Oregon fires Mark Helfrich

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Heard Coach Mac's name thrown around. Wonder if he would leave Florida?
Discussed this some yesterday. Thought it was strange even when considering Mac is a west coast guy and he has a new AD and president. Then, I heard Any Staples on Finebaum talk about it. He was right - this screams "Jimmy Sexton gonna Jimmy Sexton."

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I still say Lane Kiffin would do great at Oregon but if Mac goes to Oregon Kiffin would do good at Florida. Both of those schools like a high octane offense.
Maybe it's just my perception, but if Mac went to Oregon I think Mullen is going to get the first phone call from the Florida AD's office. Kiffin's best opportunity is Oregon, but I'm thinking he is going to either take a mid level job or another OC gig. I don't think the LSU job is as far fetched as it was a week ago, but I'm still leaning towards thinking he is in line for the Houston kinda job.

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
I think if Oregon is really ready to spend $10 million a year on a coach, they're going after the likes of Saban, Meyer, or Chip Kelly; not someone like Kiffin, Mullen, or McElwain. That's serious money.

I expect Kiffin will be either the LSU OC or maybe the Houston HC next year.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think if Oregon is really ready to spend $10 million a year on a coach, they're going after the likes of Saban, Meyer, or Chip Kelly; not someone like Kiffin, Mullen, or McElwain. That's serious money.

I expect Kiffin will be either the LSU OC or maybe the Houston HC next year.
Unless they think they can get Pete Carroll away from Seattle, then I don't see any coach in the country worth 10 million a year that would seriously jump ship and go to Eugene. CNS and Urban are in far better places than Oregon. Yeah I know facilities and endorsements, but they live like kings where they are. I have the feeling that Oregon is going back to the belloti days in which they will be avg, avg, better than avg, avg kinda sequence.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
His football acumen has never been the issue. His off-field choices and people skills continue to be.

QUOTE=81usaf92;2936949]Great... No not yet.

Good enough to be a great hire at Oregon... Without a doubt

Worth 10 million... No

I think CLK gets a bum rap for HC career. He produced the best season for Tennessee until these last year's,and had them on the right track. USC was under Bama like probation. So I don't think you can hold that against him. He would've won the PAC 12 in 2011 had it not been for probation. Oakland... How can you hold that one against him?[/QUOTE]

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
His football acumen has never been the issue. His off-field choices and people skills continue to be.
Maybe when referencing here or the Raiders, but there are more than half of his biggest critics that are very quick to mention his record at UT and USC. They aren't exactly as black and white as they seem is my point.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Kliff Klingsbury maybe?
I don't see that. They are getting rid of one guy that fields terrible defenses. I don't see them replacing him with another. Texas Tech (128) is one of the two schools that ranks lower in total defense than Oregon (126) and has ranked lower every year since 2013 (when both coaches were hired).

And I'm not sold on Klingsbury being a good coach.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.