Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
WaPo article from March 11, 2015:

Mexican kids held for months as punishment for border-crossing

Interesting how it was down played at that time juxtaposed to now.
did you read the article? It is about kids crossing on their own. Wildly different from what is happening now. Though I should add that doesn't mean I agree with what we were doing then either. But to try call it equivalent to pulling a baby out of a lactating mothers arms is more than a bit disingenuous

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Meh. I still think the Democrats were just as guilty when they pushed the most unpopular candidate in history to face Trump as the Trumpers voting for him.

Yes any sane person knows he is the most deplorable president in the last 200 years, but y’all really tried to shove Hillary down everyone’s throats. If the GOP is totally evil then the DNC is totally inept to make a rational decision to save our country from evil.

What the Democrats need to do is start positioning a guy/ gal for 2020 that us swing voters can get behind where we don’t have to pick who is the biggest NY moron on the ballot or write in our own moron to save sanity.
the folks that voted for trump and also continue to support him are the ones responsible for him. full stop.

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
First off: Evil or inept? I'll take inept every time.

On the second point: That those who nominated HRC and supported her losing campaign are as responsible for the immorality and evil now rampant in the WH as those who still support Trump now. Hogwash! I, for one, was never NEARLY so deep into politics as I have been since Trump was elected. I voted Democratic because most of the Republican candidates espoused policies with which I did not agree. I had no clear idea who Donald Trump was at his core; and I certainly discounted any idea that he could win. Since his election he has demonstrated very clearly that he is unfit to fill the office on grounds of mental stability, a disregard for the importance of truth, any minor acquaintance with the mechanics of governing in a democratic republic, an easy diagnosis of Narcissistic Personality Disorder, an obsession with enriching himself and his family by use of his political position, and criminal behavior with regard to his "charitable foundation" over a period of a decade or more. Because I supported a candidate who elicited such a mammoth amount of hate, mostly due, I believe, to inaccurate or false propaganda by right wing Republicans, does not make me immoral or evil. Uninformed, maybe. Naive, probably. Evil, uh uh.

Your write-in vote does not make you evil, or even uninformed. It was a valid choice; and particularly in Alabama, one that had no effect whatsoever on the outcome. I'm thinking that by the 2020 elections, Trump will be unemployed by the government, and Pence will not have captured the enthusiasm or support of enough Republicans to threaten the election of someone from the other party. I join with you in praying for the nomination of someone who recognizes the abandonment of the middle class, and who quietly (in the same way that Trump quietly championed it) denounces racism.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

I don't buy that you actually read that article...

She finally learned that he had been sent to a shelter in California. From there, he was allowed to talk to her by phone every night for 10 minutes. Oscar told his mother that the kids were grouped by risk or behavior — purple, yellow, green — and that some couldn’t leave the facility. Oscar was a purple, he told his mom, with the least restrictions. On one occasion, he got to go ice skating.
“It’s a type of punishment so they won’t cross as much,” his mother said. “For me, sincerely, it’s okay. It will discourage him from doing it again.”

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
did you read the article? It is about kids crossing on their own. Wildly different from what is happening now. Though I should add that doesn't mean I agree with what we were doing then either. But to try call it equivalent to pulling a baby out of a lactating mothers arms is more than a bit disingenuous
you must be new here. the memo has already gone out to the howler monkeys over the weekend that obama did the same thing but actually worse. that point is hereby fact.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
See this I'm ok with. And I mostly agree with. I just don't think we can conflate this feeling with that of the Democrats being responsible for Trump.
Do I hold Democrats responsible? No

Do I hold the DNC responsible? Somewhat

I’m just tired of everytime the Democrats lose it never fails that they blame the middle. The issue I’m having is now many are starting to say the folks that wrote in or just pull the trigger the other way are evil. But yet nothing is hardly said about the Bernie or busters or the minority voters that didn’t go to the booth.

It’s this “ We are the defenders of freedom and all that didn’t vote for our person is evil” narrative that is really annoying.

FWIW I voted for Doug Jones. So Y’all are welcome. ;)

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

I'm not sure if we were reading the same article, but I didn't get the impression that these juveniles were actually attempting to cross with their families. I got the impression that the children behind held were actually leading others across the border. I would be willing to say that this is a significant departure from actually separating minors from parents who are attempting to cross with their children as part of these groups.

However I can see how this article might be convenient to use to make it seem that what is happening right now is no different than what Obama did and that it is only because it is Trump that everyone is up in arms.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm not sure if we were reading the same article, but I didn't get the impression that these juveniles were actually attempting to cross with their families. I got the impression that the children behind held were actually leading others across the border. I would be willing to say that this is a significant departure from actually separating minors from parents who are attempting to cross with their children as part of these groups.

However I can see how this article might be convenient to use to make it seem that what is happening right now is no different than what Obama did and that it is only because it is Trump that everyone is up in arms.
it's not the content of the article that matters. it is the implication that "both sides do it"

many aren't going to read the article and just take it on faith because they just know that while the gop/trump are really bad, the democrats and obama were much worse.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

I’m just tired of everytime the Democrats lose it never fails that they blame the middle. The issue I’m having is now many are starting to say the folks that wrote in or just pull the trigger the other way are evil. But yet nothing is hardly said about the Bernie or busters or the minority voters that didn’t go to the booth.

It’s this “ We are the defenders of freedom and all that didn’t vote for our person is evil” narrative that is really annoying.

On the DNC issue. I have long surmised that HRC traded going quietly into the night in 2008 for the full might of the DNC in 2016.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
the folks that voted for trump and also continue to support him are the ones responsible for him. full stop.
While I agree with this, I really do not care whether Hillary was a bad candidate (because she was a terrible choice), but what happened, happened. Now in the present, there is only one entity to blame for its complicity with Trump, the Republican Party and the Republican controlled House and Senate. They are so afraid of Trump and his voting base they will turn a blind eye to the evil he has wrought on our country.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

well, i'm tired of the gop continually screwing up the country and blaming it on everyone except themselves. :)

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Just to be clear:

Bill preventing separation of immigrant children from families
backed by all Democratic senators, zero Republicans

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) said on Monday that he will back legislation to prevent the separation of immigrant families along the border, solidifying Democratic support for the bill.

Manchin's decision means all 49 members of the Democratic caucus, which includes independent Sens. Bernie Sanders (Vt.) and Angus King (Maine), are signing on to the legislation.

The legislation, spearheaded by Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein (Calif.), would only allow children to be separated from a parent if they are being abused, trafficked or if a court decides "it is in the best interests of the child."

No Republican senator has said they will support Feinstein's bill, which would need 60 votes to clear the Senate.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
It is disingenuous to claim that "children being locked in cages" is some how any different than "children being locked in cages".

The article reads as if the process is almost a positive (one even got their GED!) well except for the part about the cartels realizing the kids were turning informant.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
It is disingenuous to claim that "children being locked in cages" is some how any different than "children being locked in cages".

The article reads as if the process is almost a positive (one even got their GED!) well except for the part about the cartels realizing the kids were turning informant.
It's disingenuous to ignore context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.