The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
https://www.npr.org/2018/07/04/6259...ake-citizenship-from-those-who-lied-to-get-it

When an immigrant becomes a naturalized U.S. citizen, there's a sense of permanence. But a Trump administration effort is seeking those who cheated to get citizenship, and plans to take it from them.

NGAI: The last time the federal government tried to denaturalize citizens was during the McCarthy period. And they went after people who they were accusing of being Communists who were naturalized citizens. And they took away their citizenship and deported them. It wasn't that many people because, actually, it's not that easy to do. But that was the last time that there was a concerted effort. So it's been...

CHANG: Wow.

NGAI: ...Almost 75 years...

CHANG: Wow.

NGAI: ...Since the government has tried to do it. And I think most people would say that the Red Scare, or the McCarthy period, was not the nation's proudest moment.

NGAI: Well, this is another important issue today because it is not an immigration issue. This is an issue of the district courts. It's the district courts that grant citizenship, that grant naturalization. And it's only the district courts that can take it away. So a charge has to be brought by a U.S. attorney. Now, the Trump administration is being very vague about this. But if they are going to hand this over to Department of Homeland Security or ICE, which is what some of the murmurings indicate, then that would be a violation of our own established procedures, and people would not be getting their day in court.
Naturalized citizens typically renounce their citizenship in their home country and likely would have no where to be sent if deported. So they would most likely end up concentrated.....in.......

It could hardly be anymore blatantly obvious where this is all heading. Thankfully it's not like we have any things like a Trump Dictactor-style military parade, or Trump saying maybe we'll give the President for life thing a shot one day, or Trump repeatedly dehumanizing immigrants, or Trump's regular praising of dictactors, or Trump's arguing against the Geneva Conventions to look at as any indication that this is a repeating pattern.

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
The full text:
There are so many cult-like revelations coming out about this administration, and this letter takes the cake.

I thought to highlight the number of times Pruitt used the words 'serving you', but the full text didn't show up on this post. As a Christian, the idea of service (particularly in the Methodist church) is stressed highly. It always refers to the service of God, however, never to any human. Christ thought of himself as a servant; He emphasized the idea of serving the poor and the widows (who were necessarily poor since the absence of a provider in the home without any social network to step in was a cultural reality at the time). Pruitt's letter reminds me of the kind of adoring faithfulness that is seen around the most destructive dictators or cult leaders the world has ever known. The silence of the majority of Republicans in congress in the face of this president's incompetency, his praise of every dictator in the world today, his attack on the first amendment, and his corruption, lead me to believe they share in this cult-like worship. Nah. It's just self-interest in most cases. Putting morality, honesty, and their duty to represent the interests of ALL Americans far beyond their obsessive need to be reelected.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I may have missed it but I don't think I saw this posted yet. Sorry if its a repeat

US Army quietly discharging immigrant recruits

[FONT=&quot]SAN ANTONIO — Some immigrant U.S. Army reservists and recruits who enlisted in the military with a promised path to citizenship are being abruptly discharged, the Associated Press has learned.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The AP was unable to quantify how many men and women who enlisted through the special recruitment program have been booted from the Army, but immigration attorneys say they know of more than 40 who have been discharged or whose status has become questionable, jeopardizing their futures.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“It was my dream to serve in the military,” said reservist Lucas Calixto, a Brazilian immigrant who filed a lawsuit against the Army last week. “Since this country has been so good to me, I thought it was the least I could do to give back to my adopted country and serve in the United States military.”[/FONT]

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Regarding that letter:

What. The. Heck.

Nothing about serving the people or upholding the constitution. Just dribbling all over himself with praise to almighty dear leader.

Sickening.
I think the problem is that you just don't realize that the letter was an example of the expected civility towards the dear leader. WHY CAN'T YOU PEOPLE JUST BE CIVIL TO THE PRESIDENT?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I was wondering about this. It seems pretty odd.
it's always good to be skeptical of stuff coming out. that also applies to the "well this is really obama's fault and let me tell you why" asides that always pop up alongside these stories.

the problem these days is that we seem to have several crazy things coming out weekly and you can't keep up with them. it's almost like the chaos is by design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.