The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I'm saying it's not difficult - if someone wants to vote they can.

Who can't vote? Show me someone who wants to vote but cannot because the times are too restrictive.
On a population level, do you think it's easier to vote in:
A) A 12 hour window on a day when nearly every citizen of voting age has a prior obligation for 8-10 hours

or

B) A 12 hour window on a day when the vast majority do not

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
A) A 12 hour window on a day when nearly every citizen of voting age has a prior obligation for 8-10 hours

or

Instead of tilting at windmills, just answer me this: who can't vote? Show me someone who wants to vote but cannot because the times are too restrictive.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

or

Personally, I think those options are equally easy for those who care about voting.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Nice dodge.
Not a dodge at all - I'm simply asking for you to show me anyone who wants to vote but cannot. I'm not going to chase your pretzel logic when I've not heard of anyone who cannot vote. You're suggesting the current voting times are onerous so it's you're job to show that it really is.

Also wondering how you somehow think someone working two jobs but not working weekends.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Not a dodge at all - I'm simply asking for you to show me anyone who wants to vote but cannot. I'm not going to chase your pretzel logic when I've not heard of anyone who cannot vote. You're suggesting the current voting times are onerous so it's you're job to show that it really is.

Also wondering how you somehow think someone working two jobs but not working weekends.
I like your approach. It's akin to the left asking voter ID supporters to catalog incidents of voter fraud.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

I'm not sure why you're so hung up on hypotheticals, but fine. How about the surgeon who's elbow-deep in a Whipple procedure for 14 hours? Or the transplant team that gets a call at 7am and can't leave work until 10pm. Or the guy who works nights and has to decide if he'd rather vote and operate on 2 hours of sleep the next day, or just skip the polls and get a good night's rest. Can you honestly not think of any situation in which voting around one's work schedule would be highly inconvenient?

I'm not sure why this is getting pushback from you two. But I'll just say this: it's absurd to claim that voting on a weekend or holiday would be less convenient than voting on a work day.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
We can add one more casualty of the Trump administration. I found out tonight they are going to defund many support programs for the poor including "Meals on wheels". I have volunteered for this group and it is a great program. A large portion of the meals go to elderly folks who can't cook for themselves or come up a little short on funds for food. The best thing about the program is it gives a chance for a lot of lonely people to have someone to talk to. It's one of those programs that means a lot more to the volunteers than the recipients. I hope all you Trump supporters sleep well each night knowing our president is going to build up the defense budget that already has the firepower to destroy the earth many times. At least the elderly and hungry folks can be proud of all our shiny new planes and ships.
As a note, federal funds make up approximately 3% of Meals on Wheels funding.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I have voted absentee several times in Alabama and have never been asked for proof I couldn't be there in Election Day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
With all the recent budget talk and people expressing how these things should be considered for cutting because the poorest amongst us are just bottom feeders who are looking for government handouts, I thought some might appreciate this fact.

Donald Trump could reverse cuts to arts, poor and elderly if he stopped staying at Mar-a-lago

Independent.uk article above said:
Calculations show four programmes that face elimination - which tackle homelessness, unemployment among over-55s, participation in the arts and helping the poor access higher education - could be maintained at the cost of the President’s trips to his private Florida resort over the course of four years.
The services amount to a total of $597 million — just less than the $600 million security arrangements for the Mr Trump's Mar-a-Lago visits are estimated to cost the taxpayer over the course of his term.

The National Endowment for the Arts, which encourages participation in the arts ($152 million), the US Interagency Council on Homelessness ($4 million), an independent agency coordinating the federal government's efforts to reduce homelessness, the Senior Community Service Employment Program ($434 million), which has helped more than one million people 55 and older find jobs and the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars ($11 million), providing scholarships and fellowships in social sciences and humanities, are all facing the axe in Mr Trump's budget.
Say what you will about his budget, but if a company was in as bad as shape as Trump professes the country is in, and the CEO decided to tack on another $150 million per year unnecessarily he would be fired. I'm still waiting for all the people outraged over past presidents golf outings, or vacation expenses to start railing at the world over how much Trump has spent. I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
With Trump as president, it's amazing that the sun came out this morning, I drove to my kids' school for a planning meeting, then went to work, and am now able to sit here in my local Mexican restaurant and drink a few margaritas before going home to further relax with my family. Life really sux I guess.
that's pretty much my experience every day during the 8 years of obama's tyranny. what's your point

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm not sure why you're so hung up on hypotheticals, but fine. How about the surgeon who's elbow-deep in a Whipple procedure for 14 hours? Or the transplant team that gets a call at 7am and can't leave work until 10pm. Or the guy who works nights and has to decide if he'd rather vote and operate on 2 hours of sleep the next day, or just skip the polls and get a good night's rest. Can you honestly not think of any situation in which voting around one's work schedule would be highly inconvenient?

I'm not sure why this is getting pushback from you two. But I'll just say this: it's absurd to claim that voting on a weekend or holiday would be less convenient than voting on a work day.
But these things could happen to the hypothetical surgeon on a Saturday as well. No one is arguing about whether or not we could make it easier. We are simply saying it's easy enough already. And I'm claiming our poor turnout in America has nothing to do with Election Day being on a Tuesday and everything to do with civic apathy.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
But these things could happen to the hypothetical surgeon on a Saturday as well. No one is arguing about whether or not we could make it easier. We are simply saying it's easy enough already. And I'm claiming our poor turnout in America has nothing to do with Election Day being on a Tuesday and everything to do with civic apathy.
It's far, far less likely to pose a conflict on a day when surgeries are not scheduled (i.e. weekends or holidays). Perhaps I was unclear, but I agree with you that the driving force behind our low voter turnout is apathy. That said, I think there are definitely things we can do to make voting logistically easier. Opening more polling locations in areas that have historically had 4 hour lines is one such change, and making election day a holiday is another. Since this has veered way off topic, I'll leave it at that.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
It's just never his fault, is it?

Watch Donald Trump attempt to blame Fox News for his wiretap lie

President Trump had a blunt response when reporters pressed him about whether he would retract his unfounded allegation that President Obama tapped his phones during the 2016 campaign: Blame it all on Fox News.

During a press conference with visiting German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Trump said the White House wouldn’t apologize for the unfounded allegation and instead said any blame rested with the Fox News commentator, Andrew Napolitano, who first raised it.

“We said nothing,” Trump said in response to a question from a German reporter. “All we did was quote a certain very talented legal mind who was the one responsible for saying that on television. I didn’t make an opinion on it.”

“You shouldn’t be talking to me,” Trump added. “You should be talking to Fox.”

Fox News, which has become markedly pro-Trump in its coverage, quickly broke with the president and said it had “no evidence of any kind” that he’d been wiretapped.

“Fox News cannot confirm Judge Napolitano’s commentary. Fox News knows of no evidence of any kind that the now-president of the United States was surveilled at any time, any way,” one of its anchors, Shepard Smith, said. “Full stop.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.