Link: A Navy Win on Saturday Could "Paralyze" the Bowl System

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

When Navy hosts Temple on Saturday for the American Athletic Conference title game, there will be a rather large contingent of bowl officials with a rather specific rooting interest.

"I don't want to be un-American," said one bowl official, "but nearly everyone in the bowl industry, quite frankly, is rooting against Navy."

The bowl official technically isn't rooting against Navy, just what happens if Navy wins. That's because if Navy wins the American and is in contention for the Group of 5 New Year's 6 bowl bid, the College Football Playoff selection committee could delay announcing the highest-ranked Group of 5 champion team until Dec. 10, six days after the "final rankings" are revealed.

The domino effect on other bowls could "paralyze" the bowl system, a source said.

Delaying the Group of 5's bid to the Cotton Bowl would impact many bowls involving Group of 5 teams. They would have to hold up placing teams in bowls without knowing if its champion could get pulled up to the Cotton Bowl. Also, opponents in those bowls wouldn't know whom they were playing and then there are the obvious logistic and financial issues involved with waiting another seven days before planning travel, buying tickets and other factors.

This is why I don't like the Army-Navy game. It isn't that big of a football game to me. I know what happens to the young men who play the game. That's commendable, but that game should be played during the regular season just like any other game. It's almost like a bowl game. Now, it's messing up a system that is in place. Navy is going to win that game. They should just announce it and get it over with. Go Army!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I love the Army / Navy game but think that the very idea that Navy might be ranked higher than WMU if WMU wins this weekend is absurd. 13-0 has to matter somewhere.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I don't remotely understand why Navy beating Army would cause the committee to even consider jumping them over a 13-0 Western Michigan team... Can someone explain that one?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The problem could be solved if Army-Navy were played the first game of the season instead of the last one. If they played August 26, 2016 they would have been the only game on .... just like next week, but the bowl selection would not be delayed.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Would be this weekend when Navy plays Temple.
Oh, I thought it was time for Army-Navy. My bad.

On the other hand, isn't Temple in the United States?

As an aside, it always strikes me as odd when a football team runs onto the field with an American flag, like they were playing against the Taliban football team or something.

dvil doc

1st Team
Dec 3, 2014
Northern Virginia
Oh, I thought it was time for Army-Navy. My bad.

On the other hand, isn't Temple in the United States?

As an aside, it always strikes me as odd when a football team runs onto the field with an American flag, like they were playing against the Taliban football team or something.
What flag does that team from Blacksburg run out with?

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
The PTBs simply need to implement a rule that bowl selections are made on the day following the final conference championships games, period and full stop. Any games played after that date should not count for bowl selections or bowl eligibility. If games need to be played that late due to tradition, weather cancellations, revenue reasons, etc., then so be it, but an isolated game or two should not paralyze the entire system and travel plans, ticket sales, class schedules, practice schedules, etc.

I have great respect for the Army/Navy game and its tradition, but if they want a standalone date, they should forego the postseason implications and call it the bragging-rights exhibition that it usually is.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
What flag does that team from Blacksburg run out with?
They run onto the field with a US flag and a Virginia flag. The Virginia flag I get (unless the opponent is UVA), but the US flag in that situation I find incongruous. Every team VT plays is from the United States, so it strikes me as trying to improperly trying to appropriate a national symbol. Like calling the Dallas Cowboys "America's Team." I'm an American. And I don't like the Cowboys.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Don't know of anyone, including us Army guys, who think they will beat Navy. Just schedule the games, without taking the Army-Navy game into account.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.