For the Whiskey/Bourbon Drinkers. What's your "go to"?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This! To get a really good Scotch, you at least need to spend $40 to $50 bucks (e.g., Laphroig 10, Ardbeg 10). You can obtain really good bourbons for under $30 bucks! Wild Turkey 101 is a fantastic one that is around $25. I've heard it's a blend of bourbons aged 6 to 8 years. You just can't beat that. Also, there are some quality bourbons in the under $20 range. Heaven Hill green label is aged for 6 years, but it's only sold in Kentucky. I can find that for under $15. Also, Evan Williams BiB White label is also another really good bourbon for under $15 and it's readily available just about anywhere.

In the $40 to $50 range, you can get some high quality bourbons such as Four Roses Single Barrel. It's hard to find now, but Henry McKenna BiB is excellent!
This has become one of my favorites. I absolutely love the smoked vanilla scent you get when taking a sip. Plus, the tasting experience last several minutes after the actual liquid has gone down your throat. Elijah Craig Small Batch is some good stuff as well.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I was with two friends in a European city a couple of years ago. The hotel had a "whiskey library," sort of an upscale bar. My two friends were taking turns buying rounds of scotch over the days we were spending in the hotel. When I joined them for a dram, it was my turn to buy, so I ordered a round and made the mistake of letting the bartender select the scotch (which was what my friends had been doing). It was a nice scotch. When I got the bill, it was $150 for three shots. Ouch.
To my pallet, it wasn't worth 1/10 of that money.
Live and learn. Some folks will pay stupid money for a scotch just because somebody told them it was good.
My personal favorites are Lagavulin and Laphroiag.
Agree on Lagavulin and Laphroaig. Mrs. Basket Case and I visited Islay a few years ago. Small island, big whisky and not easy to get to. But worth the effort.

A couple of others to suggest: Ardbeg. Another Islay, distillery near Laphroaig and Lagavulin, which are only a few miles apart. Kind of a middle point between Laphroaig’s medicinal tar and Lagavulin’s pear. Like all Islays, heavy peat. Almost like drinking smoke.

If you like Laphroaig, you might want to try Caol Ila. Pronounced as if it were one word, “CUH-lee-la.” It’s even more peaty than Laphroaig, though it doesn’t have quite the tar.

While I love the Islays, I also acknowledge that they’re an acquired taste. Talisker is the only major single malt from the Isle of Skye. It has some of the sea / brine notes that the Islays have, but not quite as much peat, so it’s a bit more approachable. Talisker’s signature is a blast of black pepper on the finish. Unmistakeable, even for beginners.

I’d also mention that Lagavulin and Ardbeg offer double-matured bottles that take some of the edge off the full-throated versions. They’re matured as normal, except for the last six months, when they go into casks previously used for sherry or wine.

Lagavulin’s is just called, “Lagavulin Double Matured.” Ardbeg’s version is called, “Ardbeg Uigeadail.” Had to ask a local how to pronounce that. Phonetically, it’s, “OO-guh-dahl.”

Mrs. Basket Case likes them.....naturally, they’re a bit more expensive.

If Laphroaig offers something similar, I’m not aware of it.

One last thing — I don’t generally pay for age. Sometimes, the older whisky just isn’t as good. I’ve rarely had one that justified the price difference over the distillery’s standard age.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
While I love the Islays, I also acknowledge that they’re an acquired taste. Talisker is the only major single malt from the Isle of Skye. It has some of the sea / brine notes that the Islays have, but not quite as much peat, so it’s a bit more approachable. Talisker’s signature is a blast of black pepper on the finish. Unmistakeable, even for beginners.
I took my father to the Isle of Skye. Beautiful. We went to a pub in Portree and had a pint. Young men and old men were taking turns playing Celtic music on fiddle and accordion. It was a sublime experience.
Lagavulin’s is just called, “Lagavulin Double Matured.” Ardbeg’s version is called, “Ardbeg Uigeadail.” Had to ask a local how to pronounce that. Phonetically, it’s, “OO-guh-dahl.”
I am pretty proficient in French. My German is okay. My Russian is pretty good. And my Croatian is passable. For the life of me I cannot understand the rules for pronunciation in Scots Gaelic. I have no ability to predict the pronunciation of a Scots Gaelic word based on how it is spelled. I think Scots Gaelic spelling is designed to screw with non-native speakers.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I took my father to the Isle of Skye. Beautiful. We went to a pub in Portree and had a pint. Young men and old men were taking turns playing Celtic music on fiddle and accordion. It was a sublime experience.
Mrs. Basket Case and I spent two nights in Portree! Stayed in a 1970s-80s house converted to a B&B. Nice, but no-nonsense owner.

This was about a year ahead of the independence referendum, and she had some interesting, highly common sense, thoughts.

Went to a pub one of those nights, and small as Portree is, I bet it’s the one you and your dad were in. That particular night was the final soccer championship of one league or another (I get confused as to what the order of league quality is).

Chelsea won, and it was the first time in forever that they had gotten the championship. To this day, I can hear an obviously drunk fan yelling, “Gaow Chaw-say” was having the time of his life.

I hope he remembered it.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
How was it? I'd also like to try the BiB version.
my wife and i really enjoyed it. i don't drink too much hard liquor these days, but we usually keep a couple of bottles of bourbon/scotch/whiskey around for emergencies and we will be adding this one to our repertoire

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
My brother-in-law is impossible to shop for. But he does love whiskey. So every Christmas I pick a region of the world and gift him an assortment of bottles from small distilleries that sound interesting, have at least decent reviews, but no one has ever heard of.

This year, it's northwest Ohio. There's a basically one-man operation up here that became regionally famous for their Applejack (oddly popular in the Midwest). But they make bourbon as well, which is aged in oak and finished in their Applejack casks. Might be interesting.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I really enjoyed the Maker's Mark and the Crown Royal last night at my office Christmas Party. The bartender had a heavy pour so it was a lot. I had the Maker's Mark neat and the Crown Royal on the rocks.

Reactions: Bamabuzzard

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I really enjoyed the Maker's Mark and the Crown Royal last night at my office Christmas Party. The bartender had a heavy pour so it was a lot. I had the Maker's Mark neat and the Crown Royal on the rocks.
Makers Mark is my "regular". I used to be a Crown drinker until I was introduced to Makers. Get you some Four Roses Single Barrel and die a happy man.

• Thank You
Reactions: DzynKingRTR

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.