The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Sorry, I see you listed smoking as well.

If you wish, feel free to suggest a word other than "charity" to describe someone getting public assistance without governmental involvement.
Dude, stop. If I meant "charity" I would have said it. Or I would have said "private help." Public help = government program. For cases like 92's daughter, if government help is necessary as a last resort, then I don't have a problem with it.

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Federal appeals court upholds block on Trump's travel ban

A federal appeals court has dealt another blow to President Donald Trump's executive order temporarily restricting travel from six Muslim-majority countries.

The 4th Circuit Court of Appeals on Thursday largely upheld a lower court ruling barring the administration from suspending visas from those countries. The Trump administration previously revised the executive order to better hold up to legal scrutiny than an earlier version did.

Trump has insisted that the measure is necessary to prevent possible terrorist attacks and protect national security. But opponents, and courts in previous rulings blocking its enforcement, have cited past statements from Trump and his advisors signaling that it may target Muslims.

The 4th Circuit ruling said it was "unconvinced" that the order "has more to do with national security than it does with effectuating the president's proposed Muslim ban."

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Grist for the mill ...... When the GOP gets trounced in the mid-terms, what are the odds of Trump just quitting the Oval Office? Just pouting, taking his ball, and going home. He may get bounced before then, but if there is no impeachment (and if I were the Dems I'd let that loose cannon continue to destroy the GOP brand) do you think Trump will just run away?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Grist for the mill ...... When the GOP gets trounced in the mid-terms, what are the odds of Trump just quitting the Oval Office? Just pouting, taking his ball, and going home. He may get bounced before then, but if there is no impeachment (and if I were the Dems I'd let that loose cannon continue to destroy the GOP brand) do you think Trump will just run away?
The Ghost Writer of Art of the Deal has been saying for weeks that he expects Trump to cite health and bail before long.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
As big as his ego is, I don't see him going the distance. Maybe he can go vacation where O'Reilly and Hannity went. Does Fox have a timeshare there?
It's a farm upstate, beautiful place where they get to play and frolic all day long. My childhood rescue mutt Sam went there when I was around 11 or 12

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Poverty is more closely tied to poor health than any other condition known to man. Period. You can't help being born poor. You can't help having an inability to learn. Are there people who choose poorly and end up poor? Yes. But many are born that way and stay that way through no to little fault of their own.

So before go dispense guilt-based medicine, let's consider that raising the standard of living through whatever means improves health FAR more than even ending smoking and obesity. Don't believe me? Look at the differences between outcomes in poor smokers vs rich ones.

I abhor the ideas and attitudes behind those types of expressions almost as much as I abhor the results. The fact that they take a grain of truth and turn it into a mountain of lies also bothers me. (by they I am referring to the ideas and attitudes)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Poverty is more closely tied to poor health than any other condition known to man. Period. You can't help being born poor. You can't help having an inability to learn. Are there people who choose poorly and end up poor? Yes. But many are born that way and stay that way through no to little fault of their own.

So before go dispense guilt-based medicine, let's consider that raising the standard of living through whatever means improves health FAR more than even ending smoking and obesity. Don't believe me? Look at the differences between outcomes in poor smokers vs rich ones.

I abhor the ideas and attitudes behind those types of expressions almost as much as I abhor the results. The fact that they take a grain of truth and turn it into a mountain of lies also bothers me. (by they I am referring to the ideas and attitudes)
Well said. In so many cases, poverty is an unbreakable cycle that begats poverty. Sad.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

A German coworker read your post over my shoulder, said you'd make a good German, and texted me this. ;)

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Oh, speaking of der Deutschland:

Trump reportedly told EU officials Germany is 'very evil'

President Trump on Thursday attended a meeting with European Union leaders in Brussels, where he apparently decided to air his grievances over Germany's trade surplus with the U.S. "The Germans are evil, very evil," Trump reportedly complained in the meeting, attendees told German newspaper Der Spiegel. "Look at the millions of cars they sell in the U.S. We'll stop that."

Der Spiegel reported that EU Commission leader Jean-Claude Juncker disagreed with Trump, defending the merits of free trade for the global economy. New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman notes that depending on the translation, Trump may have been calling the Germans merely "very bad" and not "very evil."

European Council President Donald Tusk acknowledged earlier Thursday that there had been some notable differences of opinion between EU leadership and the U.S. government, including on matters of climate politics, trade, and most openly, Russian relations. "I am not 100 percent sure that we can say today ... that we have a common position, common opinion, about Russia," Tusk said.
ISIS are merely "losers," but Germans are "evil." Got it.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
It's quite likely they will get rid of the voting rights act by then and be able to restrict the Democrat constituency .
I honestly don't see the voting rights of Americans, regardless of race, religion or sexual choice being taken away.

All corporate profit is theft.
A friend and I incorporated when we leased a convenience store. We sold the corporation, and it's still doing business. We worked 16 hrs a day 364 days a year. There was theft, but it usually was customers or employees.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are these truly heartfelt convictions, or hyperbole? Does being a staunch Democrat or republican mean you must believe this as fact or fiction? What if you're an independent that claims no special allegiance to either party?

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I've got to say I don't care if you're pro or con Trump that this is just plain embarrassing. What an absolute jerk. This is just a clown show.
A 5 second twitter clip is now the normal way to analyze and judge all important political decisions. We get closer to utopia each day.

Earlier I saw a picture that clearly proved he refused to shake hands.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
My wife has had breast cancer 4 times. She got in remission 3 times and is currently fighting metastasis to her bones. She is positive for the BRCA1 gene so I guess she's just unlucky.
My daughter also has had breast cancer and is currently in remission. She too has this gene mutation.

Both my daughter and wife have never smoked and try to eat a balanced diet. My wife weighs 124LBS.and has never had a weight problem and my daughter weighs 109.

My point is neither of them had anything to do with getting this disease, as far as lifestyle is concerned. They just have a bad gene pool. To say that cancer is caused by lifestyle or diet just isn't totally true. Of course smoking can cause cancer, we all know that. Do you deride the lung cancer patient for smoking? Trust me I would imagine they feel plenty of guilt on their own.

I've never been poor and have never lived on food stamps or as the right calls it government hand outs. Just because some has and gets sick, is it their fault? Some of these poor people aren't worried about eating a healthy diet, they just want to feed their family period.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
You probably didn't even need a 0-second clip because you'd have to make something up in your mind to come up with the nefarious jerk version of Obama that many conservatives believed actually existed in reality.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
You probably didn't even need a 0-second clip because you'd have to make something up in your mind to come up with the nefarious jerk version of Obama that many conservatives believed actually existed in reality.
Vacuous Ken doll, nefarious jerk...either description of Obama is quite accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.