Question: Is the B1G for real or a Product of ESPN Hype?

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
The B1G is certainly better than they have been in recent seasons but there was not much room to go down. I don't buy that they are the elite conference in CFB and I predict that bowl season will amplify my opinion.

Ohio State has beaten Oklahoma (so did Houston and Oklahoma has played nobody else) Other than that, OSU has played other over-rated B1G teams and struggled with several, losing to Penn St.

Mighty Bowling Green 3-8 AAC
Mighty Tulsa 9-3 AAC
Oklahoma - real good Texas League team
Mighty Rutgers 2-10
Indiana 6-6 ooooh Shreveport eligible
Wisconsin decent team in the over hyped B1G - beat LSU in opener but never should have happened
Lost to Penn State
Mighty Northwestern - 6-6 - struggled
Mighty Nebraska 9-3 with all 3 losses in the B1G
Mighty Maryland 6-6
Michigan (go for two) State 3-9
Michigan 10-2 - another team with internal credentials fame - a couple of good wins (Colorado & Penn State), a loss to Iowa and wins over the same B1G patsies as OSU

OSU opponents are roughly .500

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
my impression of the big 10 is a dinosaur conference still playing 3 yards and a cloud of dust. within their conference they are big,ugly guys that play hard and coached hard. I think penn state is changing the scene. while they are the media favorites, they are not there, and wont be until they too change like Alabama has.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
This year, IMO, the B1G is a better conference than the SEC. After Alabama, the next best team is 9-3 Florida. The B1G has a 1 loss tOSU, 2 losses Wisconsin, Michigan and PSU. The SEC, especially the East, is really bad and an 8-4 LSU is second best in the West. I don't watch ESPN so I have no idea and don't care what they say. It is simply a down year for the SEC outside of Alabama.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I guess it depends on your definition of "for real." If the B1G isn't the best conference they're the 2nd best. OSU beat us and won the NC in 2014. They have a better coaches at the top of the conference than the SEC. Harbaugh, Meyer, Franklin and Dantonio. Who's the next best coach in the SEC after Saban? Good coaching hires have allowed the B1G to catch up or surpass the SEC.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
The B1G is the best conference this year, but that's pretty much only by default. The rest of the SEC is hot garbage. That being said, the B1G isn't THAT good, but they are the best conference.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Tell you what - anything resembling an elite conference died a couple of years ago. Certainly a depleted team by injuries but the SEC East Champ nonetheless got bullied by their in state ACC rival last night (for a third year in a row). Florida, who defeated the number two team in the SEC West last week, will probably get pummeled again for the second straight year in Atlanta and then go on to embarrass the SEC again in the bowl game like they did against the Wolverines last year. All you have these days is a collective spattering of elite teams the belong to certain conferences anymore but the concept of elite conference is really a joke at this point.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Yes, I think they are for real. My disdain for Meyer and Harbaugh aside. They are elite coaches and it was only common logic that when they were hired into the conference they were going to improve the conference. Wisconsin's coach has really surprised me as I think he is turning into a really good coach who has turned Whisky into a solid team. James Franklin and Penn St are much better than a few years ago.

The SEC on the other hand, has really disappointed me. But the reality of it is I think Saban is the reason for a lot of it. ESPN had an article up on their website a week or so ago and it was discussed on one of their discussion panels. That Saban has neutered the entire conference due to other teams having shorter leashes with new hires in trying to keep up with Saban's success. I think the SEC is the third best conference this season.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Tell you what - anything resembling an elite conference died a couple of years ago. Certainly a depleted team by injuries but the SEC East Champ nonetheless got bullied by their in state ACC rival last night (for a third year in a row). Florida, who defeated the number two team in the SEC West last week, will probably get pummeled again for the second straight year in Atlanta and then go on to embarrass the SEC again in the bowl game like they did against the Wolverines last year. All you have these days is a collective spattering of elite teams the belong to certain conferences anymore but the concept of elite conference is really a joke at this point.
I agree, just cannot wrap my arms around the B1G being so great that they deserve 2 teams in the playoffs, even if the conference leaders win out. Heather Dimich seems to think the "committee" has a mandate to find a way to get OSU into the playoffs. I think if you win your conference, you should have a leg up on anyone else in your conference. If Washington or Penn State fall, then there is a case for OSU.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The SEC had a good run going...with a strong set of coaches across the board. Only problem for them...they couldn't beat Saban. We've seen a rash of good coaches weeded out because they just couldn't keep up with Bama. What's left is a bunch of "I hope one day he blossoms into becoming a really good coach."

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I do think the Big 10 is the better conference as a whole this year. They get to benefit from the SEC having a really down year. But, Alabama will just have to break their hearts in the playoff.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
SEC is pretty weak this year. Alabama then a bunch of 4 loss teams (counting UF preemptively). Hard to talk smack there.

So really the problem is, who else is there? This season the B1G has the best collection of good teams going by record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Finally, someone other than myself sees it.

Sent from my iPad Pro 12.9" using Tapatalk Roll Tide!
I've been saying in many many threads on this forum that Ohio State does not pass the eyeball test this season. Their offense is slow overall for a D1 team. Samuel is their only real speed. Their WR's have struggled all season long to get consistent separation.

Keep in mind, I'm not taking anything away from Ohio State and its wins, its just that I think this brand of Ohio State Football is inferior to Ohio State brands we have seen in the past few years. Their offense lacks top end speed and overall talent. Meyer has had to scale the offense back A LOT this season. They are very very vanilla on offense. Their entire offense is pretty much Barrett drops back to pass and nobody is open and he takes off and runs. Barrett is a very very underwhelming passer too. I think hes a below average passer honestly. Jalen Hurts is a better thrower then JT Barrett right NOW.

The playoff committee might look at Ohio State the same way and drop them out of the playoff and slide Penn State in assuming Penn State beats Wiscy.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
It is all coaching. When the SEC Was so dominant, the conference had really good coaching. Unfortunately I blame CNS. Every school wanted a coach to best Nick. The replacements were not as good as the coaches they replaced.
Now, the big ten has Dantonio, Meyer, Harbaugh, Chryst , Franklin. The SEC is still competitive because of the natural recruiting area around the Southeast, but it is not the far and away the most dominant conference like it was in years past.

I've been saying in many many threads on this forum that Ohio State does not pass the eyeball test this season. Their offense is slow overall for a D1 team. Samuel is their only real speed. Their WR's have struggled all season long to get consistent separation.

Keep in mind, I'm not taking anything away from Ohio State and its wins, its just that I think this brand of Ohio State Football is inferior to Ohio State brands we have seen in the past few years. Their offense lacks top end speed and overall talent. Meyer has had to scale the offense back A LOT this season. They are very very vanilla on offense. Their entire offense is pretty much Barrett drops back to pass and nobody is open and he takes off and runs. Barrett is a very very underwhelming passer too. I think hes a below average passer honestly. Jalen Hurts is a better thrower then JT Barrett right NOW.

The playoff committee might look at Ohio State the same way and drop them out of the playoff and slide Penn State in assuming Penn State beats Wiscy.
It could happen. If they put it on Wis it would be hard to leave them out of the playoffs.

Sent from my iPad Pro 12.9" using Tapatalk Roll Tide!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
How many of your names will I pull up saying we would beat Ohio St two years ago? I see a few of you right now.

And why do you think ESPN hypes the B1G? They have an SEC contract as well.

But I'm sure that's part of the conspiracy theory, right?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.