Going to an 8 team playoff (Talking about likelihood of 8-team expansion)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I probably could live with that if they could figure out a way to determine the 4 teams without the human element. Too much bias.
You realize that 2/3 of the BCS formula was human, right? The human polls made up 2/3 of the BCS ranking.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
With an 8 team playoff the OSU vs Michigan game yesterday would have been meaningless. I don't think that's what we want from CFB..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
With a 6 team playoff that game would have been for the bye if say the top two teams were to get a bye in a 6 team playoff scenario. I figure the CFP will be Bama 1, Ohio State 2, Clemson 3 and Washington 4 this week.

What if Clemson and Washington both lose their championship games Saturday? And Penn State wins the B1G? Could we have 3 BIG teams along with Bama in the playoff, Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State?? If this were to happen oh lordy!! ;)

A 6 team playoff would create 2 play in games for the #3 and #4 spots and play those games the next week after the conference championship weekend games. If the above scenario were to happen, you could have Michigan playing Oklahoma and Penn State playing Clemson for the 3 and 4 spots come New Years eve. If Washington were to lose their championship game then they clearly would not deserve in the mention with the other 4's resume. Who really have they beaten?

I only see the playoff expanding and if 3 BIG teams were to get in....sooner than later!! ;)

TampaTide813

Suspended
Dec 16, 2014
I probably could live with that if they could figure out a way to determine the 4 teams without the human element. Too much bias.
In CFB you always have to have the human element. Even in the BCS era there was the human element. FBS does not have the parity of the NFL. 12-0 WMU is not equal to 12-0 Alabama. For everyone saying we should have just taken the top 4 BCS (I agree BTW), the BCS and the CFP had the same top 4 teams last week and probably will after championship weekend.

I think conference championships matter, but do they matter enough to keep a team with the same number of wins, 1 fewer loss, and a tougher SOS out due to a head to head loss? Well that's for the committee to decide (that's what the PTB wanted). Either way, It shouldn't keep another 12-1 P5 conf champ out. Give Stanford, Oregon, or USC Washington's record (incl OOC cupcakes) w/a conf champ and we aren't even thinking about leaving them out.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
What if Clemson and Washington both lose their championship games Saturday? And Penn State wins the B1G? Could we have 3 BIG teams along with Bama in the playoff, Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State?? If this were to happen oh lordy!! ;)
The Fox show last night actually brought this up. 3 teams from the B1G making it in would create a farce, but it would be possible if OU beat OSU while both Clemson and Washington lost. Why? Because B1G teams in consideration beat Colorado and Oklahoma during the regular season and the Hokies are pure garbage.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
If you expand the playoffs to 8, cut the reg season back to 11.... (which they won't do), 15 games is too many games for these kids....

Take out the cupcake week, replace with a second bye....

The cupcakes then go back to FCS status because they lose the cupcake payday.....and the system rights itself
Thing is, we're playing 15 now. I'm happy with 4 or 8. I could live with cutting out a cupcake week too.

As for the regular season "not counting", well if you don't play good teams and win against good teams you are not going to the playoff so how does it take away from the regular season? If we lost to LSU and the barn you think we would still be #1?? That makes the regular season pretty dang important to me!

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
The Fox show last night actually brought this up. 3 teams from the B1G making it in would create a farce, but it would be possible if OU beat OSU while both Clemson and Washington lost. Why? Because B1G teams in consideration beat Colorado and Oklahoma during the regular season and the Hokies are pure garbage.

Ohio State and Michigan would get a rematch in the semi-finals like many were clamoring for back in I believe '06! The BIG champ would play Bama. Works for me!! ;)

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
In CFB you always have to have the human element. Even in the BCS era there was the human element. FBS does not have the parity of the NFL. 12-0 WMU is not equal to 12-0 Alabama. For everyone saying we should have just taken the top 4 BCS (I agree BTW), the BCS and the CFP had the same top 4 teams last week and probably will after championship weekend.

I think conference championships matter, but do they matter enough to keep a team with the same number of wins, 1 fewer loss, and a tougher SOS out due to a head to head loss? Well that's for the committee to decide (that's what the PTB wanted). Either way, It shouldn't keep another 12-1 P5 conf champ out. Give Stanford, Oregon, or USC Washington's record (incl OOC cupcakes) w/a conf champ and we aren't even thinking about leaving them out.
Why do we always have to have the human element in FBS football? Why can't things change? I guess because of money. LOL I am just a believer that if you win your conference, you should get into a playoff and they're 5 major conferences, so 3 at-larges would be needed to fill out a field. I would rather watch a quarter final game than the Weed Eater Bowl.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Why do we always have to have the human element in FBS football? Why can't things change? I guess because of money. LOL I am just a believer that if you win your conference, you should get into a playoff and they're 5 major conferences, so 3 at-larges would be needed to fill out a field. I would rather watch a quarter final game than the Weed Eater Bowl.
It's not nearly that simple.

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
"The issue." Money is the only reason for all of this? Thus, you believe there must be a human element involved?
You have misunderstood. I don't want the human element to decide who is in the playoffs. Plenty of money can still be made without a committee deciding who is in the playoffs. I am not much on the "this team beat this team who lost to this team on bad call". That is not the way to figure out which teams get in. Tuesday nights are a joke but I have to admit, at least we have a playoff. I would rather see it expanded to eight teams at the most.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I know some on here will consider what I'm about to say as archaic but I miss the single championship game between two teams. I think the further we go down the road of including more and more teams the further we will get from who is truly the better team. The more teams who play in the multi-team playoff the more likely it is that a team has injuries or just play a bad game or have match ups that favor one game over another. I believe it's all about the money these days for the media and networks.

Trust me, if the current trend continues the regular schedule will suffer just to help accommodate more playoff games. Everyone talked about how great it would be when the BCS gave way to the current playoffs. They claimed this would answer our desire to have a true champion. I predict having more playoff games won't give us any better clarity on the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
You have misunderstood. I don't want the human element to decide who is in the playoffs. Plenty of money can still be made without a committee deciding who is in the playoffs. I am not much on the "this team beat this team who lost to this team on bad call". That is not the way to figure out which teams get in. Tuesday nights are a joke but I have to admit, at least we have a playoff. I would rather see it expanded to eight teams at the most.
No, I don't misunderstand. I get you don't want the human element involved, and you also think money is the only issue, which is why the human element is involved.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.