Stat of the night: Number of tackles for loss by Auburn DL?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Have to admit, that`s a stunner for me personally. I had posted earlier that I thought our O line had better bring their " lunch pails" to work yesterday. Hell`s bells, they brought a four course meal !! Sure have to feel more confident moving forward after that performance, IMHO. Complete reversal from the week before.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Pretty much as expected for me. I posted in the other thread that AU has 2 good defensive linemen, Lawson and Adams, but those 2 are very inconsistent and the rest of the group is pretty average. Even when the AU defensive line is playing at is best they're better at holding the point of attach and stopping the run than penetrating and getting TFLs and sacks..

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Even more impressive when you consider that in addition to Bama's 44 rushing attempts, 20 of the 28 pass completions were behind the LOS. Therefore, the barn had 64 opportunities for TFLs and failed on all of them.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
We were smart. We doubled Adams and Lawson did not much if anything.
Jonah Williams has the *potential* to be the best offensive tackle Alabama has ever had. And when you consider how many great tackles Alabama has seen come through this place, that's saying a lot. Most of Lawson getting stoned last night had to do with Williams.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
But wait, wasn't that supposed to be the best defense we'd see all year save LSU?
If you're talking about just the defensive line, it was the best Alabama will see and better than LSU's because of the depth Auburn had at tackle. Overall defense, though, there are several that are better because of the LB/DB groups. Holsey not being 100 percent was a big blow for Auburn last night but even with him at full song, AU's back seven is average at best.

If you want to see how good that DL is, though, look at the tape of Adams working against Bozeman last night. I'll set this up by saying Bozeman has done a fantastic job all year and he's one of my favorite players on this team, but this isn't going to be his favorite week of film study. We had to run away from that matchup to have success and if Alabama hadn't spent an extra lineman on doubling Adams then that zero-TFL stat would have been a lot different. You could make the argument that Adams, by himself, may have been the only thing standing between Alabama and a 30-point blowout and you probably wouldn't have been wrong.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
If you're talking about just the defensive line, it was the best Alabama will see and better than LSU's because of the depth Auburn had at tackle. Overall defense, though, there are several that are better because of the LB/DB groups. Holsey not being 100 percent was a big blow for Auburn last night but even with him at full song, AU's back seven is average at best.

If you want to see how good that DL is, though, look at the tape of Adams working against Bozeman last night. I'll set this up by saying Bozeman has done a fantastic job all year and he's one of my favorite players on this team, but this isn't going to be his favorite week of film study. We had to run away from that matchup to have success and if Alabama hadn't spent an extra lineman on doubling Adams then that zero-TFL stat would have been a lot different. You could make the argument that Adams, by himself, may have been the only thing standing between Alabama and a 30-point blowout and you probably wouldn't have been wrong.
Thanks Jess, my thoughts all along after watching them play earlier in the year. I remember being disappointed that we didn`t get Adams. Anybody remember how/why that might have happened? That guy`s good, I don`t care what anybody says.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Jonah Williams has the *potential* to be the best offensive tackle Alabama has ever had. And when you consider how many great tackles Alabama has seen come through this place, that's saying a lot. Most of Lawson getting stoned last night had to do with Williams.

I agree. Jonah has been named a player of the week 7 out of 12 weeks as a TF at RT. Unheard of. Cam and Jonah stopped their edge rush and started pounding them to open up some good holes in the ground game. I'm sure he will make Freshmen
A-A team and he deserves an All-SEC mention on the 2nd or 3rd team at least.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
No to call you out Jess, but Bozeman was named one of our players of the week this week. It may have been more the guard play than Bradley. I have not watched that particular match-up so I am saying this only based on the POW award.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
What's really interesting is that going into last season we all seemed to be concerned about the quality of our OL coaching!
:biggrin2:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I thought I remember Adams tackling Harris in our backfield by himself one time.

Don't know how he didn't get credit for that tackle.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
No to call you out Jess, but Bozeman was named one of our players of the week this week. It may have been more the guard play than Bradley. I have not watched that particular match-up so I am saying this only based on the POW award.
I've only made it through re-watching the first half looking at the OL, and I thought that Bozeman won more than he lost by a long shot. He did get some occasional double team help, but mostly it was a chip or shove before the OG moved onto the second level. Didn't seem like Adams demanded a full on double team that often. A couple of Adams tackles were after 4-5 yards gains (yes, he was off the LOS that far). Related topic, Kirven flat out locked Adams up a few times and had him a couple yards down field also. He played really well, especially for having just moved to OG recently.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I've only made it through re-watching the first half looking at the OL, and I thought that Bozeman won more than he lost by a long shot. He did get some occasional double team help, but mostly it was a chip or shove before the OG moved onto the second level. Didn't seem like Adams demanded a full on double team that often. A couple of Adams tackles were after 4-5 yards gains (yes, he was off the LOS that far). Related topic, Kirven flat out locked Adams up a few times and had him a couple yards down field also. He played really well, especially for having just moved to OG recently.
That`s very encouraging as we move forward. It would be great to see our O line play its best football of the year starting with the Auburn game ! Talk about peaking at the right time, if it happens !

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.