Will Florida vs. Florida State decide the LSU job?

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
All interesting points.

I think Fisher would lose a small dose of luster if he loses to Florida, but he does have an NC under his belt, and Orgeron does not.

Question is, who would FSU pursue if they do let Fisher walk?
Orgeron doesn't even have a winning record as a HC under his belt. I find it crazy that after firing Les 4 games in Coach O was ever under serious consideration. I assumed the motivation behind canning Les so early was to gain a competitive advantage on getting the hottest candidates -- not to keep an in house guy who has never really accomplished anything as a HC.

Frankly I don't really see the appeal of going to LSU for Jimbo. Sure, there's top notch money, elite in-state talent, and the ability to win a NC... But he has all of those things at FSU, and I'd rather deal with Dabo once a year than Saban. I guess if you were confident Saban was retiring soon LSU might be more appealing but that's no guarantee.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Orgeron doesn't even have a winning record as a HC under his belt. I find it crazy that after firing Les 4 games in Coach O was ever under serious consideration. I assumed the motivation behind canning Les so early was to gain a competitive advantage on getting the hottest candidates -- not to keep an in house guy who has never really accomplished anything as a HC.

Frankly I don't really see the appeal of going to LSU for Jimbo. Sure, there's top notch money, elite in-state talent, and the ability to win a NC... But he has all of those things at FSU, and I'd rather deal with Dabo once a year than Saban. I guess if you were confident Saban was retiring soon LSU might be more appealing but that's no guarantee.
Plus having to deal with other powerhouse programs in the west like AU/aTm AND you have a permanent crossover game vs UF..

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Would Jimbo really want to coach in the SEC West division?

He would get to play Alabama, Auburn,TAMU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, MSU and Fla every year.
That's a pretty stiff group year in and year out. Some are up, and some are down, but anyone of these can beat you on a bad day.

Jimbo might rather coach at Texas...
That's a good point. He already plays UF every year, does he really want to add Bama, the Barn, aTm, Arkansas, Ole Miss and MSU, while still playing UF EVERY year? Right now he pretty much only has to contend with Clemson and Louisville, and occasionally Miami might be good enough.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Plus having to deal with other powerhouse programs in the west like AU/aTm AND you have a permanent crossover game vs UF..
There has to be reasons Jimbo is interested in leaving. I know FSU had some issues with the conference, some financial issues as well. So, he might be unhappy. But, what does he gain from going to LSU? That's a big question. I do not buy the idea that it's easier to recruit there, that he'll have more talent. I looked, both he and LSU have had a lot of top 5 classes. But if anything, FSU has had more talent than LSU. So, practically speaking no, he won't have more talent as LSU. Will he have an easier schedule? Sure doesn't seem like it. Will he have more job security? I doubt it. So he needs to really want out or FSU needs to be really fed up with him in my opinion.

Only Fisher knows what he wants. If he leaves, it won't be because he lost or won that game.
That's not the only equation though. There's the wife and the mistress. I have trouble believing everyone's position is set in stone. That's hard to buy. FSU has to decide how much they will pay to keep Jimbo. Jimbo has to decide how much he wants to leave, and LSU has to decide how much they'll pay him. There at this point have to be factions at both schools arguing their point. It's hard to fathom with things hanging in the balance, the outcome of the game has 0 impact on either side. May be I view things a bit differently though.

The questions that will remain until this deal is announced will be as follows:
A - Will LSU up their offer?
B - Will FSU counter their offer?
C - Will Jimbo have a change of heart?

Those all seem like they could be subject to change.

Last edited:
There has to be reasons Jimbo is interested in leaving. I know FSU had some issues with the conference, some financial issues as well. So, he might be unhappy. But, what does he gain from going to LSU? That's a big question. I do not buy the idea that it's easier to recruit there, that he'll have more talent. I looked, both he and LSU have had a lot of top 5 classes. But if anything, FSU has had more talent than LSU. So, practically speaking no, he won't have more talent as LSU. Will he have an easier schedule? Sure doesn't seem like it. Will he have more job security? I doubt it. So he needs to really want out or FSU needs to be really fed up with him in my opinion.

That's not the only equation though. There's the wife and the mistress. I have trouble believing everyone's position is set in stone. That's hard to buy. FSU has to decide how much they will pay to keep Jimbo. Jimbo has to decide how much he wants to leave, and LSU has to decide how much they'll pay him. There at this point have to be factions at both schools arguing their point. It's hard to fathom with things hanging in the balance, the outcome of the game has 0 impact on either side. May be I view things a bit differently though.

The questions that will remain until this deal is announced will be as follows:
A - Will LSU up their offer?
B - Will FSU counter their offer?
C - Will Jimbo have a change of heart?

Those all seem like they could be subject to change.
One thing I will say as well is that what about the assistants. He's been wanting to pay them more but it just hasn't happened over in Tallahassee. That could nudge him West. There isn't really anyone else on the market for FSU. They better pony up.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus [emoji336] using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
One thing I will say as well is that what about the assistants. He's been wanting to pay them more but it just hasn't happened over in Tallahassee. That could nudge him West. There isn't really anyone else on the market for FSU. They better pony up.
I agree. FSU has to be willing to pay up to keep Jimbo. I think both parties would do well to appreciate what they have.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree. FSU has to be willing to pay up to keep Jimbo. I think both parties would do well to appreciate what they have.
They are not only willing to keep him, they are giddy to have him.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
I'm sorry but these jobs riding on ONE game over and over is ridiculous. If that truly is the case then I think you might have found the problem!
Could not agree more. When you are paying 5+ million a year for a head coach, you better be looking at a complete body of work. Heck, if one game told the story, Jimbo wouldn't be the hot topic due to the Louisville debacle.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm sorry but these jobs riding on ONE game over and over is ridiculous. If that truly is the case then I think you might have found the problem!
Well for the record, I tried to clarify my personal take on the original post. I don't see one game as changing anyone's mind, I just think if it has any impact at all, it could make the difference.

There's a lot of variables at play here. I mean I'm an Orlando Magic fan, I saw a coach take the job, have a press conference then back out. We saw Rich Rod as a done deal and he backed out. We saw the Gregg Marshall hiring situation. These deals can come really cut it close in terms of getting done or not. If LSU refuses to pay more, or FSU refuses to pay more, or Jimbo asks either party for more, those could end up being the difference. Bobby Bowden didn't take the Alabama job because they demanded he interview. There's a lot between now and Jimbo having a signed contract/press conference with LSU. So, we'll see...

Last edited:

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus [emoji336] using Tapatalk
Buster Brown is still out there ... somewhere - prodigal son? second coming?

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I'm not one of those guys who claims to be 'in the know', but my understanding is it's a done deal...

And I don't mean to present my opinion as "in the know" either! But I know enough about business to understand that if a major program is stealing the head coach from another major program, the real conversation will not wait till next week. Publicity might wait "for the kid's sake" but not the business.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm not one of those guys who claims to be 'in the know', but my understanding is it's a done deal...
All signs point to that, but honestly I just can not fathom FSU is really going to just let him walk (and plenty of done deals have been undone in the past). How can they not have a conversation with his agent that says: "What do we have to do to keep Jimbo"? On the other hand, how can the agent say "nothing"? The remarkable thing here is that this isn't a coach leaving suddenly. This isn't a powerful program raiding a weak one. If FSU really can't or won't do anything to hang onto Jimbo there has to be more to the story.

To recap, Jimbo last year was basically a done deal and Les Miles was out of there. Then that didn't happen. Then Miles was prematurely fired after a slow start. Was Jimbo the immediate focus? Not from what was being said. Herman name was coming up, then an Orgeron contingent emerged. All the while, apparently Jimbo was waiting for his beloved, with no resentment. And FSU, for what ever reason, despite having plenty of time to act hasn't? If this situation isn't somewhat fluid, if this really is the end of the story already then a lot must have gone on behind the scenes at FSU to make both parties fed up with each other.

The similarities at the programs are remarkable. Four year recruiting average? FSU is 3, LSU is 4. Athletic department income is 138 million at LSU and 120 million for FSU (Alabama if further behind Ohio State). I get that once they fired Les Miles, LSU would want someone with a similar level of success. From Jimbo's perspective, the situation this most compares to is Beliema. In which case, he basically gave up wins and job security to pay his assistants more.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.