Houston board chairman: We won’t be outbid for Tom Herman

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If that is the case, it is indeed Gregg Marshall all over again. The question becomes that of ambition vs. job security.
Yah, some people act like because texas is a higher profile job that means it's better. Not necessarily. Petersen fielded tons of offers - you know quite a few blue-chip schools courted him over the years - before he finally jumped, but Petersen liked it at BSu so he stayed until he was ready.

Herman is young and knows that Texas is a fiery mistress - if everything goes well, he has it made, but if not, it can seriously derail his career for while. If you remove money from the equation, then convince me why any sane coach would go to texas...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Yah, some people act like because texas is a higher profile job that means it's better. Not necessarily. Petersen fielded tons of offers - you know quite a few blue-chip schools courted him over the years - before he finally jumped, but Petersen liked it at BSu so he stayed until he was ready.

Herman is young and knows that Texas is a fiery mistress - if everything goes well, he has it made, but if not, it can seriously derail his career for while. If you remove money from the equation, then convince me why any sane coach would go to texas...
I think that's how Patterson is at TCU. He could have gone anywhere a couple of years ago but didn't. If he wins 8 or 9 games at TCU, its a great year.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Can't let the players make this call. If they wanted Strong to stay, they should have beat Kansas. Their control begins and ends with their play on the field.
There you go again...............bringing logic into the discussion. Yes, poor precious snowflakes forgot that the results on the field are what matters.

I hope the smoldering continues.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I pretty much agree with you but just want to play devils advocate. My concern would be that Herman's salary at Houston is basically being subsidized by a single booster. That's all well and good today but what about 5 years from now when coaching salaries are $10M+ per year? Is that booster going to continue to fund Herman's salary as long as Herman's at Houston? That's what makes Texas appealing. Their program makes enough money to keep up with the yearly increases in coaching salaries without relaying on a sole person to bankroll the head coach salary. If Herman goes to Texas and is successful he'll be set for life financially. That's probably true about Houston also but not as absolute because of what I mentioned above. I know that's something way in the future for Herman but it's something I would be thinking about if I were in that position.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
How on earth do you know this?
I don't know that for a fact just an educated guess based on the comments from the booster yesterday. I'm not up to speed about the financials of The University of Houston but I would be surprised if their athletic department could support a coaching salary of $10M+.

Let me clarify my comments. If I was Herman and knew that my salary was being subsidized by a booster it would give me pause and reason to consider options. Not saying I wouldn't stay at Houston but it would be something to consider..

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don;t read that as one guys saying he'll foot the bill, I just read it as him suggesting there's no chance it will happen. I doubt seriously that this booster is working in a vacuum...

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I like the tenacity from Houston but the long term upside at any non-power five job just isn't there. I'd be surprised if he doesn't jump.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think that's how Patterson is at TCU. He could have gone anywhere a couple of years ago but didn't. If he wins 8 or 9 games at TCU, its a great year.
There's a lot of job security in having unprecedented success at a school.

Look at Penn State and Paterno, he could literally get away with anything. They go from an independent to the Big 10 under him. Frank Beamer at Virginia Tech, they go from independent to a major conference. Bobby Bowden, same story. Gary Patterson fits the bill as well. He has TCU in a major conference, and his job seems pretty darn secure. If Houston is willing to pay Herman, he has to consider the possibility of this being a job he can hold for decades.

The expected thing of course is that he makes a move, but that isn't the safest thing.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
The expected thing of course is that he makes a move, but that isn't the safest thing.
Very true but most football coaches are competitive by nature. I suspect he'll seek a job where he can compete at the highest level rather than one where he'll never win a national title but is "safe."

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I don't know that for a fact just an educated guess based on the comments from the booster yesterday. I'm not up to speed about the financials of The University of Houston but I would be surprised if their athletic department could support a coaching salary of $10M+.

Let me clarify my comments. If I was Herman and knew that my salary was being subsidized by a booster it would give me pause and reason to consider options. Not saying I wouldn't stay at Houston but it would be something to consider..

Tillman isn't hurting...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Good point - wake me up when Herman actually achieves this at Houston.
I guess we could get a bit off track and discuss Charlie Strong as well, since some people seemed quite big on his accomplishments despite having accomplished nothing special either. It's easy to do that, right? One hot candidate gives way to another hot candidate, and the process results in a lot of chewed up and spit out coaches. One has to wonder if Strong would have been better off just staying in Louisville.

The thing worth pondering here though, and this is to my point with bringing up Bowden, is that it is easier to do that in low pressure environments. Winning at Boise St. or Houston is easier than winning in a power 5 conference. This can afford coaches the luxury of building something that takes time. You can't go to a Texas and really build something. You inherit something. That's the interesting contrast and I think it also explains why some of these guys can have fantastic success at one place and then move up and fail to replicate that.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
Someone asked on here earlier( I believe it was CrimsonAudio) : This is not a paraphrase - Why would a coach like Herman (money aside) want to take on the dumpster fire that is UT? You would inherit a group of players that are willing to essentially go on strike because they don't want their coach fired but appear to not want to put forth an effort to win an acceptable amnt of games so that this is not even an issue.
Herman and UH just beat a Louisville team that has the prospective Heisman winner on it and was still in the playoff picture. His job/livelihood is secure at UH for at least three more years if he doesn't do any better than what he has now.
If I'm Herman, I wait to see the situations at FSU, LSU, aTm etc before I commit to anything w/UT.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.