Going to an 8 team playoff (Talking about likelihood of 8-team expansion)

centerstar

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2011
I don't like the version we have now and I don't want it to expand. However, if it did, the version JessN proposed, 5 conference champs with 3 at large is the best model with one modification: the at large would have a play in game, like a wild card. Same number of games to the championship as conference champs. Another caveat, if at the end of the regular season, no team in a big 5 conference is in the top 20, there is another play in game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't mind the 8-team playoff in a vacuum but I'm a proponent that we don't get rid of conference championships in the process. I think it can exist in duality that generally keeps the season competitive. I'm starting to talk myself out of auto-bids altogether and just going for the 8 best teams with a committee and an RPI metric where the top 4 or so MUST be selected.

The media types will want more cross-sectionality because they think that is what will bring in the ratings (more markets interested in a single matchup) but I think they understate the regionalism of the sport. What we really need is just a tad more standardization in champion determination and scheduling agreed upon by the power conferences. Stop the FCS games and just give 'em a big pool of money off the playoff revenue or whatever. Everyone has a conference title game or everyone doesn't. One or the other. Establish some set methods to assure that at least 1 power conference OOC opponent is on every power conference team's schedule. All of this in the name of making better apple-to-apple resume assessment and not to make the championships at the conference level an auto-bid.

I don't like the 8-team playoff out of the vacuum. It is bad for the players. We ought to start paying these power conference kids if we're going to make them play so many games that risk their pro football futures.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I'm sure I'm somewhat jaded given the nature of our ongoing run under Saban. However, I'm not a fan of expanding to any number. The only benefit of expanding, to say 8 teams, is to the advantage of teams that perpetually finish somewhere between 8th to 15th in that rankings. An expanded playoff is their only realistic hope of getting in, outside of a 2010 auburn-like once in a generation magical season.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Go NFL route with 6. 8 is just too many. Reward 1-2 with byes. On campus game with 3/4 hosting. Then start. I still like 4 though.
I can't stand the idea of giving byes in a college playoff because the rankings are so subjective. The only way I would like an eight team playoff is the same thing I've said for years. I believe conference championships should mean something, so let the five conference champs automatically qualify and then add the three highest rated at large teams. Let those eight teams play in the four major bowls. The winners then play a final four.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The only conference with a foolproof way of determining a champion is the Big-12 with their 9-game round-robin conference schedule w/ a 10-member conference. But they managed to screw that up in 2014 by playing coy with their tiebreaker rules in the hopes of producing two playoff participants and instead got none. Every other conference has a system that can produce a conference winner that isn't the definitive best team in the conference.

Was 2001 LSU the best team in the SEC that year? Heck no. They pulled off the biggest SECCG upset in the game's history and probably started the slow death of the Phillip Fulmer regime in Knoxville by keeping them out of the Rose Bowl against Miami. And Tennessee was very clearly the only team in college football with enough NFL talent on their roster to even think of beating that Miami team in 2001.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Since you just threw it out there. I think we should go back to the old BCS system, Why let 8 prima donnas sit at the Gaylord resort and pontificate and vote. I dont care that they are x football coaches or ad, or secretary of state. They all come with personal biases. If its not a full playoff like division II then let the bloodletting begin. I think it was more fun when the BCS had to take into count the AP, USA , and computer rankings. My god this crap on Tuesday nite is worse than watching Richard Simmons infomercials. I am sick of their ugly trophy, at least the BCS trophy had class. I just hope Penn State wins the Big10 and they committee chooses OSU instead. Then we will have calls for the cpf be disbanded . What say you.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The Committee finds themselves in a quandary.
Can they justify taking a team over their conference winners.
This year has been a perfect storm for the playoff committee.

I hate the idea of going to 8 teams... Next will be 16...
There will always be a favorite son on the outside, BECAUSE THEY JUST AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH.
The committee could easily solve this problem by following their own rules.
Conference winners, then if needed highest ranked teams.
Wouldn't be a popular fix...

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
The contract says the 4 team playoff runs through the 2025-26 season so hopefully we don't have to worry about it for another 9 years. I guess the contract could probably be broken however if there's a big outcry for change. Personally I liked the BCS.

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
I have always been a supporter of an 8 team playoff. I am glad we at least got it to 4 teams at this point even though I am not fond of a committee choosing the teams. I think that some of the folks here against an 8 team playoff might look at it a little different if Bama was a team that was ranked 5-10 with 2 losses and a chance to play for a conference championship. The poster who said the Mich-OSU game wouldn't have meant nothing if we had an 8 team playoff is being ridicules. No matter what system is in place, those two teams want to beat each other no matter what. Same with the Iron Bowl.

The NFL has 32 teams and 12 make the playoffs. There is a 37.5% chance an NFL team can make the playoffs. In the FBS you have 128 teams and only 8 can make the playoffs. That is only 6% but I understand some teams paths to the playoffs would have varying degrees of difficulty since not every team is in a conference. Don't kid yourselves people, every game would still count. Ohio St is one of the best teams in the country and no matter if you have a 4 or 8 team playoff, they deserve to be there even without winning their conference. What if Bama had been left out in 2011 under the old bcs system? A lot of us would have been wanting a playoff. Lets don't lie.

My eight teams would be the 5 conference champions with the same rules to win your conference championship. The 3 At-Large teams can be figured out with the old bcs formula or just strictly an average of the more famous computer rankings. I am sure Ohio St would get in as one of the At-Larges. Just because you are a 1 or 2 loss team doesn't mean you not a very good team. Things happen with injuries, fluke plays, and last but not least, bad officiating.

If there would have been a 4 or 8 team playoff in 2013, most Bama fans would have not been griping about Bama making the playoffs even though they didn't win their conference. AU might have griped!;)

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Nobody with three losses should ever be playing for the national title. This almost assures some will be. Bama could have taken 2 more bye-weeks this year by starting the bench and taking the risk of a loss ... as could have anyone else in the country.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If you expand the playoffs to 8, cut the reg season back to 11.... (which they won't do), 15 games is too many games for these kids....

Take out the cupcake week, replace with a second bye....

The cupcakes then go back to FCS status because they lose the cupcake payday.....and the system rights itself

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
There are 128 teams in FBS, but in reality only those in P5 leagues are going to make it. So that narrows the potential field to about 64. Plus every league has a Vandy or Kentucky that is just happy to get to a bowl occasionally.

So maybe 50-55 can realistically start the season thinking they can make the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IOnlyWantRings

Nov 20, 2016
I think if form holds true the 4 teams will be:

AL, Clem, OSU, PSU

I see no way they put in OSU and leave out the Big 10 champion. That would end up screwing Wash. but their SOS is pretty much Baylor West so I would be all for it. You have to schedule better non conference.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
What the heck, let's have a 128 team playoff format. That way nobody feelings get hurt.

Four team playoffs, means #5 and 6 were complaining about being left out. Going to 8 team playoffs means #10 and 11 will be complaining and so on and so on. It's a slippery slope they need to end NOW. The playoffs needs to be a reward for the best teams that survive the season not some open invitation that any and all teams are allow to participate. Playoffs need to be for the best of the best, period. Four teams is it. Teams outside of the top 4 want to complain then get better and get in the next year. We need to raise the bar of competition not lower.

Anything outside of a four team playoff is a tremendous disservice to the sport.

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
What the heck, let's have a 128 team playoff format. That way nobody feelings get hurt.

Four team playoffs, means #5 and 6 were complaining about being left out. Going to 8 team playoffs means #10 and 11 will be complaining and so on and so on. It's a slippery slope they need to end NOW. The playoffs needs to be a reward for the best teams that survive the season not some open invitation that any and all teams are allow to participate. Playoffs need to be for the best of the best, period. Four teams is it. Teams outside of the top 4 want to complain then get better and get in the next year. We need to raise the bar of competition not lower.

Anything outside of a four team playoff is a tremendous disservice to the sport.
I probably could live with that if they could figure out a way to determine the 4 teams without the human element. Too much bias.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.