The policy and politics of Trumpism - Page 474
Page 474 of 479 FirstFirst ... 374424464467468469470471472473474475476477478479 LastLast
Results 6,150 to 6,162 of 6222

Re: The policy and politics of Trumpism

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    Rush may change his tune if Irma hits his home in West Palm Beach.
    50 points for JT.

Limbaugh evacuates South Florida after claiming Hurricane Irma was a liberal hoax

Rush Limbaugh will be evacuating South Florida, just days after the popular conservative radio host claimed that Hurricane Irma would not hit the United States and that scientists and the liberal media were hyping up the hurricane as proof of their global warming “lie.”

“May as well… announce this. I’m not going to get into details because of the security nature of things, but it turns out that we will not be able to do the program here tomorrow,” Limbaugh said Thursday. “We’ll be on the air next week, folks, from parts unknown.”

Limbaugh said the show will be back on the air Monday, but to be on the air Friday would be “legally impossible” for them do to the show out of South Florida.

Limbaugh did not recant his earlier statements about Irma, and he did not encourage his listeners in the area to evacuate. In fact, Limbaugh seemed to even double down on his earlier views.

“The views expressed by the host of this program [are] documented to be almost always right 99.8 percent of the time,” Limbaugh said right before announcing he would be leaving South Florida for parts unknown. “There is a reason for that because we engage in a relentless and unstoppable pursuit of the truth and we find and proclaim it and that happens to drive people crazy.”

2. Advertisement

Selma's Jeremiah award to JT...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Assuming Shumer is telling the truth (I know), his remarks were very telling. He said that Trump called him and told him that Fox News was praising him and that "your stations" (MSNBC, etc.) were praising Trump. He then said "This is great!"
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Assuming Shumer is telling the truth (I know), his remarks were very telling. He said that Trump called him and told him that Fox News was praising him and that "your stations" (MSNBC, etc.) were praising Trump. He then said "This is great!"
    Surely the POTUS is above being influenced by that sort of gratuitous flattery.

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    Surely the POTUS is above being influenced by that sort of gratuitous flattery.
    One prominent Republican made the statement yesterday, not quite using "gratuitous flattery," that he hoped that wasn't the case...

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    One prominent Republican made the statement yesterday, not quite using "gratuitous flattery," that he hoped that wasn't the case...
    He must be new here.

Bannon on Russia

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1ace1a88a0bb

Stephen K. Bannon labeled the Russia investigation a “farce” and a “waste of time” during his interview with “60 Minutes” this weekend. But those strong words papered over what was otherwise a pretty nervous and nonsensical defense of President Trump on Russia.

If you watch the video above, you'll see Bannon repeatedly stumble over his answers to Charlie Rose's questions. Bannon echoed the Trump White House's long-running strategy of deflecting on Russia, responding to questions about whether there was interference by saying there was no collusion and that it didn't have an impact. Both times Bannon tried this, though, Rose called him out for not answering the question.

And by the end of the segment, Bannon offered perhaps his most illogical argument of the entire interview, suggesting that Trump didn't more directly criticize Russia because he doesn't want to pick a fight (!). This is a president, of course, who picks fights with pretty much everyone — up to and including members of his own party, his own staff, and powerful and adversarial countries like China.
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Rush must have thought his hot was going to blow it off course.

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    Rush must have thought his hot was going to blow it off course.
    One wag put on my Facebook page that all of the tech-savvy people here in HSV had turned on all the fans and aimed them southeast...

AP: Schumer, Pelosi announce deal with Trump [on DACA] to protect young immigrants; will include border security, but no wall.

Aides familiar with the exchange said that Trump and the party leaders agreed to move quickly on legislation to protect the roughly 690,000 people protected under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, program that is set to expire in June.

In a statement, Schumer and Pelosi said they had “a very productive meeting at the White House with the President. The discussion focused on DACA. We agreed to enshrine the protections of DACA into law quickly, and to work out a package of border security, excluding the wall, that’s acceptable to both sides.”
    Link
    Last edited by CharminTide; September 13th, 2017 at 09:44 PM.

And moments later:

So, who the heck knows.

Trump's and Nunes' "unmasking" rhetoric seems to be backfiring tremendously.

Rice told House investigators why she unmasked senior Trump officials

Former national security adviser Susan Rice privately told House investigators that she unmasked the identities of senior Trump officials to understand why the crown prince of the United Arab Emirates was in New York late last year, multiple sources told CNN.

The crown prince, Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed al-Nahyan, arrived in New York last December in the transition period before Trump was sworn into office for a meeting with several top Trump officials, including Michael Flynn, the president's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and his top strategist Steve Bannon, sources said.

The Obama administration felt misled by the United Arab Emirates, which had failed to mention that Zayed was coming to the United States even though it's customary for foreign dignitaries to notify the US government about their travels
    , according to several sources familiar with the matter. Rice, who served as then-President Obama's national security adviser in his second term, told the House Intelligence Committee last week that she requested the names of the Americans mentioned in the classified report be revealed internally, a practice officials in both parties say is common.

The New York meeting preceded a separate effort by the UAE to facilitate a back-channel communication between Russia and the incoming Trump White House.
    Rice's previously undisclosed revelation in a classified setting shines new light on a practice that had come under sharp criticism from the committee chairman, California Rep. Devin Nunes, and President Donald Trump, who previously accused Rice of committing a crime.

But her explanation appears to have satisfied some influential Republicans on the committee, undercutting both Nunes and Trump and raising new questions about whether any Trump associates tried to arrange back-channel discussions with the Russians.

"I didn't hear anything to believe that she did anything illegal," Florida Rep. Tom Rooney, a Republican helping to lead the panel's Russia invesigation, told CNN of Rice's testimony.

"She was a good witness, answered all our questions," Rep. Mike Conaway, the Texas Republican now running the House Russia probe, told CNN. "I'm not aware of any reason to bring her back."

Nunes refused to answer questions when asked about Rice Tuesday evening.

Can you post the links? For some reason, Firefox has quit displaying embedded tweets for me...