The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Thanks. The videos are blocked; I'll take a look when I get home. With that said, people should have to put forth some effort. I don't buy lack of funds as a reason for getting an ID. People waste money an all sorts of crap. If they don't care enough to set aside a few bucks (and a few minutes out of the year) for an ID then it doesn't bother me that they don't vote.
for what it's worth it can be a problem in States with budget issues (or racists tendencies, we report you decide)

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/10/gov_bentley_says_decision_to_c.html

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
for what it's worth it can be a problem in States with budget issues (or racists tendencies, we report you decide)

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/10/gov_bentley_says_decision_to_c.html
I thought it was mostly the poor and elderly being denied access for voter IDs? A driver's permit is not a right.
Alabama requires every voter to have a valid photo ID to cast a ballot. While a driver's license is the most common form of ID in the state, Bentley said anyone without a driver's license can go to any county register's office and have a photo ID made and the closing of the DMV offices will not change that fact.
Bentley also pointed out that every probate judge in the state has the authority to renew driver's licenses and the closing of the DMV offices will not change that fact.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
There is nothing "racist" about requiring someone to present a photo id prior to voting.
I agree

though closing DMV's in heavily black areas to prevent people from obtaining the ID's to vote, most certainly is.

(for the record I don't think that is what Alabama was doing, just presenting the argument as I often hear it)

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
I agree

though closing DMV's in heavily black areas to prevent people from obtaining the ID's to vote, most certainly is.

(for the record I don't think that is what Alabama was doing, just presenting the argument as I often hear it)
If ALL offices were closed that would be one thing, but when you can go to another office and get an id then the argument doesn't "hold water" so to speak.

ETA- added video (fair warning snowflakes, its a Fox News video)

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
If ALL offices were closed that would be one thing, but when you can go to another office and get an id then the argument doesn't "hold water" so to speak.
It's far more of an inconvenience to a certain demographic than to others.

But the larger point is that no investigation of voter fraud has ever found anything more than a negligible handful of cases. Trump's interpretation of the one study he continually cites in support of this nonsense has been debunked by the author of said study. It simply isn't a problem, but it's interesting to hear small-government types propose sweeping federal restrictions to correct an issue that doesn't exist. Personally, I'd consider any voting requirement that forces me to enter a DMV office to be an unjust obstacle to exercising my patriotic, red-blooded, flying spaghetti monster-given right.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
and in a shock to absolutely no one with a bit of sense

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/25/trumps-most-senior-staff-use-a-private-email-server/

Donald Trump's senior White House staff including Kellyanne Conway, Jared Kushner, Sean Spicer and Steve Bannon all use a private RNC email server, according to a Newsweek report published Wednesday. This is the same RNC email server that mysteriously disappeared 22 million messages during George W Bush's administration and the one that US intelligence services believe was compromised by the Russians at the same time as the DNC's, earlier this year.
does this make him crooked donny?

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
if you are poor and don't own a car it can be a bit hard to get places

this isn't rocket science, its basic logistics
And that has absolutely nothing to do with race.

If someone can get a ride to vote, then by the same logic they can get a ride to obtain a photo id.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
It's far more of an inconvenience to a certain demographic than to others.

But the larger point is that no investigation of voter fraud has ever found anything more than a negligible handful of cases. Trump's interpretation of the one study he continually cites in support of this nonsense has been debunked by the author of said study. It simply isn't a problem, but it's interesting to hear small-government types propose sweeping federal restrictions to correct an issue that doesn't exist. Personally, I'd consider any voting requirement that forces me to enter a DMV office to be an unjust obstacle to exercising my patriotic, red-blooded, flying spaghetti monster-given right.
How does one identify an illegal voter if voters (in some states) don't have to show identification?

I've never said anything about "sweeping federal restrictions."

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
if you are poor and don't own a car it can be a bit hard to get places

this isn't rocket science, its basic logistics
I wonder when the concept of carpooling, public transportation, riding DNC-rented buses, etc. will make it to these pitiful places.

It is surely inconvenient to be poor, but that is a choice a lot of people make.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
and in a shock to absolutely no one with a bit of sense

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/25/trumps-most-senior-staff-use-a-private-email-server/

does this make him crooked donny?
Makes them crooked as hell if they are using them to skirt oversight and should be shuttered regardless. But per usual, here's what is actually said in the original Newsweek article. Active account is not the same as actively using.

Senior Trump administration staffers including Kellyanne Conway, Jared Kushner, Sean Spicer and Steve Bannon have active accounts on a Republican National Committee email system,Newsweek has learned.
It’s not clear whether or how Trump staffers are using the RNC email addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.