Will Malzahn be shown the BARN DOOR at the end of the season?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Let's end two myths right here.

1) The Iron Bowl is not a game 'where you throw out the records.' I went through this a few months back - true upsets are almost nonexistent in this series. Based on past history, Alabama will win Saturday. It might well be close but Alabama should be expected to win. (Whether an Auburn win is an upset or not will depend on what Alabama does AFTER the Auburn game).

2) Coaches are NOT fired for not winning this game.

Puh-leeze. Can any of you name me even ONE coach at either school fired because he lost the Iron Bowl?

Shug Jordan and Coach Bryant both retired (although I note both lost their final games in the IB).

Ray Perkins? Went to Tampa, not fired

Bill Curry? Went to Kentucky, not fired, wouldn't have been fired.

Pat Dye? Resigned over the Ramsey scandal, 6-5 Iron Bowl record

Terry Bowden? Resigned, won his last Iron Bowl, record of 3-2 in the IB

Gene Stallings? retired, won his last IB.

Mike DuBose? would have been fired had he not resigned, 2-2 in IB, had nothing to do with it.

Tommy Tuberville? no, he didn't get fired because of the 2008 Iron Bowl (technically he resigned anyway)

Gene Chizik? He didn't get fired because of the Iron Bowl folks...

fRanchione? Quit, wasn't fired.

Shula? Well, he was fired but it wasn't because of his 0-4 Iron Bowl record - solely anyway

So let's please never again hint that coach X of Alabama or Auburn is out of a job if he loses the Iron Bowl. It has never happened (although we can argue assistants get fired because of it - but nobody knows most of their names anyway).

It's a myth that was never true yet is spouted as gospel.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Really? Curry? JMO, and maybe not that year, but certainly if he lost to Auburn again the following year, he was toast.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Really? Curry? JMO, and maybe not that year, but certainly if he lost to Auburn again the following year, he was toast.
Bill Curry was actually at the height of his popularity at Alabama when he left. He'd gotten us to 10-0 and #2 in the country, and then we had to go down to Auburn and well, we lost.

He might have been had he lost in 1990, but who knows what else would have happened? Curry was 0-7-1 vs Auburn when we hired him, and Joab knew that. On the other hand, he was 6-0 against both Tennessee and Penn State and 2-1 against LSU. (We'll try to forget he lost to Memphis in 1987 btw).

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
The Gus Bus has another year to plod along. Everyone knows giving Lashlee play calling duty was setting him up for sacrifice. If they keep Lashlee or not, Gus will have to get more than 8 wins next year and beating GA and/or Alabama is a must for him to keep his job IMO.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Unless they lose by 50 I don't see them firing Gus and I doubt it would happen then. He has managed a decent record this year, though the Ole Miss win isn't as impressive as it once was.

But I think the chances of Petrino or Jimbo going there are slim. Petrino has too many issues along with the jetgate scandal. I think he is settled for life in Louisville where he can beat up cupcakes, win 9-10 at a basketball school and everybody is happy.

I don't see Jimbo going there at all. I don't think it is big time enough for him and his Tater Tot connection might not help either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Throw out the record book?

From 1960 to date the team with the best record going into the IB has won 79% of the games.

When one team has a decided advantage in their record going into the IB they have won 92% of the games. (example, in 2011 Bama had a 10-1 record and Auburn had a 7-4 record. My stats count +3 wins as decided advantage, not +2 wins.

This year we are 11-0 and they are 8-3 which means we have a 92% chance of winning.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

From 1960 to date the team with the best record going into the IB has won 79% of the games.

When one team has a decided advantage in their record going into the IB they have won 92% of the games. (example, in 2011 Bama had a 10-1 record and Auburn had a 7-4 record. My stats count +3 wins as decided advantage, not +2 wins.

This year we are 11-0 and they are 8-3 which means we have a 92% chance of winning.
Sounds good, but what happened in the past has nothing to do with what will happen in this game. The team that plays better on Saturday will win, not the better team. I believe that this will be Alabama, but Auburn always gives me heartburn in this scenario.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
You know - the mad hatters poor clock management on LSU's final drive cost him his job while most likely saving the Gus [emoji590]

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
As long as everyone behaves rationally, he will keep his job. I like that idea, I think Gus is limited in what he can do at Auburn, but the defense finally figuring things out saved his job in my opinion.

The other thing is that LSU will have a new coach, Ole Miss is now a complete mess, and there might be another opening or two coming up. So, maintaining some stability gives Auburn a chance to be one of the top SEC West teams next year. I'm not sure they gain anything by blowing things up, especially while Texas and LSU or FSU is searching for a head coach.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Unless the NCAA drops the hammer in the next month, I don't see Ole Miss firing Freeze.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Yeah, I made those same basic points a week ago.

Everyone wants to call the 1972 and 2013 games 'upsets,' but in the bigger picture they really were not. Our PERCEPTIONS were not reality.

The 1984 game qualifies as a true upset and even that one had more to do with Pat Dye out-thinking himself rather than just playing it by the book.

However - the game often is CLOSER than one might think it should be (1997 and 2009 are great examples of these).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.