The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Yeah, attacking arts and culture for no purpose comes straight from Bannon's "I hate America" playbook. With every passing day, it becomes harder not to label anyone who still supports this man as a crazy hoodwinked fool.
You're just not down with the God Emperor Trump Facebook page that keeps getting shared by people I know to see how cool everything is going.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
When my BIL was the director of KSFC ( AU grad with an honorary doctorate) he attended at dinner in Mobile and was seated across from Sessions. At the time, he and my sister thought they would stay in FL (they didn't) and he is a rock-ribbed Republican. In our susequent conversation, he said "Ya'll have got a problem." (meaning Alabama) I asked what he meant by that. He went on to say that Sessions couldn't carry on an intelligent conversation - about anything. This was a bit out of character, because he is anything on earth but a judgmental person. He went on to relate some almost unbelievable inanities, which I won't go into here. His becoming AG of the country is, to me, incredible...
someone who worked in dc on the hill back in the late 90s told me that it was somewhat of a consensus that sessions was far and away the stupidest person on the hill.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
We can add one more casualty of the Trump administration. I found out tonight they are going to defund many support programs for the poor including "Meals on wheels". I have volunteered for this group and it is a great program. A large portion of the meals go to elderly folks who can't cook for themselves or come up a little short on funds for food. The best thing about the program is it gives a chance for a lot of lonely people to have someone to talk to. It's one of those programs that means a lot more to the volunteers than the recipients. I hope all you Trump supporters sleep well each night knowing our president is going to build up the defense budget that already has the firepower to destroy the earth many times. At least the elderly and hungry folks can be proud of all our shiny new planes and ships.
well, to be fair, meals on wheels was not in the constitution

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
We can add one more casualty of the Trump administration. I found out tonight they are going to defund many support programs for the poor including "Meals on wheels". I have volunteered for this group and it is a great program. A large portion of the meals go to elderly folks who can't cook for themselves or come up a little short on funds for food. The best thing about the program is it gives a chance for a lot of lonely people to have someone to talk to. It's one of those programs that means a lot more to the volunteers than the recipients. I hope all you Trump supporters sleep well each night knowing our president is going to build up the defense budget that already has the firepower to destroy the earth many times. At least the elderly and hungry folks can be proud of all our shiny new planes and ships.
I'm by no means an expert with respect to this topic, but it seems to me that the Trump administration has proposed a budget that would eliminate a community development block grant, which some localities choose to use to fund a local Meals on Wheels program. Congress must agree with the proposed elimination and factor it into the legislative process. Personally, I don't see Congress eliminating the block grant, and I assume some localities will continue to fund a Meals on Wheels program regardless of the presence or absence of a federal community development block grant...assuming of course the program is important to the localities.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We need to end Military Keynesianism. Direct most defense spending towards maintaining currently held assets (stop spending on iterative improvements on the same ol' stuff we've had since the cold war) and the rest should go to old school DARPA/NASA style blue sky academic research. Lets be real, we need to stop preparing for a war fought 60 years ago and spend more on academic research that could create the battlefield circumstances of the war 20, 40, 60 years from now.

The current military spending culture is nothing more than government subsidization of private business. We've went light on the research projects that gave us the internet and personal computer that started as defense minded productivity and communication projects. Huntsville people might hate hearing this but their city has become the perfect example of the sickness of our government spending mindset when it use to be a center for research it is now just another place where defense contractors line up and beg for beggin strips.

We must end explosive defense-based deficit spending. If we're going to spend on a deficit, lets do it for something meaningful. We could cut defense spending in half and still spend more than the next 10-20 countries. We're being sold that we don't need deficit spending on social welfare because Boeing and General Dynamics are doing SUCH IMPORTANT things to keep us safe. As far as I can tell, defense contracting just creates a handful of 100k+ jobs where the top guys keep the lionshare of the money so they can build a substandard product that was suppose to make things more efficient but actually ends up requiring the DoD to make new uniformed service job specialities starting at 30-35k a year to manage this product made by a team of 250k engineers.

I've been in the military, I've seen this especially on the signal/comms side of the defensive spending spectrum. But I see the signs of this within mechanic shops, human resources, chemical, etc too. This stuff is worse than the "welfare queen."

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Eventually they won't be able to go anywhere or do anything with all their boycotts. Hawaii got the boycott nod in the last day or so too.
Not even in the same hemisphere.... Most of Trump's base cannot remotely afford to go to Hawaii. But, they probably eat at McD's 3-5x/week. Burger King, Hardees, Wendy's, Whataburger, all just saw their stock prices rise.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Not even in the same hemisphere.... Most of Trump's base cannot remotely afford to go to Hawaii. But, they probably eat at McD's 3-5x/week. Burger King, Hardees, Wendy's, Whataburger, all just saw their stock prices rise.
How is it not in the same hemisphere when I'm talking about ALL of the calls to boycott from the Cult of Trump? Not just Hawaii. Budweiser, the Hamilton play, Starbucks, Basic Facts etc. etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.