The policy and politics of Trumpism

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!
Status
Not open for further replies.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
A lot of the most talented scientists come from overseas and they're already choosing not to come to what they see as a nation which has turned xenophobic...
Just to put some numbers on that.

Make no mistake, Trump's xenophobia combined with his deep cuts to science and research funding will gut our scientific, medical, and tech industries. Even if reversed in four years, the damage will haunt us for decades.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Clinton ended that for me. The truth to that guy was like sunshine to a vampire; and I voted for him in '92. I thought Bush 43 was generally respectable if not misguided. But after 8 years of Obama and what we're dealing with now, along with a host of other national/state/local politicians, I just assume that whatever they say is a lie. Probably not always a complete lie, but probably never really the truth either.
i get where you're coming from, but your only issue with gw bush is that he was misguided?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
This president lies with malicious intent and seems to get away with it. These arent mistakes or exaggerations, the're straight out and out lies. Other presidents you had to read between the lines. Thats not even an option now. He has zero credibility. Nothing that he says now can be believed without going to Snopes first.:rolleyes: He has become a fool and a huge embarrassment.
SAD!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
This president lies with malicious intent and seems to get away with it. These arent mistakes or exaggerations, the're straight out and out lies. Other presidents you had to read between the lines. Thats not even an option now. He has zero credibility. Nothing that he says now can be believed without going to Snopes first.:rolleyes: He has become a fool and a huge embarrassment.
SAD!
c'mon, obama and clinton were exactly the same

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
So isn't that sort of "pot meet kettle, kettle meet pot". They think he hates/fears them so they hate/fear him?
Considering that he has, in the past two years, elevated white supremacists and retweeted their messages, campaigned on the idea that the Muslim faith should be barred from our country, tried to enact said ban twice, rolled back LGBT protections, and a host of other aggressive actions targeting minorities and immigrants, I think it's a little disingenuous to claim that their concerns about Trump are unfounded.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
We need a scientific study. Control group of well-fed kids and a group of starving kids, controlled for socio-economic status and race. Can add obese kids later.

Is he talking about after school programs or school lunch programs?
I know what you're saying, but no, we don't need a study.

These people have lost me. Completely. I have been patient these past couple of months. I'm not a Democrat at all, but I'm certainly not a Republican anymore. I guess there's not a space for me in the political realm. I do believe TIDE-HSV is correct. Both sides have lurched so far to the extremes that there is a huge swath of the country in the middle. Democrats on the board may not feel that way. I know you guys were very happy with Obama. But that's the way I see it.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Trump's budget cancels NASA's Europa landing mission.

Link
Maybe a better title for the article would be something along this line from the article:
The request keeps NASA on more or less the same path the agency’s been on ...
In a statement, Acting NASA Administrator Robert Lightfoot said the proposal “is in line with our funding in recent years, and will enable us to effectively execute our core mission for the nation, even during these times of fiscal constraint.”
1% less money in the proposed budget than in last year's isn't much compared to other cuts. Starting a budget proposal with cutbacks is a good place to start.

I normally lean towards smaller government so I'm often torn with spending too much money on NASA and what is important and what is not. I like it all from a science and engineering standpoint...

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Starting a budget proposal with cutbacks is a good place to start.
Normally when you start a budget you look at the large slices of the pie to see what you can trim out. You don't look to see how much you spend on bubble gum each month. Who knows maybe I've been doing it wrong all this time and didn't even know it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
"These aren't the droids we're looking for"
The only thing you can really tell from my posts here is that I'm passionately anti-Trump. I would have voted for any qualified Republican OR Democrat over him, whom I consider to be a real danger to the country. I think he could be our pre-Octavian. Now, this is turning way too personal. Drop it...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Even if we assume the make-up of left and right, I'm still trying to fathom why anyone argues Trump is any kind of conservative at all.....

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The only thing you can really tell from my posts here is that I'm passionately anti-Trump. I would have voted for any qualified Republican OR Democrat over him, whom I consider to be a real danger to the country. I think he could be our pre-Octavian. Now, this is turning way too personal. Drop it...
America has been an empire since 1946, but refuses to accept it like the Romans did after the 2nd Punic War. The same problems that divided the Romans has divided Americans such as the Rich and poor, and the poor turning to cults of personalities because of feeling ignored by their elected officials.

Fwiw Octavian would do circles around Trump in politics. But then again it helps to have your great uncle's loyal army at your back.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Even if we assume the make-up of left and right, I'm still trying to fathom why anyone argues Trump is any kind of conservative at all.....
maybe because he is trying like hell to push through conservative ideas (ryan's health care, dismantling/defunding federal agencies, muslim ban, trickle down economics, building the wall, etc).

i call these conservative ideas because they have been pushed for years by conservative radio, conservative politicians, etc.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
maybe because he is trying like hell to push through conservative ideas (ryan's health care, dismantling/defunding federal agencies, muslim ban, trickle down economics, building the wall, etc).

i call these conservative ideas because they have been pushed for years by conservative radio, conservative politicians, etc.

"Facts to the left of me, Alt-facts to the right,
Here I am, stuck in the middle with you."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
America has been an empire since 1946, but refuses to accept it like the Romans did after the 2nd Punic War. The same problems that divided the Romans has divided Americans such as the Rich and poor, and the poor turning to cults of personalities because of feeling ignored by their elected officials.

Fwiw Octavian would do circles around Trump in politics. But then again it helps to have your great uncle's loyal army at your back.
I called him "pre-Octavian." I don't know this source, but someone linked it on my Facebook page. It's food for thought...

LINK

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I called him "pre-Octavian." I don't know this source, but someone linked it on my Facebook page. It's food for thought...

LINK
Ok what is the difference of what I said and what your link said? I compare him to a post Punic War and pre Julio-Claudian cult of personality like Marius and Sulla that played on the plebeian fears and concerns to gain power. I guess the only difference is that Marius and Sulla actually had military and political experience, but the comparison fits.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
No, I don't think he's conservative at all, and I disagree with 92tide's definition of conservatism. But that's probably because the conservative movement has largely been hijacked by the comic book characters he references.

I think TIDE-HSV's description is spot on.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
No, I don't think he's conservative at all, and I disagree with 92tide's definition of conservatism. But that's probably because the conservative movement has largely been hijacked by the comic book characters he references.

I think TIDE-HSV's description is spot on.
the stuff that trump is pushing has largely been pushed by the right wing - via talk radio, tea party, freedom caucus, fox news, conservative christians; all arbiters of conservatism - for quite a long time. i see where you are coming from wrt to the hijacking, but this is almost getting into no true scotsman territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.