The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
A rare non Friday bomb from WaPo.

Top intelligence official told associates Trump asked him if he could intervene with Comey on FBI Russia probe

The nation’s top intelligence official told associates in March that President Trump asked him if he could intervene with then-FBI Director James B. Comey to get the bureau to back off its focus on former national security adviser Michael Flynn in its Russia probe, according to officials.
On March 22, less than a week after being confirmed by the Senate, Director of National Intelligence Daniel Coats attended a briefing at the White House together with officials from several government agencies. As the briefing was wrapping up, Trump asked everyone to leave the room except for Coats and CIA Director Mike Pompeo.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
CANBERRA, Australia -- A former U.S. intelligence official says the Watergate scandal that brought down a president "pales" in comparison with allegations that President Trump's election campaign colluded with Russians.

James Clapper was director of national intelligence until Trump took office in January. He told Australia's National Press Club on Wednesday that the cover-up of a 1972 burglary at the Democratic Party national headquarters in the Watergate complex in Washington that ended Richard Nixon's presidency "was a scary time."

But he says the allegations under multiple investigations of Russian meddling in last year's presidential election are more concerning.

Clapper said: "I think (if) you compare the two that Watergate pales really in my view compared to what we're confronting now."
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/james-c...ndal-pales-in-comparison-with-russian-claims/

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Trump has apparently never forgiven Sessions for recusing himself from all Trump/Russia investigations. Tension between them has risen to the point where Sessions allegedly offered his resignation this week. Once Sessions could no longer shield him, Trump gathered Dan Coates and Mike Pompeo and asked them to help him make the Russia investigation go away. He asked the same of Comey, who was apparently so unsettled that he afterwards told Sessions never to let him be alone in a room with the president again.

Yeah, he seems pretty worried. I'm sure that WaPo article dropping the day before Coates testifies before the Senate was pure coincidence.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Trump has apparently never forgiven Sessions for recusing himself from all Trump/Russia investigations. Tension between them has risen to the point where Sessions allegedly offered his resignation this week. Once Sessions could no longer shield him, Trump gathered Dan Coates and Mike Pompeo and asked them to help him make the Russia investigation go away. He asked the same of Comey, who was apparently so unsettled that he afterwards told Sessions never to let him be alone in a room with the president again.

Yeah, he seems pretty worried. I'm sure that WaPo article dropping the day before Coates testifies before the Senate was pure coincidence.
I might actually like Trump if he would promise to keep Sessions out of Alabama.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I hear ya, but please don't inflict Alabama politics on the rest of the country.
It's kinda weird how both Alabamians and Californians want to impose their politics on the rest of the country but don't want the other to do the same. Sometimes I think if they just let each other be that maybe our differences would fade; but, alas, everyone thinks they carry the banner of righteousness into battle.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I might actually like Trump if he would promise to keep Sessions out of Alabama.
Actually, that had crossed my mind also. However, he'll stick in DC, either in a well-connected law firm or as a lobbyist. I'd add that I don't expect him to last out the year, especially since he's not shown the stubbornness that Comey did. I think Trump fired Comey for effect, to make a statement of anger, but I think he also realized that, in all probability, he felt that Comey would not resign, if asked to...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Actually, that had crossed my mind also. However, he'll stick in DC, either in a well-connected law firm or as a lobbyist. I'd add that I don't expect him to last out the year, especially since he's not shown the stubbornness that Comey did. I think Trump fired Comey for effect, to make a statement of anger, but I think he also realized that, in all probability, he felt that Comey would not resign, if asked to...
no way Comey would have resigned he would have said no, wrote a memo to himself about it and told a couple of his co-workers about the request from Trump

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
It's kinda weird how both Alabamians and Californians want to impose their politics on the rest of the country but don't want the other to do the same. Sometimes I think if they just let each other be that maybe our differences would fade; but, alas, everyone thinks they carry the banner of righteousness into battle.
Not that I disagree, but I was actually referring to the politicians themselves rather than their policies. For a while, I thought New England state governments had a monopoly on corruption, but lately Alabama has been trying very hard to steal that mantle.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Watching the over-site committee now on TV it seems that a backdoor version of executive privilege is being invoked without actually invoking executive privilege.:conf2: Could someone here with legal knowledge clarify whats going on?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Watching the over-site committee now on TV it seems that a backdoor version of executive privilege is being invoked without actually invoking executive privilege.:conf2: Could someone here with legal knowledge clarify whats going on?
I'm not watching. Who invoked it?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
It was very strange. Coates implied, without directly stating, that he couldn't answer questions about private conversations with Trump due to executive privilege. But then when pressed if he had a legal basis for not answering the Senators' questions on this topic, he responded, "I'm not sure I have a legal basis." Which was odd. Things will probably get clearer throughout the day, but early reporting/rumors seem to indicates that Coates et al. asked the White House about executive privilege, heard nothing in response, then decided to act in an abundance of caution.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
No one that I heard actually invoked it. They simply said that they felt it not appropriate in a public session to answer many questions even though not classified. They seemed to be dancing around executive privilege without actually invoking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.