The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
they were popping up regularly every 2-3 weeks to say tick-tock but have been relatively quiet lately.

i guess it does say something that a somewhat "free-for-all" political board on an alabama fan page is not overrun with trumpies, and is considered "liberal"
I'm actually much more active in NS than sports. During a game, I like the pace and format of twitter (as if I need to spend any more time there)
In NS, reasonable people can discuss and disagree, but it is generally intelligent conversation, rather than hysteria and crazy of Facebook, and the extremes on twitter.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm actually much more active in NS than sports. During a game, I like the pace and format of twitter (as if I need to spend any more time there)
In NS, reasonable people can discuss and disagree, but it is generally intelligent conversation, rather than hysteria and crazy of Facebook, and the extremes on twitter.
He is mostly referring to this threads posted below and the drive by posters who want to come in get a punch in before Tyson clocks them in the jaw. He isn't referring to someone that is actually wanting to debate or someone new to the board.

Republican/ Conservative Catch ALL

Another

Yet Another

Reactions: 92tide and MobtownK

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Wow. After reading through that Liberalism thread I found this gem I said Page 3.

"I just wish Disney would get Colin Kapernick as a spokesperson or make a stance on the national championship so we can see how far the Trump snowflakes are really willing to take their outrage because suspect it’s going to really put some on this board in a position in which they may really have to drop this false bravado or give up watching 80% of Alabama games to continue their stance. "

I honestly was joking, but its funny that Disney did hire Colin.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The qualifier isn't really a qualifier, its actually a bit redundant. I'm guessing there are many lurkers here who are embarrassed to admit support. It hasn't been that long ago that this board was basically right wing. Some of the liberal posters actually left in disgust. I thought I might at least get a reply from our friend Baz.🤔
1) I'm still a conservative.

2) Which is why I never supported Trump in the first place.

I'm from the Goldwater-Reagan-Buckley-Will-Edmund Burke school of conservatism. I don't think you have litmus tests that says "if you're pro-choice or pro-gay marriage, you're not a REAL conservative". I think what conservatism WAS (as I knew it) was:
a) governance at the most local level possible when possible
b) absolute minimal government interference
c) strong anti-Communism and national defense
d) at least an attempt at a balanced budget

There was a thread here awhile back on what conservatism is nowadays. I don't know, and I deeply resent being told on my social media pages what the litmus tests of conservatism are by people who voted for Donald Trump.

In 2016, there was a basic choice every conservative had to make:
a) vote for this scumbag
b) vote for Hillary
c) vote for someone else
d) not vote at all or at least vote for the other offices and abstain on the President pick

Donald Trump is and always has been a loud-mouthed New Yorker, long on verbiage and short on actual, concrete accomplishment. (Seriously - name one thing this guy actually has done other than wreck the USFL). He's the kind of person who looks down his nose at the redneck riffraff of Alabama and the whole area of Dixie - and these idiots adore this guy.

I was willing to understand (even if I didn't like him) the people who swallowed real hard and took a blind chance on the notion that "I fear Hillary as President." I'm with these people on that, and I understand it. But that's also why I cannot be silent, either, when Donald Trump is the precise thing THEY FEARED HILLARY WOULD BE......and they take up for him.

I realize politics is compromises and pragmatism, and while I know it burns the insides of 92tide, I genuinely DO believe in civil disagreement and working towards larger goals even if via different ways. But as Celine Dion sang......these people "made a deal with the devil for an empty IOU." And he's never paid his bills anyway.

As a good longtime friend of mine said: "Hillary lost me with who she was in the 90s; Trump lost me with who he was in the 80s." Pretty well said in my book.

I will vote enthusiastically for Joseph Biden this fall, and then I will spend the next four years complaining about 75% of what he does/tries to do. This is NOT - not matter who wants to argue it - Ronald Reagan or George H W Bush's GOP.

Reagan, confronted with a bad poll: "Well, we'll just have to convince them they're wrong."
Trump, with a bad poll: "These are fake polls."

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I'm from the Goldwater-Reagan-Buckley-Will-Edmund Burke school of conservatism. I don't think you have litmus tests that says "if you're pro-choice or pro-gay marriage, you're not a REAL conservative". I think what conservatism WAS (as I knew it) was:

There was a thread here awhile back on what conservatism is nowadays. I don't know, and I deeply resent being told on my social media pages what the litmus tests of conservatism are by people who voted for Donald Trump.

a) vote for this scumbag
b) vote for Hillary
c) vote for someone else
d) not vote at all or at least vote for the other offices and abstain on the President pick

Donald Trump is and always has been a loud-mouthed New Yorker, long on verbiage and short on actual, concrete accomplishment. (Seriously - name one thing this guy actually has done other than wreck the USFL). He's the kind of person who looks down his nose at the redneck riffraff of Alabama and the whole area of Dixie - and these idiots adore this guy.

I was willing to understand (even if I didn't like him) the people who swallowed real hard and took a blind chance on the notion that "I fear Hillary as President." I'm with these people on that, and I understand it. But that's also why I cannot be silent, either, when Donald Trump is the precise thing THEY FEARED HILLARY WOULD BE......and they take up for him.

I realize politics is compromises and pragmatism, and while I know it burns the insides of 92tide, I genuinely DO believe in civil disagreement and working towards larger goals even if via different ways. But as Celine Dion sang......these people "made a deal with the devil for an empty IOU." And he's never paid his bills anyway.

As a good longtime friend of mine said: "Hillary lost me with who she was in the 90s; Trump lost me with who he was in the 80s." Pretty well said in my book.

I will vote enthusiastically for Joseph Biden this fall, and then I will spend the next four years complaining about 75% of what he does/tries to do. This is NOT - not matter who wants to argue it - Ronald Reagan or George H W Bush's GOP.

Reagan, confronted with a bad poll: "Well, we'll just have to convince them they're wrong."
I think “liberal” and “conservative” are terms thrown around by folks who don’t know what they really mean. I get terms evolve, but good lord when did the term conservative become “ God, Guns, my border, my confederate statues,and my girlfriend’s body rights”?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think “liberal” and “conservative” are terms thrown around by folks who don’t know what they really mean. I get terms evolve, but good lord when did the term conservative become “ God, Guns, my border, my confederate statues,and my girlfriend’s body rights”?
I think of Matthew McConaughey's line in "A Time to Kill" when Sandra Bullock finds out he favors the death penalty, and she gets taken aback, saying, "I thought you were a liberal." And he tells her, "I am a liberal. What I'm not is a card-carrying ACLU radical."

Those issues you list are - for the most part - peripheral issues, but they've become definitions they were never intended to be.

Remember - I bring the baggage of five years of living in Europe during my formative years to the whole discussion so......

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004

a) vote for this scumbag
b) vote for Hillary
c) vote for someone else

I chose option c in the 2016 elections, knowing that even if any president would have to work with Congress. I didn't fear Hillary, but her tax plan would have taken an additional $200 a month. Little did I know that Trump's handling of the country would take almost 50% of our income.

I would vote for either Bush, either Clinton, Obama, Biden, Reagan, Carter, or a soggy piece of drywall before I voted for Trump.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I just watched last nights Colbert interview with Mary Trump (its available on Xfinity on-demand). She has a PhD in psychology and her father is Trump's older brother. I urge everyone (you too Bazza) to watch this. It is not the typical Colbert interview where he is looking for a quick laugh. She provides a LOT of insight into what makes Trump like he is (ie. Fred Trump, the father, her grandfather) .

• Thank You
Reactions: MobtownK and UAH

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I guess Cohen's book will be out soon

I hope so. He's a criminal, but the fact that he is the only of Trump's crony felons in prison, coupled with he's the only one to turn on Trump, makes for a compelling argument of misuse of power. Trump gives clemency to anyone who doesn't turn on him.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I just watched last nights Colbert interview with Mary Trump (its available on Xfinity on-demand). She has a PhD in psychology and her father is Trump's older brother. I urge everyone (you too Bazza) to watch this. It is not the typical Colbert interview where he is looking for a quick laugh. She provides a LOT of insight into what makes Trump like he is (ie. Fred Trump, the father, her grandfather) .
I'm part-way through her book and I think last night was the third interview. I'm not seeing much original at this point. That said, Colbert's interview was really the best so far. The book is a tough read. The family would make a good soap opera, if you like melodrama and dysfunction rewarded by the grand don. Donald was basically shipped off to military school because the parents were unable to handle him. I'm sure you all remember what kind of kid got sent off to military school to "learn some discipline"...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I hope so. He's a criminal, but the fact that he is the only of Trump's crony felons in prison, coupled with he's the only one to turn on Trump, makes for a compelling argument of misuse of power. Trump gives clemency to anyone who doesn't turn on him.
It may be interesting because he's not going to receive a rescue. In fact, he's said he doesn't want one and wouldn't take it (that wouldn't matter, really). OTOH, most of the really juicy stuff, Trump can claim is privileged, so IDK how much he can really tell...

Reactions: Go Bama

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
With all that is happening in the Trump sphere of attempting to create enemy list and other shiny objects, perhaps the most dangerous one that is happening right now is the abrupt closure of the Chinese Consulate in Houston with others threatened in the near future. As a country we are in no position to begin an open conflict with China across the globe. No particular love of China but the abruptness of this is startling. It may become the October crisis that the Trump bunch is planning for with his core all in on attacking the "Red Menace"

Chinese consulate in San Francisco is harboring a military-linked researcher wanted for visa fraud, FBI says
CNBC

• Thank You
Reactions: MobtownK

Rolltide51

1st Team
Nov 24, 2019

a) vote for this scumbag
b) vote for Hillary
c) vote for someone else

Thanks you many times over!!! I have been patiently waiting for you or someone else to state exactly how I feel. I just didn't have the words but don't need them when you do it so well.Thanks again... i even used upper case letters in your honor!

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
With all that is happening in the Trump sphere of attempting to create enemy list and other shiny objects, perhaps the most dangerous one that is happening right now is the abrupt closure of the Chinese Consulate in Houston with others threatened in the near future. As a country we are in no position to begin an open conflict with China across the globe. No particular love of China but the abruptness of this is startling. It may become the October crisis that the Trump bunch is planning for with his core all in on attacking the "Red Menace"

Chinese consulate in San Francisco is harboring a military-linked researcher wanted for visa fraud, FBI says
CNBC

I hope this don't mean them sorry ass Chinks will be reneging on there promise to help Trump in november.

Edit: I had to change your spelling... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: UAH and B1GTide

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Trump’s week of retreat: The president reverses course as the coronavirus surges out of control
President Trump was adamant that Congress cut payroll taxes — until, suddenly, he backed down.

He demanded that all of the nation’s schools reopen for the fall semester — until, suddenly, he allowed for some wiggle room.

He insisted upon filling every seat at the Republican National Convention celebration — until, suddenly, he canceled the event.

He refused to wear a mask in public — until, suddenly, he did, and morphed into a mask evangelist.

For Trump, this has been a week of retreat. Rather than bending others to his will, the president has been the one backing down from long-held positions in the face of resistance from fellow Republicans or popular opposition, scrambling to resurrect his reelection campaign while the coronavirus continues to ravage the nation.

Weakened politically by his response to the pandemic, Trump changed course after polls showed his positions did not align with public attitudes or — as was the case with the payroll tax cut — his Republican allies on Capitol Hill declined to advance his interests.

“The good ship Trump has sprung a leak, and it’s leaking political capital,” said Timothy Naftali, a historian at New York University and a former director of the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum.

“I don’t think the president is pivoting,” Naftali said. “I think the president is backtracking because he is facing head winds, and those are head winds from elected Republicans.”

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I chose option c in the 2016 elections, knowing that even if any president would have to work with Congress. I didn't fear Hillary, but her tax plan would have taken an additional $200 a month. Little did I know that Trump's handling of the country would take almost 50% of our income.

I would vote for either Bush, either Clinton, Obama, Biden, Reagan, Carter, or a soggy piece of drywall before I voted for Trump.
I have chosen - for the most part - to "live and let live" on how anyone voted in 2016. I hoped - and I would have hoped this for ANY President - that Trump would take the opportunity handed him to shine. What I've gotten instead is a girl having her first menstrual cycle over (pardon the pun) a four-year period. He is the least manly President in American history and quite frankly I've wished he'd cross the wrong person and the Secret Service would just allow someone to slug the holy mess out of the guy on TV - because you want to know who wouldn't fight back?

Don wouldn't.

In his case, I already know he's willing to solicit Russian help, not listen to expertise on ANY issue, lie about pretty much anything, and willing to pressure Ukraine to help him get re-elected by digging up dirt on his opponent.

I completely understand why so many military people through the years have been/voted Republican.
I CANNOT understand ANY veteran who defends this sleaze ball.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
I have chosen - for the most part - to "live and let live" on how anyone voted in 2016. I hoped - and I would have hoped this for ANY President - that Trump would take the opportunity handed him to shine. What I've gotten instead is a girl having her first menstrual cycle over (pardon the pun) a four-year period. He is the least manly President in American history and quite frankly I've wished he'd cross the wrong person and the Secret Service would just allow someone to slug the holy mess out of the guy on TV - because you want to know who wouldn't fight back?

Don wouldn't.

In his case, I already know he's willing to solicit Russian help, not listen to expertise on ANY issue, lie about pretty much anything, and willing to pressure Ukraine to help him get re-elected by digging up dirt on his opponent.

I completely understand why so many military people through the years have been/voted Republican.
I CANNOT understand ANY veteran who defends this sleaze ball.
Absolutely agree. I expect better behavior out of my 5 year old daughter than the president gives us on a daily basis.
Just to be fair, I think I had thicker skin and was more calm at 11 when I got my 1st one 😆.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.