The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
But that's not what I'm trying to imply. I'm trying to explain why Trump won in the first place. I'm not excusing Trump's actions since he took office, by saying "oh well Obama did it too!"

Trump won, IMO, because the Democrats have pushed far to hard to the far loony left, and Hillary was an uninspiring candidate. Why else did Trump win? It wasn't like he got many millions more votes than Romney or McCain, was it?

Anyway, I'm not making the argument that his actions are the equivalent of Obama's tenure. Not in the least. Only that both sides have veered off into extreme nonsense territory and that's why a moron like Trump can win, and it's why he could win again. Although, now we'll have an actual record of his to vote on. Maybe it will be impossible for him to win again when it's all said and done.

And I apologize for the lack of understanding. Man, I lost my cool there for a little bit.
i think trump won because he tapped into populist anger over immigration (its going on around the world) and obamacare and he conned people into thinking our country is in tatters. i think a lot of folks (i knew several) who assumed hillary would win and stayed home or voted third party because they didn't like her/didn't find her inspiring. also, hillary's campaign made the same mistake they did vs obama in 2008 and ignored key parts of the country that they assumed they had in the bag. in addition, i think there was some factor of trump being such a wild card that no one knew how to deal with it. (i acknowledge that this is a simplified view of what went on).

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
i think trump won because he tapped into populist anger over immigration (its going on around the world) and obamacare and he conned people into thinking our country is in tatters. i think a lot of folks (i knew several) who assumed hillary would win and stayed home or voted third party because they didn't like her/didn't find her inspiring. also, hillary's campaign made the same mistake they did vs obama in 2008 and ignored key parts of the country that they assumed they had in the bag. in addition, i think there was some factor of trump being such a wild card that no one knew how to deal with it. (i acknowledge that this is a simplified view of what went on).
A trillion dollars in debt is not conning anyone. And premiums from Obama care doubled and tripled. Hillary is a liar and no one trusted her.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
To be fair the Republicans knew even less how to deal with him in the primaries. I wanted desperately to vote for someone else, so much so that I might have voted for Obama to have a third term. That's blasphemy to most any conservative, but it's the truth of where I stood. As it was, I wrote in Ed McMuffin, and have felt terrible about it ever since. What a waste.

Anyway, to help get back on topic with current events, apparently Trump had Merkel over to the White House today and then refused to be gracious at all. This is the kind of nonsense that disgusts me. No matter how much he disagrees with her, you invited her over, she's there, be gracious. But he is not capable.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
A trillion dollars in debt is not conning anyone. And premiums from Obama care doubled and tripled. Hillary is a liar and no one trusted her.
I doubt that but maybe someone could provide rate of increase during obamacare years compared with years prior.
As far as Hillary being a liar, she was a rank amateur as a candidate compared to Trump as a president.:eek2:

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I doubt that but maybe someone could provide rate of increase during obamacare years compared with years prior.
As far as Hillary being a liar, she was a rank amateur as a candidate compared to Trump as a president.:eek2:
Well I have Obama Care as insurance with BCBS of Alabama, my family rates doubled this year. Would you like to see a copy of my statement?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
IMO this is exactly what happened. I would also add that quite a few intelligent people I know did not vote for Hillary because they did not want a female President. These same people did not vote for Obama, not because he had a strange name or was perceived as a liberal, but because he was African-American. Somethings will never change.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
IMO this is exactly what happened. I would also add that quite a few intelligent people I know did not vote for Hillary because they did not want a female President. These same people did not vote for Obama, not because he had a strange name or was perceived as a liberal, but because he was African-American. Somethings will never change.
Intelligent??

And some people voted for Hillary because she is female and some voted for Obama because he is African-American. It is sad.

pcfixup

Suspended
Feb 2, 2005
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
The democrats during the Clinton era (From 1990 to 2014) ran a platform of socially-liberal capitalism. They openly believed in open-borders , rejected the Judaeo-christian ethic as racist and sexist, never came up with an answer to the rise of Islam, complained about global warming but never came up with a way to pay the costs involved.

So many elites took Hilliary winning for Granted :

1. Fareed Zakaria wrote a book hailing a post-American world ...

2. Bruce Jenner came out as Trans -- and got an Award from ESPN for it ...

3. Mrs. Reuben Carter had an anti-white halftime show.

The democrats took the idea of "Demographics is destiny" to heart and it backfired on them.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yeah they underperformed given what the expectations were. Even had they won the most seats, no one wants to work with him and a coalition would have been unlikely.
I have friends over there - they're far, far left compared to even our left here - and they were quite worried Wilder would gain power. Now they're quite happy.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
ok, how about keep pushing that rock up the hill, maybe you'll reach the top one day.
With Trump as president, it's amazing that the sun came out this morning, I drove to my kids' school for a planning meeting, then went to work, and am now able to sit here in my local Mexican restaurant and drink a few margaritas before going home to further relax with my family. Life really sux I guess.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have friends over there - they're far, far left compared to even our left here - and they were quite worried Wilder would gain power. Now they're quite happy.
They drew lessons from Trump and Brexit, and by "they," I don't mean just the far left, either. I had a Swedish friend make a remark on Facebook which cut to the bone. He said that any country with our percentage of voting participation had no right to complain about any leadership it received. He was right...

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
They drew lessons from Trump and Brexit, and by "they," I don't mean just the far left, either. I had a Swedish friend make a remark on Facebook which cut to the bone. He said that any country with our percentage of voting participation had no right to complain about any leadership it received. He was right...
Seems that anyone who votes should feel they have the right to complain.:)

However, the point that around 50 to 55% of the voting age actually votes in the US is very poor and I'm guessing much more than 55% of the voting age population complains.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
For me personally, my out of pocket costs have increased significantly more since passage of the ACA. It would be great to go back to the days beforehand when my premiums remained steady year over year or increased no more than a few dollars per month.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
My German friends were aghast when they learned that our election day was on a work day. In most developed countries (including Sweden), it's on a weekend to make voter participation easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.