The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I agree. If he stand for anything at all it's a bottomless lust for power and praise...
I couldn't have said this better myself. All Presidents have a touch of arrogance, but the last guy I know of who was anything like this at all was Richard Nixon, and he at least worked WITHIN the system. Like Bush 43, he was an expert at mouthing the conservative rhetoric and then spending like a tax/spend liberal.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Ok what is the difference of what I said and what your link said? I compare him to a post Punic War and pre Julio-Claudian cult of personality like Marius and Sulla that played on the plebeian fears and concerns to gain power. I guess the only difference is that Marius and Sulla actually had military and political experience, but the comparison fits.
I guess I didn't make myself clear. I think he compares more to JC, but not even half as clever. However, I do think he could be preparing us, consciously or not, for the advent of an Octavian type. Is that clearer? I just threw in the link as one man's hypothesis of why he's succeeded in projecting himself into his present position...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
the stuff that trump is pushing has largely been pushed by the right wing - via talk radio, tea party, freedom caucus, fox news, conservative christians; all arbiters of conservatism - for quite a long time. i see where you are coming from wrt to the hijacking, but this is almost getting into no true scotsman territory.

Up to a point, I actually agree with you here. But he isn't conservative at all. He's not really liberal, either, but you get the idea he'd literally say anything to get a poll rating of 65% regardless of whether it squared with his previous lies, er, I mean statements.

The GOP has wedded themselves to this guy in a shotgun wedding brought about by their adherence to rule of law. I had more respect for Cruz when he refused than when he kowtowed just as I have more respect for Kasich for being willing to face the music.

On the flip side, the Democrats' history of blowing easy wins is too long established to think this guy is automatically a one-term President....unless (as I suspect) the GOP casts it lot with a primary horse to bring him down.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Up to a point, I actually agree with you here. But he isn't conservative at all. He's not really liberal, either, but you get the idea he'd literally say anything to get a poll rating of 65% regardless of whether it squared with his previous lies, er, I mean statements.

The GOP has wedded themselves to this guy in a shotgun wedding brought about by their adherence to rule of law. I had more respect for Cruz when he refused than when he kowtowed just as I have more respect for Kasich for being willing to face the music.

On the flip side, the Democrats' history of blowing easy wins is too long established to think this guy is automatically a one-term President....unless (as I suspect) the GOP casts it lot with a primary horse to bring him down.
yes trump the person is not conservative or liberal, he will latch on to anything that he sees as getting him more power and money.

i'm not sure how i see the possibility of him getting a second term. he is two months in and has had i think one day that hasn't been a complete (and largely self-inflicted) goat rodeo and the republican house isn't faring much better. i just don't see how that can continue, but i also didn't see how he could get elected.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Normally when you start a budget you look at the large slices of the pie to see what you can trim out. You don't look to see how much you spend on bubble gum each month. Who knows maybe I've been doing it wrong all this time and didn't even know it.
Makes sense to me.

There have been times where I work when upper management worries about too much money spent on pens, pencils, post-it pads and paperclips. So much so that I keep pens from hotels during business trips so I have some in the office. This is at a place that spends $330 million on a single piece of equipment.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I think you're right. The very definition of "conservative" has been turned on its head and now has a large religious construct which it never had...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
yes trump the person is not conservative or liberal, he will latch on to anything that he sees as getting him more power and money.

i'm not sure how i see the possibility of him getting a second term. he is two months in and has had i think one day that hasn't been a complete (and largely self-inflicted) goat rodeo and the republican house isn't faring much better. i just don't see how that can continue, but i also didn't see how he could get elected.
It's possible because the other side is no less of a goat rodeo.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
From the NY Times.
“We said nothing,” Mr. Trump told a German reporter who asked about the matter at a joint White House news conference with Chancellor Angela Merkel. “All we did was quote a certain very talented legal mind who was the one responsible for saying that on television. I didn’t make an opinion on it. You shouldn’t be talking to me about it. You should be talking to Fox.”
So it's not his fault that he said it because someone else said it first and he just repeated it. Their justification of this wiretapping garbage is mind boggling. Between this and the whole it wasn't wasn't wiretapping it was "wire tapping" nonsense, I'm not sure how anyone believes anything out of their mouths.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
From the NY Times.

So it's not his fault that he said it because someone else said it first and he just repeated it. Their justification of this wiretapping garbage is mind boggling. Between this and the whole it wasn't wasn't wiretapping it was "wire tapping" nonsense, I'm not sure how anyone believes anything out of their mouths.
you know, obama used to do the same thing

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
ok, how about keep pushing that rock up the hill, maybe you'll reach the top one day.
What rock do you think I'm pushing? I'm giving my opinion on why Trump won, not excusing his actions since election. You yourself said you never thought he would. Well? You were wrong. Why is that? Do you think it's impossible you'll be wrong again? Please.

I'd like you to clarify the statement you made in your previous post. Never blocked anyone in all the years I've been on this board. I've always considered you a kind enough guy even if I disagreed with you politically on almost everything. But implying about me what it seems you're implying, and I don't give a damn if it's a playful jest to you or not, that's over the line. Way over. I don't pull that kind of crap with anyone, and I don't appreciate it being pulled with me.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
What rock do you think I'm pushing? I'm giving my opinion on why Trump won, not excusing his actions since election. You yourself said you never thought he would. Well? You were wrong. Why is that? Do you think it's impossible you'll be wrong again? Please.

I'd like you to clarify the statement you made in your previous post. Never blocked anyone in all the years I've been on this board. I've always considered you a kind enough guy even if I disagreed with you politically on almost everything. But implying about me what it seems you're implying, and I don't give a damn if it's a playful jest to you or not, that's over the line. Way over. I don't pull that kind of crap with anyone, and I don't appreciate it being pulled with me.
you keep trying to imply that the crap show that has been the last almost two months of the trump administration is no worse than the previous administration and that both sides are equally bad and that is just plain nonsense. what we are watching unfold right now is completely unprecedented.

as to the rest of it, it was a joke - keep [fornicating] that chicken - its been an internet meme for a while. it has nothing to do with you personally, it is a turn of phrase meaning "keep doing what you are doing" (even if it is futile). i apologize that i offended you with it, it wasn't meant that way.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.

I just wanted to put my two cents worth in , I am a GDI gosh darn independent. I cannot understand how the liberals left wing or what ever you choose to call them are trying to divide the country.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
you keep trying to imply that the crap show that has been the last almost two months of the trump administration is no worse than the previous administration and that both sides are equally bad and that is just plain nonsense. what we are watching unfold right now is completely unprecedented.

as to the rest of it, it was a joke - keep [fornicating] that chicken - its been an internet meme for a while. it has nothing to do with you personally, it is a turn of phrase meaning "keep doing what you are doing" (even if it is futile). i apologize that i offended you with it, it wasn't meant that way.
But that's not what I'm trying to imply. I'm trying to explain why Trump won in the first place. I'm not excusing Trump's actions since he took office, by saying "oh well Obama did it too!"

Trump won, IMO, because the Democrats have pushed far to hard to the far loony left, and Hillary was an uninspiring candidate. Why else did Trump win? It wasn't like he got many millions more votes than Romney or McCain, was it?

Anyway, I'm not making the argument that his actions are the equivalent of Obama's tenure. Not in the least. Only that both sides have veered off into extreme nonsense territory and that's why a moron like Trump can win, and it's why he could win again. Although, now we'll have an actual record of his to vote on. Maybe it will be impossible for him to win again when it's all said and done.

And I apologize for the lack of understanding. Man, I lost my cool there for a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.