide14

1st Team
Jan 3, 2012
Youngstown, OH
Duke is very very young with improving classes coming in. I believe they will be a quality opponent in 2019. Not the big name recognition you like, but I believe the staff knows well that Duke is improving. They were decimated with injuries this year, I believe they've lost 16 guys. They were in ACC ship 2 years ago.

melvinm

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 2013
After the big time competition (in terms of name and stature) in recent years, definitely a step down.

CrimsonDynasT

2nd Team
Sep 23, 2007
This game certainly lacks the "Wow" factor for the first game but maybe it is a part of the "process"--we have been dominating the Big Ten and whipped the Pac 10 last year. So now we turn back to the ACC to show who really is the boss of college football.

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
This game certainly lacks the "Wow" factor for the first game but maybe it is a part of the "process"--we have been dominating the Big Ten and whipped the Pac 10 last year. So now we turn back to the ACC to show who really is the boss of college football.
We play FSU next year, Louisville in 2018... after playing Clemson, West Virginia and Va Tech previously. The CFA Kickoff is SEC vs ACC.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It isn't a great matchup. Do we have a home part of a h&h series that season? The last time we played Duke, we also played PSU.

Edit: Thus far Season opener against Duke in Atlanta and week 3 home game against Southern Miss are the only two games on schedule. Probably can expect a week 2 or 3 SEC game with a bad OOC team somewhere in there too. Maybe we're just not going to have a super strong OOC schedule that year.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We play FSU next year, Louisville in 2018... after playing Clemson, West Virginia and Va Tech previously. The CFA Kickoff is SEC vs ACC.
West Viriginia is Big 12. Auburn and Washington are playing in Atlanta in 2018; we are playing Louisville in Orlando.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm not a fan of the match up, but honestly, is Duke today any different than some of the Virginia Tech teams we played or heck even Michigan from 2012? None of those teams turned out to be great teams at all. But the name Duke just doesn't sound as good as Michigan or Virginia Tech.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Exposure and recruiting...remember B.J. Emmons is from NC. Dean Smith would go play a game against a major opponent when he recruited a player from another state. Good pr...
I doubt Emmons will be here in 2019 for one reason or another (hopefully one of the good ones).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.