The playoff committee is about to get tested

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
And I think that the conference championship games need to be dissolved. They add a complexity to this that should not exist. The best 4 teams should play, even if they all come from the same conference.
I totally agree. I have never been a fan of any CCG, but as we all know and like to say, it is about the money. I also agree with KrAzY, in what universe is 10-2 better than 11-1. PSU got blown out by Michigan and loss to a 7-5 Pitt team that gave up 61 points to Syracuse yesterday. As I said before, if Washington beats Colorado and Clemson beats Va Tech, then the winner of the PSU vs Wisconsin gets the Rose Bowl.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
If Penn State wins the conference it'll be 1. Bama 2. Clemson 3. Ohio State 4. Penn State; only change will be if Penn State loses that they'll be replaced by Washington. Wisconsin can't keep Washington out, but Penn State can.

Thats what I came up with after more thinking.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
If Penn State wins the conference it'll be 1. Bama 2. Clemson 3. Ohio State 4. Penn State; only change will be if Penn State loses that they'll be replaced by Washington. Wisconsin can't keep Washington out, but Penn State can.

Nope. OSU will be the only Big10 team. Washington is in if they win.

N AL Tider

1st Team
Jun 18, 2007
Sweet Home AL
I'm thinking that Colorado will settle this argument for the CFPC and knock off Washington. You'll then have Bama, Clemson, tOSU, Wisc/PSU in the playoffs.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Actually I hope you are right because we would have a tougher out with Washington than PSU.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
As I'm listening to the experts...it seems it will end like this:

1. Bama
2. Clemson
3. tOSU
4. Washington (if they win)
4. PSU/Wisc winner (if Washington loses)

No Michigan, Colorado or OU, unless Clemson loses

IOnlyWantRings

Nov 20, 2016
PA Tide Fan;2933758 but I think after the conference championships it could look like this: 1. Alabama 2. Ohio State 3. Clemson 4. Wisconsin or Penn State[/QUOTE said:
I'd bet anything that's how it will look at the end of next weekend.

Washington will be the odd man out and the Big 10 will get 2 teams. I actually think we could lose the SECCG and still get in. Why test it though. :)

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I don't see how Ohio State stays in if Penn State wins against Wisconsin. Penn should be in if they win. Same as Washington.
This. PSU beat OSU. If they win the conference they should be in, and if UW and CU win they should be in.
If OSU gets in under this scenario, IMO the playoff system is no longer valid.
Now if Wisconsin wins, Houston we have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
This. PSU beat OSU. If they win the conference they should be in, and if UW and CU win they should be in.
If OSU gets in under this scenario, IMO the playoff system is no longer valid.
Now if Wisconsin wins, Houston we have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OSU is clearly one of the 4 best teams. PSU clearly is not, same for Colorado. The playoff should be about getting the 4 best teams, IMO.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
You can shuffle them many different ways but in the end I do not think it will matter. As long as Bama and Clemson are 1 & 2 I think we get another Tide-Dabo matchup part 2.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
First off, just like the BCS, this is all subjective and in the hands of a group of PEOPLE who (no matter what they state) all have their own agendas.
Secondly, it's about the money matchups. This is not really entirely about getting THE BEST 4 Teams in the playoff.
If Bama goes undefeated we make it in and I'm not too entirely concerned about any of the other three teams that might make it in to challenge us. on TideFans.com:pDT_Armataz_53:

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
OSU is clearly one of the 4 best teams. PSU clearly is not, same for Colorado. The playoff should be about getting the 4 best teams, IMO.
But Penn State beat Ohio State.

The Committee's own words is that the only way a Non-Con Champ gets in over a Con-Champ is if the Non-Con Champ is unequivocally better then the Con-Champ. Well, in this case, it might be Penn State and Penn State beat Ohio State.

fireater

All-SEC
Oct 12, 2008
Laramie, WY
First off, just like the BCS, this is all subjective and in the hands of a group of PEOPLE who (no matter what they state) all have their own agendas.
Secondly, it's about the money matchups. This is not really entirely about getting THE BEST 4 Teams in the playoff.
If Bama goes undefeated we make it in and I'm not too entirely concerned about any of the other teams that might make it in to challenge us. on TideFans.com:pDT_Armataz_53:
MONEY IS INVOLVED? Next thing you will say it TV ratings are a factor! And the fact the PAC 12 hasn't been in the playoffs yet. Then you will want to point out that if the big 10 gets the the #2 and #4 seeds it could be an all big 10 NCG. Where's my blue font? Gotta be here someplace!��

I am looking at the whole picture and it says OSU is in IMO. If we want the regular season to matter then the losses, all of them, have to count just like the wins.
I agree, but then the conference championship has to be taken into account as well. It carries weight with the committee. I would also take into account how teams are winning as well. OSU they way they won, though they did win, over a 2-7 MSU team was terrible. I believe Penn State at this point is more deserving than OSU. Michigan should be a no go.

Sent from my iPad Pro 12.9" using Tapatalk Roll Tide!

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
But Penn State beat Ohio State.

The Committee's own words is that the only way a Non-Con Champ gets in over a Con-Champ is if the Non-Con Champ is unequivocally better then the Con-Champ. Well, in this case, it might be Penn State and Penn State beat Ohio State.
But Pitt beat Penn State. You have to look at the entire body of work and OSU is clearly better than Penn State.

LSU beat Bama in 2011 and it was clear who the better team was...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.