The policy and politics of Trumpism - Page 4
Page 4 of 177 FirstFirst 12345678910111454104 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar

Re: The policy and politics of Trumpism

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson Monroe View Post
    Taking people's money that they paid in their entire working life infuriates me to no end.
    Aye, even if SS remains solvent and no changes are made, I will never see all of the money I've paid into it.
    The Concord Blue Devils, 17-Time World Champions: 2015, 2014 (99.65), 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, & 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

“The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    Aye, even if SS remains solvent and no changes are made, I will never see all of the money I've paid into it.
    Live longer

BamaNation All-American CharminTide's Avatar

Trump on why he doesn't need daily intelligence briefings:
    You know, I'm, like, a smart person. I don't have to be told the same thing in the same words every single day for the next eight years. Could be eight years — but eight years. I don't need that. But I do say, 'If something should change, let us know.'

Trump previews how he will handle his conflicts of interest:
    My executives will run [my various companies] with my children. It's a big company, it's a great company. But I'm going to have nothing to do with management.

BamaNation All-American CharminTide's Avatar

Okay, back to actual policy conversations: the fate of the ACA. I feel like the GOP has painted themselves into a corner on this, and I'm not sure how they're going to escape it. They've spent the last 7 years publicly criticizing the failings of the ACA: too many people were left uncovered, many areas of the country have a shrinking number of insurer choices in the marketplace, premiums and deductibles are too high, many plans don't cover what people would want or expect.

And to be clear, I agree with all of that criticism. McConnell and Ryan made the calculus that instead of trying to fix those problems, they would just complain about the law. It ended up being a great political strategy in the short-term, but I've always anticipated long-term repercussions that I think are now starting to manifest.

There is no single GOP replacement plan, but all the proposals are very similar: the ACA was largely funded by increasing taxes on the wealthy, and all the GOP replacement plans roll that back. The result is that their replacement plans actually worsen many of the criticisms the party has leveled at the ACA for years. They result in, at best, the same coverage level as the current ACA; in truth, the vast majority of plans would actually reduce the number of Americans covered with healthcare. And no plan reduces premiums. There are some interesting ideas, like healthcare saving accounts and various forms of rebates, but nothing that actually makes the delivery of care less expensive to the individual. Which is completely understandable when you consider that the major source of ACA funding is removed in all GOP replacement ideas.

Assuming their fundamental tax reform idea will not change, here's how I see their options:

1) Repeal and immediately replace: This will be tough, not only because the party hasn't unified behind a single plan, but also because the political price of telling millions of Americans that they're suddenly off healthcare is pretty steep. Given the chaos in Congress around this option, I don't see it as a likely outcome. Especially given that a repeal vote seems imminent and a replacement plan is nowhere in sight.

2) Repeal and delay a replacement: This will be initially easy, but a terrible burden in the long-term. First, the idea that markets will remain stable in the interim between repeal and replacement has been debunked by every health policy expert. The marketplaces will destabilize, premiums will hike, and GOP congressmen will rightfully start to get tons of angry phone calls from their constituents. It also 100% ties the GOP to formulating and owning a replacement plan. In general, it's easy to have ambitions towards enacting a huge sweeping governmental reform of an existing system (think social security privatization with Bush); but when that ambition fails, as it did with Bush, you can always just walk away and leave the existing system in place. The problem with repeal and delay is that the GOP would never be able to just walk away. They'll be stuck having to find a replacement plan, which is very, very hard. Because of the difficulty, I would anticipate that the delay timeline would be continually pushed back again and again as no consensus gets reached, and piecing together a new healthcare system would become the issue that defines this Congress.

3) Keep the ACA and fix the broken aspects: This is the most reasonable option, and what I've been hoping they would do for years. But politically, this is now impossible. They've demonized the law and promised a repeal for so long that they cannot simply keep and reform it.

4) Repeal and do nothing: Political suicide.
    Last edited by CharminTide; January 12th, 2017 at 07:02 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post

Generally looks like a reasonable plan, especially the divestiture of future foreign business opportunities. Mr. Shaub looks a bit silly with his comments.

did you see the stacks of folders he had beside him, and his serious lawyer? how dare you question him.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-American MattinBama's Avatar

I don't care about the long term problems as much as I care currently about not having to pay the tax penalty yearly. That penalty just slaps a vicious cycle on those people that want insurance but can't afford it under ACA.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    did you see the stacks of folders he had beside him, and his serious lawyer? how dare you question him.
    Binders full of women??

BamaNation All-American bama_wayne1's Avatar

I think the real need of for the ACA was brought on by:
    #1 Loss of major industry that once insured their employees and their families. This is a direct result of NAFTA.
    #2 Millions of illegal aliens not being able to get or demand fair treatment from employers or care providers.
    I believe that our president elect is interested in solving both of these issues. I also realize that there are many who are worried about what will happen to these people, I am one of those people. With that being said I still can't allow myself to be too bought into the plight of someone who is breaking the law. I realize many of you will think me harsh and frankly brand me as an idiot. I will pray for these people. I will do anything I can to apply pressure to get a smoother immigration policy. That still doesn't mean it is okay to break existing law. I also believe he is going to work to gain employment for more Americans in heavy industry. Employer insurance will increase the cost of products but it was there once upon a time and we all lived.

Quote Originally Posted by bama_wayne1 View Post
    #1 Loss of major industry that once insured their employees and their families. This is a direct result of NAFTA.
    #2 Millions of illegal aliens not being able to get or demand fair treatment from employers or care providers.
    I believe that our president elect is interested in solving both of these issues. I also realize that there are many who are worried about what will happen to these people, I am one of those people. With that being said I still can't allow myself to be too bought into the plight of someone who is breaking the law. I realize many of you will think me harsh and frankly brand me as an idiot. I will pray for these people. I will do anything I can to apply pressure to get a smoother immigration policy. That still doesn't mean it is okay to break existing law. I also believe he is going to work to gain employment for more Americans in heavy industry. Employer insurance will increase the cost of products but it was there once upon a time and we all lived.
    many of those heavy industry jobs have been lost to productivity improvements.
    Last edited by 92tide; January 12th, 2017 at 08:27 AM.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Binders full of women??
    binders aren't classy enough for his wimmenz, unless they are these binders

- George Orwell

— Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-American tattooguy21's Avatar

I can't speak too intelligently regarding ACA, because I

1) don't have it
    2) will never have it
    3) don't pay any penalties for not having it.

But the wife, who is vp of a company for over 17 years, is acutely aware and familiar with it, from both a business and private standpoint.

From a business standpoint, the requirement to insure workers (based on them being full full time/ x number of hours worked a week) gave businesses the loophole to

1) reduce hours for individuals so they didn't meet the requirement to insure them.
    2) this reduced wages for employees, resulting in the need for additional jobs and the individual forced into getting insurance via the ACA exchange

For the individuals, they're screwed. Why?

1) limited insurers on ACA (meaning higher prices)
    2) you're NOT keeping your dr
    3) benefits/plans not a good as those offered to business
    4) high premium/ high deductible (yay, you get to pay more on the front and back end
    5) people can opt out with "penalty" pay, thus making the pool of people insured even smaller, and more expensive for those in it

At the end of the day, my biggest issue regarding all this was that it was mandatory (with exceptions like me). Isn't this the first time the gov't has said, "you will buy our product or you will be punished."
    Last edited by tattooguy21; January 12th, 2017 at 09:02 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame NationalTitles16's Avatar

Okay, back to actual policy conversations: the fate of the ACA. I feel like the GOP has painted themselves into a corner on this, and I'm not sure how they're going to escape it. They've spent the last 7 years publicly criticizing the failings of the ACA: too many people were left uncovered, many areas of the country have a shrinking number of insurer choices in the marketplace, premiums and deductibles are too high, many plans don't cover what people would want or expect.

And to be clear, I agree with all of that criticism. McConnell and Ryan made the calculus that instead of trying to fix those problems, they would just complain about the law. It ended up being a great political strategy in the short-term, but I've always anticipated long-term repercussions that I think are now starting to manifest.

There is no single GOP replacement plan, but all the proposals are very similar: the ACA was largely funded by increasing taxes on the wealthy, and all the GOP replacement plans roll that back. The result is that their replacement plans actually worsen many of the criticisms the party has leveled at the ACA for years. They result in, at best, the same coverage level as the current ACA; in truth, the vast majority of plans would actually reduce the number of Americans covered with healthcare. And no plan reduces premiums. There are some interesting ideas, like healthcare saving accounts and various forms of rebates, but nothing that actually makes the delivery of care less expensive to the individual. Which is completely understandable when you consider that the major source of ACA funding is removed in all GOP replacement ideas.

Assuming their fundamental tax reform idea will not change, here's how I see their options:

1) Repeal and immediately replace: This will be tough, not only because the party hasn't unified behind a single plan, but also because the political price of telling millions of Americans that they're suddenly off healthcare is pretty steep. Given the chaos in Congress around this option, I don't see it as a likely outcome. Especially given that a repeal vote seems imminent and a replacement plan is nowhere in sight.

2) Repeal and delay a replacement: This will be initially easy, but a terrible burden in the long-term. First, the idea that markets will remain stable in the interim between repeal and replacement has been debunked by every health policy expert. The marketplaces will destabilize, premiums will hike, and GOP congressmen will rightfully start to get tons of angry phone calls from their constituents. It also 100% ties the GOP to formulating and owning a replacement plan. In general, it's easy to have ambitions towards enacting a huge sweeping governmental reform of an existing system (think social security privatization with Bush); but when that ambition fails, as it did with Bush, you can always just walk away and leave the existing system in place. The problem with repeal and delay is that the GOP would never be able to just walk away. They'll be stuck having to find a replacement plan, which is very, very hard. Because of the difficulty, I would anticipate that the delay timeline would be continually pushed back again and again as no consensus gets reached, and piecing together a new healthcare system would become the issue that defines this Congress.

3) Keep the ACA and fix the broken aspects: This is the most reasonable option, and what I've been hoping they would do for years. But politically, this is now impossible. They've demonized the law and promised a repeal for so long that they cannot simply keep and reform it.

4) Repeal and do nothing: Political suicide.
    Good thoughtful post. It looks at it all from political aspects. It totally discounts pass and delay of the ACA itself and the fallout from that. No real solution proposed. But it's still a good thoughtful post and I mean that. The R's can't govern and they're about to prove it. They will do no better than the D's.

Quote Originally Posted by bama_wayne1 View Post
    NAFTA gets all the blame, but you can take one look at the regulatory burden and see that is perhaps more responsible for the problem you site. Trade is good. Free trade is better. But when you price yourself out of the market it hurts.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!