Thief steals 86 lb bucket of gold flakes off the back of an armored car in NYC

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i'm sorry but part of me thinks that if you can lug a 5 gallon bucket of gold weighing 86 lbs in broad daylight in new york city for an hour, only cover a few blocks and still not get caught, you win.

Police say the thief lugged the gold flakes up the street, taking an hour to complete what would normally be considered a 10-minute walk. He then hopped into a white van and fled.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
snack like a stoner?

First thing I thought when I saw the headline. Raw gold is hard to fence or even to sell legitimately without getting ripped off. I had a client once, a rehab center, which had a contract salvaging Mallory capacitors and other electronic parts. As part of the comp, the gold was theirs. They finally ended up with a sizeable ingot, about 35 lb. Gold wasn't as high then as now, but it was post '72 and the price had risen far above the old fixed price. They came to me for help and it was a nightmare. I thought I had an easy solution. The local plant manager of Englehardt, dealing in precious metals, was the father of a friend. I went to see him. He wouldn't even recommend his own company. I found out a majority of the BOD, mostly from South Africa, were persona non grata in the US, couldn't even visit their own plants here. We finally found a firm in New Jersey to handle it, with crossed fingers. It would have been easier if we'd had the internet back then...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.