The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
1) Do you agree that Trump's lies about the free press and the Mueller investigation lead to a general disrespect for the law and the constitution among those who follow his morally corrupt lead?

2) Since you posit that our political system "has sucked" for a good many years, what exactly sucked about it? We may have found an area of agreement here.

3) Being a lifetime optimist, I also think our republic will survive Trump. I fervently hope so, and I would be quite happy to see it begin to right itself with his impeachment and conviction by the senate. I do, though, believe it is in dire jeopardy, and I blame those Republicans in congress for allowing the danger to build through their cowardice. (or is it lack of morality?)
1. What a question. Maybe. Maybe not. When was Washington not filled with corrupt liars? How do you calculate an increase? By what's read in the media? Maybe.....

2. I feel we should have a lot better assortment of candidates for president each cycle. That expression "clown car" was bandied about here and that says it all. That's my #1. The rest has to do with gridlocked congress and the folks getting the shaft because of it. Not to mention all the special interests and PAC stuff going on. It's awful!

3. I'm an equal opportunity critic. I blame both Republicans and Democrats! But embrace your optimism....stay positive, Bob!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Other things that I could see affecting people in a personal way would involve increased bigotry and/or racism towards themselves or members of their family....or close friends.

Financials I already mentioned. Health care already mentioned.

What else.....employment?

Associated with financials but maybe also things that negatively impacted your business? Or the industry you are in?

None of that has negatively impacted me but just curious what your experiences have been.....
Give it time and you'll how his trade war with our allies will affect all here, and the world...

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
Bazza said this: I feel we should have a lot better assortment of candidates for president each cycle. That expression "clown car" was bandied about here and that says it all. That's my #1. The rest has to do with gridlocked congress and the folks getting the shaft because of it. Not to mention all the special interests and PAC stuff going on. It's awful!

I don't want to seem impolite, Bazza, your replies seem to me to abound in complaints while being devoid of suggestions. If PACs are a sore point, how do you feel about money being equal to free speech? How about some election reform: severe limits on giving; limits as well on the amount allowed to be spent? More and more diverse presidential candidates? How do we accomplish that? In the present system a person almost has to be a millionaire to run for the senate. Should we do away with the electoral college? Us only federal money to fund elections? Require equal TV time for candidates?

***Freddie Freeman just hit a home run. Atlanta leads the Mets 2-0***

I am extremely frustrated by the divisiveness in our electorate and in congress. Where are the moderates? Who speaks for the guy in the middle? Where are the candidates who go to congress to accomplish things? Not just for those who elected them, but for the good of the country, and for doing the right thing?

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Glad it worked out for you guys and your families....

I don't mean to pry, but isn't Obamacare still in place for you?
I'm on Medicare which is separate from Obamacare. Mrs. Seebell is still on Obamacare. Obamacare is still around in spite of the Republicans best efforts to sabotage it and create market uncertainty.

I will say that if I hadn't qualified for a subsidy the price increase would have been infuriating.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
A very insightful Canadian perspective...

MacLeans
Not a bad idea at all.

And for our friends who like to throw around the term "liberal", I feel the need to explain that the author's use of the word may not mean what you think it means when he says "the President of the United States is dismantling the entire liberal international order we have spent a century building, and he is completely focused on promoting his own interests, at the expense of American allies, and at the expense of Americans themselves."

Liberal[FONT=&quot] can be traced back to the Latin word [/FONT]liber[FONT=&quot] (meaning “free”), which is also the root of [/FONT]liberty[FONT=&quot]("the quality or state of being free") and [/FONT]libertine[FONT=&quot] ("one leading a dissolute life"). However, we did not simply take the word [/FONT]liber[FONT=&quot] and make it into [/FONT]liberal[FONT=&quot]; our modern term for the inhabitants of the leftish side of the political spectrum comes more recently from the Latin [/FONT]liberalis[FONT=&quot], which means “of or constituting liberal arts, of freedom, of a freedman.”
[/FONT]
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/liberal-meaning-origin-history
I'd be A-OK with Canada and other nations taking this approach, with the caveat that it might actually send the man over the edge.

From the article:

As I’ve pointed out before, the President can be successfully engaged, and countries like Ukraine, China, and Qatar have demonstrated this. When they want something from the United States, they skip the State Department, and even the White House staff. Instead of approaching their problem state-to-state, they go state-to-man. These countries focus on what Trump wants on a personal level – to enrich his family. So Beijing granted Ivanka trademarks, Qatar invested in one of Jared’s office towers, and Ukraine, with Slavic candor, simply wired half a million dollars to the President’s personal lawyer Michael Cohen.
The bolded above represents terrible behavior on the part of our president and should be impeachable and indictable offenses. No one with any modicum of decency or integrity can excuse these actions which at the least constitute emollients and at worst constitute outright bribes since Trump has not divested of his interest in the family businesses. We do not yet know where the money that went to Cohen has made its way, but our president will directly benefit from the others. Simply outrageous behavior here.

Despite this man being a despicable human being I gave him every chance to enter office and become a statesman with as much "support" and hope as I could muster.

However, any positive effects he might have been responsible for are overshadowed by his many failings and outright misdeeds and that includes the positives in the economy if you are willing to give him credit for that.

And before the subject is broached I want to remind everyone that I did not vote for Hillary. I opposed Trump at the ballot box but cannot be accused of the usual sin in binary politics of supporting the "other party".

I did not like the norms of politics prior to Trump entering office but he is pushing the norms far past the breaking point.

I just hope we can somehow survive his term in office, however long it is. Given that republicans have not indicated any semblance of a backbone my guess is the economy will be the biggest determinant of that. People may even bristle enough at his unpresidential behavior that he loses their favor. More to the point, his tariffs will likely cause financial harm to those who supported him and may be what ultimately causes him to lose reelection.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Can't link for a little bit of language but should be easily searched out:

Dailybeast - Trump's Negotiating Style is Pure Art of the Moron.

A sample:

Don’t I get it? Don’t I love how Trump is achieving the impossible, and soaring to heights to which no other president could aspire? Haven’t I gotten over the election yet? When, oh when, will I finally MAGA? I received an email Tuesday from a Trump fan asking why for once I couldn’t congratulate Donald Trump for his work with North Korea.

Leaving aside my usual critiques of Trump, which are, as you may have noticed, colorful, varied, and pointed, let’s give the president a fair assessment of his week’s activities, and thanks and credit where thanks and credit are due.

Of course, we start when Trump fled the humid confines of Washington, D.C., jetting to Quebec to blow up the G7 summit and take a massive political and rhetorical dump on some of our longest-standing and closest allies. But I’m playing nice, so thank you, Mr. President, for adopting 19th-century trade policies that combine both raging economic illiteracy and inevitably adverse outcomes for America. Well done.

Great work taking direction from the Home Office in Moscow; you spent more time at the G7 summit doing Vladimir Putin’s bidding than you did strengthening the ties between the United States and our closest allies.

Even so, I’m supposed to thank the president, right? Well, thank you, Donald. You sent a message to our allies in Asia and beyond that you’re willing to compromise their security and ours for an inconsequential photo-op with a hopped-up fatboy dictator who looks like Pyongyang already has a Krispy Kreme and a Popeyes, and he’s the only one allowed to eat in them.
The media article is so mean to poor strongman Trump that Trump supporters will be forced even more forcibly to vote for Trump again.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
John Oliver has a great extended segment on how the right is undermining the investigation. Can't link due to language, but if you google "John Oliver Mueller", the video will be close to the top, if not at the top.
I’ve watched it, his work on Stupid Watergate has been excellent. However like most well put together, thoroughly researched and documented information, the people who need to see it will never take the time, nor consider it as anything more than libtard fantasy conspiracy theories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.