Not open for further replies.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
It is a weird time we are living in when Redstate.com is a voice of reason

https://www.redstate.com/arbogast/2...m-trumps-constant-attacks-on-the-rule-of-law/
Conservative intellectuals are in a precarious position. They're untethered from the movement they once tried to lend legitimacy to. It's damn near impossible to legitimize Trump, which is why so many of them are anti-Trump. Goldberg, French, Erickson, all adrift without a harbor right now, because, like it or not, Trump now represents the conservative movement.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Conservative intellectuals are in a precarious position. They're untethered from the movement they once tried to lend legitimacy to. It's damn near impossible to legitimize Trump, which is why so many of them are anti-Trump. Goldberg, French, Erickson, all adrift without a harbor right now, because, like it or not, Trump now represents the conservative movement.
Nailed it. David Brooks, Will and others come to mind...

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
and dollhands still has 85% approval with the gop. i'm glad there are some conservative voices calling out this crap, but imho, it's too little too late. they gleefully held the door open while the horse ran out of the barn, but now they realize they can't get it back in.
Most of the people speaking up had serious concerns about Trump from the get-go.

To me, the most damning loss of the whole election was Rubio in the primary. He was so obviously the best candidate overall and Republicans STILL voted Trump over him. It wasn't even a choice between Trump and Hillary, who are both disgusting orcs. It was between Trump and a Rubio, a young, charismatic, experienced, well-spoken, latino. To me, that's the biggest condemnation of our party. We had the chance to save face right off the bat and we completely screwed the pooch. It was horrible.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Most of the people speaking up had serious concerns about Trump from the get-go.

To me, the most damning loss of the whole election was Rubio in the primary. He was so obviously the best candidate overall and Republicans STILL voted Trump over him. It wasn't even a choice between Trump and Hillary, who are both disgusting orcs. It was between Trump and a Rubio, a young, charismatic, experienced, well-spoken, latino. To me, that's the biggest condemnation of our party. We had the chance to save face right off the bat and we completely screwed the pooch. It was horrible.
i guess my point was more that these guys were perfectly willing to lend intellectual legitimacy to the gop while the undercurrent of nastiness that led to trump's election festered for the past several years. it gets back to my thoughts that trump is not the problem, he's the symptom. and i think your observations on rubio show some of that problem within the gop

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
i guess my point was more that these guys were perfectly willing to lend intellectual legitimacy to the gop while the undercurrent of nastiness that led to trump's election festered for the past several years. it gets back to my thoughts that trump is not the problem, he's the symptom. and i think your observations on rubio show some of that problem within the gop
I'd have to agree.

Yah, it's not a great time to be Conservative. I'm really just hoping they find enough to impeach Trump. The things that have gone on that I have liked could be done by any President, they aren't ideas unique to him.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Who are the conservatives now. Trump, McConnell, Nunes, Corker, Rubio, Meadows? I am no longer sure the self-proclaimed conservatives know what a true conservative is. I used to consider myself a somewhat conservative, but can tell you that ship has sailed. The conservative movement appears to no longer be a party but a tribe.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Who are the conservatives now. Trump, McConnell, Nunes, Corker, Rubio, Meadows? I am no longer sure the self-proclaimed conservatives know what a true conservative is. I used to consider myself a somewhat conservative, but can tell you that ship has sailed. The conservative movement appears to no longer be a party but a tribe.
8 years ago this summer.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Erick Erickson gets a GOP Congressman to tell him what he really thinks about Trump and allows him to publish as long as he doesn't mention names. This is an amazing read, it is also very much against tidefans language policy though he does use asterisks in the middle of a few words if that makes it better (doesn't for me). Proceed at your own risk, you have been warned, but imo this is a must read. I mean he call Trump "An Evil really stupid Forest Gump" doesn't get much better than that

Last edited by a moderator:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Erick Erickson gets a GOP Congressman to tell him what he really thinks about Trump and allows him to publish as long as he doesn't mention names. This is an amazing read, it is also very much against tidefans language policy though he does use asterisks in the middle of a few words if that makes it better (doesn't for me). Proceed at your own risk, you have been warned, but imo this is a must read. I mean he call Trump "An Evil really stupid Forest Gump" doesn't get much better than that
I hated to delete the link, but anyone who wants to read it can go to the maven.net or google maven.net>congressman>profanity...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
thanks Earl. Wondered if it was kosher or not since it was edited. Now I know
Well the rule is against even implied profanity, either outright or implied, and that is either or posted or linked. The best thing is to give direction on how to look it up. I read it with a mixture of schadenfreude and fury...

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Jeez. Whoever that is had better hope his name doesn't leak.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Trump is going to pardon Scooter Libby.
Scooter was convicted of perjury and lying to the FBI. Trump will pardon Libby to mentally prepare Fox News viewers for when he later pardons Bannon, Cohen, Flynn, Manafort, and everyone else who has been touched by Mueller's investigation. This is the death throes of a dangerous and unstable man who recognizes the end coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.