The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
For me personally, my out of pocket costs have increased significantly more since passage of the ACA. It would be great to go back to the days beforehand when my premiums remained steady year over year or increased no more than a few dollars per month.
Mine as well. We continue to get bills from my wife's hospital stay for the birth of our son over four months ago.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
My German friends were aghast when they learned that our election day was on a work day. In most developed countries (including Sweden), it's on a weekend to make voter participation easier.
Don't most all of the polls stay open until 7 or 8 pm, as well as open as early as 7 am? We have plenty of opportunity to vote in this country. I would bet voter participation would drop in this country were it on a Saturday.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Actually, the PVV added five seats in this election. They now hold 20 seats, which is the second-most number of seats.
Sorry, fewer than in 2010 - still an obvious statement by the Dutch:

"Mr. Rutte’s People’s Party for Freedom and Democracy, or V.V.D., came first with 21.2 percent of the vote, compared to Mr. Wilders’s Party for Freedom, which took only 13.1 percent. Mr. Wilders barely improved on his margin in the 2012 election (where he took 10.1 percent) and failed to do as well as he did in 2010 (where he got 15.5 percent of the vote)."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/16/...ot-to-defeat-populism.html?smid=pl-share&_r=0

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Don't most all of the polls stay open until 7 or 8 pm, as well as open as early as 7 am? We have plenty of opportunity to vote in this country. I would bet voter participation would drop in this country were it on a Saturday.
I think you're underestimating the impact on certain people. Think about someone working two jobs, or the single parent who needs to rush home after work and watch the kids. It's obviously possible to vote on a Tuesday, but in no universe is it easier to vote when you eliminate 8-10 hours from the 12 hour window between polls opening and closing.

Personally, I was only able to vote this year because California allows mail-in ballots. I was at work for 14 hours that day, and it wouldn't have been easy to vote otherwise.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Interesting slant. Early voting is available in Alabama contrary to what that chart says. Working hours conflicts as you noted in a prior post are a prime reason for voting early in Alabama. Try again.
Thanks, made me look: https://ballotpedia.org/Early_voting

As of November 2016, the following seven states did not permit early voting or in-person absentee voting:
Alabama
Connecticut
Delaware
Michigan
New Hampshire
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Looks like most of the US to me.

Besides, isn't it most likely that those working multiple jobs will be working weekends anyway?

Voting is a sacrifice for everyone - no one gets to simply think their vote in. But if someone wants to vote, they can.
I'm not sure why you're defending the view that voting should be more difficult rather than less.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Interesting slant. Early voting is available in Alabama contrary to what that chart says. Working hours conflicts as you noted in a prior post are a prime reason for voting early in Alabama. Try again.
Then the chart is out of date. But the point is that early voting is not available everywhere.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yeah, early voting...absentee voting...potato, potahto. Absentee voting is a form of early voting.
Yah, was pointing out how out of date Charmin's graph was. A vast majority of voters can vote at their convenience, and I'd contend that those who "can't" find a way to do so, would have an even more difficult time were the elections held on weekends.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I'm not sure why you're defending the view that voting should be more difficult rather than less.
I'm on record here as being generally against early voting. Voting is a community experience, not a video game. Absentee voting...fine. Voting for weeks on end...not a fan. Voting is a duty, not a fast food meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.