The policy and politics of Trumpism - Page 8
Page 8 of 119 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151858108 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar

Re: The policy and politics of Trumpism

Here's some rational thought about foreign policy under Trump, including relations with Russia which seems to tightened many a sphincter around here:

http://www.realclearworld.com/articl...ne_112180.html

During the campaign for the American presidency, Donald Trump promised that in his administration only good things would happen. He was somewhat vague about what precisely was good and what was bad. In this, he was exactly like any other American presidential candidate. Unlike many, however, he provided some details of the specific issues that worried him, and a broader strategic vision. This vision was embedded in his unique rhetoric, but if we extract it, we have a clear roadmap. Trump’s rhetoric is a problem, but so is conventionally clear political rhetoric that clearly says nothing. I say this because I think that observers tend too readily to dismiss what he says. This is an attempt to decode it.
    Also, I posted a column somewhere around here that discusses how diplomacy works. Strangely enough, diplomacy revolves around...wait for it...relationships with others. I think I posted it in a Tillerson thread if anyone is interested in reading it.
    The Concord Blue Devils, 17-Time World Champions: 2015, 2014 (99.65), 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, & 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

“The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American CharminTide's Avatar

Will be interesting to see where this goes, but I doubt Trump will be able to settle his way out of this one.

NYT: Foreign Payments to Trump Firms Violate Constitution, Suit Will Claim

A team of prominent constitutional scholars, Supreme Court litigators and former White House ethics lawyers intends to file a lawsuit Monday morning alleging that President Trump is violating the Constitution by allowing his hotels and other business operations to accept payments from foreign governments.

The lawsuit is among a barrage of legal actions against the Trump administration that have been initiated or are being planned by major liberal advocacy organizations. Such suits are among the few outlets they have to challenge the administration now that Republicans are in control of the government.

In the new case, the lawyers argue that a provision in the Constitution known as the Emoluments Clause amounts to a ban on payments from foreign powers like the ones to Mr. Trump’s companies. They cite fears by the framers of the Constitution that United States officials could be corrupted by gifts or payments.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    Will be interesting to see where this goes, but I doubt Trump will be able to settle his way out of this one.

NYT: Foreign Payments to Trump Firms Violate Constitution, Suit Will Claim
    Chuckle, chuckle...I assume strict construction suits your needs now...along with an expansive interpretation of standing.
    Last edited by Tide1986; January 22nd, 2017 at 10:21 PM.
    The Concord Blue Devils, 17-Time World Champions: 2015, 2014 (99.65), 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, & 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

“The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    Chuckle, chuckle...I assume strict construction suits your needs now...along with an expansive interpretation of standing.
    Rare pic of 1986 chuckling:

There are men running governments who shouldn't be allowed to play with matches. Will Rogers

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    Let's not bring up Saudi's "contributions" to the Clinton campaign...but I digress.

BamaNation All-American bama_wayne1's Avatar

It was probably a snarky tweet from someone who was walking out the door, and I'm not defending it. But do you think it's a slight overreaction to silence the entire Department of the Interior because of one tweet made by a single individual employed by a relatively small service within said department?
    Well let's remember where this POTUS is coming form. He is a businessman. As I'm sure you know if you tweet, email, or publicly malign your boss in the "real world" you get fired and or your privileges are restricted. I think the government will run smoothly once people realize they have a boss.

BamaNation All-American CharminTide's Avatar

I wonder how many tax dollars this solution-looking-for-a-problem will cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Donald J. Trump
    I will be asking for a major investigation into VOTER FRAUD, including those registered to vote in two states, those who are illegal and even, those registered to vote who are dead (and many for a long time). Depending on results, we will strengthen up voting procedures!
    He's either just trying to back up his voter fraud lie with the facade of an investigation, or more worrying, it's an Orwellian excuse to further curb voting access.

He's either just trying to back up his voter fraud lie with the facade of an investigation, or more worrying, it's an Orwellian excuse to further curb voting access.
    c'mon, he's the boss, he sets the direction and tone. everyone else just needs to put on their big boy pants and follow along. he's a great leader, he just needs the whiny sjw's and media to shut up so he can do his job effectively
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by bama_wayne1 View Post
    Well let's remember where this POTUS is coming form. He is a businessman. As I'm sure you know if you tweet, email, or publicly malign your boss in the "real world" you get fired and or your privileges are restricted. I think the government will run smoothly once people realize they have a boss.
    president <> ceo.

and yes trump is a business man. he has made a fortune off of his name. his name is valuable in large part because he has spent the better part of the last 30-40 years making a fool of himself and cashing in on it (then he parlayed that into a reality tv show).
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

so what are the chances he re-hires alberto gonzales and monica goodling to head up this investigation

- George Orwell

— Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-American bama_wayne1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    president <> ceo.

and yes trump is a business man. he has made a fortune off of his name. his name is valuable in large part because he has spent the better part of the last 30-40 years making a fool of himself and cashing in on it (then he parlayed that into a reality tv show).
    Yes, I know that's your opinion. I even share some of that opinion. I also thought the same thing during the last 8 years when President Obama was signing orders like a CEO. Now the current POTUS is following suit. I wish it were different.

Quote Originally Posted by bama_wayne1 View Post
    Yes, I know that's your opinion. I even share some of that opinion. I also thought the same thing during the last 8 years when President Obama was signing orders like a CEO. Now the current POTUS is following suit. I wish it were different.
    the two are not remotely in the same universe.

i have to say that it honestly surprises me how many folks are just hand waving away what trump is doing (e.g. making an utter fool out of himself and our country) with "well, obama was the same way"

- George Orwell

— Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Voter ID cures a lot of this. I wonder why folks are opposed to it?