The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
The Repubs knew something was fishy when they saw the names Mulder and Scully on the FISA warrant.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Donald Trump Is Playing a Dangerous Game of Nuclear Poker

Since 1993, the Department of Energy has had to be ready to conduct a nuclear test within two to three years if ordered by the President. Late last year, the Trump Administration ordered the department to be ready, for the first time, to conduct a short-notice nuclear test in as little as six months.

That is not enough time to install the warhead in shafts as deep as 4,000 ft. and affix all the proper technical instrumentation and diagnostics equipment. But the purpose of such a detonation, which the Administration labels “a simple test, with waivers and simplified processes,” would not be to ensure that the nation’s most powerful weapons were in operational order, or to check whether a new type of warhead worked, a TIME review of nuclear-policy documents has found. Rather, a National Nuclear Security Administration official tells TIME, such a test would be “conducted for political purposes.”

The point, this and other sources say, would be to show Russia’s Vladimir Putin, North Korea’s Kim Jong Un, Iran’s Ayatullah Ali Khamenei and other adversaries what they are up against.

To prevent nuclear war and the spread of weapons to non-nuclear states, the strategy of Republican and Democratic Commanders in Chief alike has been to reduce nuclear arsenals and forge new arms-control agreements.

The Trump Administration, by contrast, is convinced that the best way to limit the spreading nuclear danger is to expand and advertise its ability to annihilate its enemies. In addition to putting the Nevada testing ground on notice, he has signed off on a $1.2 trillion plan to overhaul the entire nuclear-weapons complex. Trump has authorized a new nuclear warhead, the first in 34 years. He is funding research and development on a mobile medium-range missile. The new weapon, if tested or deployed, would be prohibited by a 30-year-old Cold War nuclear-forces agreement with Russia (which has already violated the agreement). And for the first time, the U.S. is expanding the scenarios under which the President would consider going nuclear to “significant non-nuclear strategic attacks,” including major cyberattacks.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Did you bother to listen to the explanation in the video?
I have, and I think Nunes is the Hill’s version of Leeroy Jenkins.

I think the big takeaway here is that Nunes was calling the Democrats liars for pointing out that the dossier didn't play a huge role in the FISA application...but...he hasn't read it.

Schiff has read it.

Considering Gowdy's reaction since the memo's release, I have to wonder if it was even his idea to release it, or if he realized Nunes was a moron but realized he couldn't stop him from putting it out there.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Did you bother to listen to the explanation in the video?
Sure. Gowdy and some others read and took notes to maintain security on the information. That does not change the fact that

1. Nunes helped write a memo on intelligence he only had 2nd hand knowledge of.
2. Nunes (allegedly) re-wrote the memo on his own, slanting the memo even further than the originally approved memo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.