The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
the opportunity to make the "smart play" ended months ago.
lol, Yah. Smart play relative to their current situation. Just because throwing out common sense worked early doesn't mean it's going to keep working.

"Sure, go ahead and run the jet sweep again despite it being 4th and 25. Worked 2 drives ago, I'm sure it'll work again." Boom. Kiffin joke in NS.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
If what you say is true then, to me, that means that he knows Mueller will absolutely find something incriminating and he'd rather do political battle with his own party and the media rather than stare down the barrel of hard evidence.
Even if he was mildly confident that he would be able to distance himself from any evidence turned up (e.g. implicating his associates but not him) the smarter play would be to let things run their course with the investigation. The only way firing Mueller is the better play is if there is inherently LESS risk in that move - which in turn makes it all the more damning.
Yup, that's the subtext. I see two options to explain his behavior:
1) Exactly what you said: Trump is convinced that Mueller will find evidence that somehow incriminates him.
2) He's solely worried about protecting his children and financial empire, no matter how his actions are perceived. Recent news implicating his children and reports of Mueller looking into his finances have him concerned about repercussions for his family and his brand image.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I actually firmly believe that if he fires Mueller it will mark the true beginning of the end. NOTHING will get accomplished until the Russian fiasco goes away and firing Mueller is a sure-fire way to make sure that it NEVER goes away. I'm not sure the Republicans in Congress will stand for it. They have more to gain from throwing Trump under the bus at this point than standing behind him. Their choices are to clear the Russia debacle or clear Trump out of the way. Whichever is easiest at the time. IF Trump fires Mueller he will be easier to dispatch than the Russian debacle and they can pivot and hang it from his neck like a millstone. But if Trump and Congress allow Mueller to do his work and Mueller comes back and torches some of Trump's staff or confidants but not the Don himself, that'll likely be the end of it and Congress can shift their weight behind Trump.
That's my take at least.
Honestly at least some of the Republican upper leadership is in on the Russian stuff in my opinion - at the very least stood by and watched it happen while doing nothing - which is why they've tried so hard to bury the investigations and pretend nothing is going on. This ultimately I believe is why they've stood by this raging fool for as long as they have.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Honestly at least some of the Republican upper leadership is in on the Russian stuff in my opinion - at the very least stood by and watched it happen while doing nothing - which is why they've tried so hard to bury the investigations and pretend nothing is going on. This ultimately I believe is why they've stood by this raging fool for as long as they have.
you might be on to something there

“There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” said Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy. “No leaks … This is how we know we’re a real family here,” replied House Speaker Paul Ryan.
http://www.businessinsider.com/dana-rohrabacher-russia-sanctions-magnitsky-2017-7

A new complaint filed with the Treasury's Office of Foreign Asset Control alleges that California Rep. Dana Rohrabacher and his staff director, Paul Behrends, violated the Magnitsky Act when they tried to get Russia's deputy general prosecutor, Victor Grin, removed from the US sanctions list last year.

The complaint was filed by US financier Bill Browder, the founder of Hermitage Capital Management, who spearheaded the Magnitsky Act in 2012 to punish Russian officials suspected of being involved in the death of his accountant, Sergey Magnitsky.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Potentially.
I'd also add that it would be wise not to underestimate the intoxication of power. It could literally be as simple as trying to bludgeon the Left no matter the charge levied against them. Obama really whipped the Right into a later. Sometime with good reason, but eventually it just became outrage tactics. Now, I think, in some perverted way the Right is simply doing what the perceived Obama to be doing during his time in office. Who knows?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
subpoena issued to Manafort

http://www.thedailybeast.com/senators-subpoenas-paul-manafort

The Senate Judiciary Committee on Monday night issued a subpoena to compel Trump campaign chief Paul Manafort’s presence at a public hearing Wednesday. “Mr. Manafort, through his attorney, said that he would be willing to provide only a single transcribed interview to Congress, which would not be available to the Judiciary Committee members or staff,” Senators Chuck Grassley and Dianne Feinstein said in a statement. Lawyers for Manafort had been negotiating to prevent him from testifying in public, but those talks appear to have broken down. Grassley and Feinstein said Manafort could still skirt a public hearing “if he would be willing to agree to production of documents and a transcribed interview.”

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
As is the unwavering hatred toward him.
Reb, I wouldn't characterize my opinion about Trump as hate. I am a committed Christian, and I don't hate. The attention he gets from the media concerning the Russia investigation and his management style are almost universally self-inflicted. He has trashed his intelligence sources, his justice department, the judiciary, his own Republican congressmen, and made personal attacks on the principal actors overseeing an investigation into his possible criminal activity. He has fired the head of the FBI who headed that investigation, bringing about the appointment of a special prosecutor. Now he is doing his best to remove the top law enforcement officer in the country, as well as his assistant and the new head of the FBI, all with the obvious intent of compromising that investigation. If you don't believe that these things are newsworthy, what on earth would be newsworthy? You and other apologists for this seemingly deranged individual characterize the media as hating Trump. If you truly believe that, you are then seconding his stated opinion that 17 intelligence agencies have made up this entire issue of Russian meddling in our most revered act of democracy. Made it up out of whole cloth! It's a witch hunt and fake news! I don't know that Trump is guilty of 'high crimes and misdemeanors" but unless you are willing (I am not) to accept the idea that the words out of Donald Trumps mouth are the only source of truth in America and the world, then you must understand that these matters need to be investigated and the American people informed of their truth or falsity.

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Well lets see how bad the GOP can screw up healthcare without a plan to actually fix anything. All I can say is who will all the poor and old Republican voters blame for unaffordable healthcare after this? That still Obama's fault too?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Well lets see how bad the GOP can screw up healthcare without a plan to actually fix anything. All I can say is who will all the poor and old Republican voters blame for unaffordable healthcare after this? That still Obama's fault too?
absolutely. the insurance market has been screwed up for the past 17 years because of obama.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
"But both parties are the same."
well grandpa mcmaverick said that it's time for the partisanship to end. (after flying back on the taxpayer dime, after his taxpayer covered brain surgery, collecting his paycheck from the taxpayers, while casting the 50th vote to try once again to repeal the policy of "that one" that beat him 8 years ago.)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
lol, Yah. Smart play relative to their current situation. Just because throwing out common sense worked early doesn't mean it's going to keep working.

"Sure, go ahead and run the jet sweep again despite it being 4th and 25. Worked 2 drives ago, I'm sure it'll work again." Boom. Kiffin joke in NS.
Welcome to Amerika run as an unreality show...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Hatred? Ha! He's beneath it. Disgust and contempt, yes, same as I had for him 20 years ago...
oh come on Earl I bet if you really though about it that hate would go back further than 20 years. Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous premiered more than 40 years ago. That's where I started to hate him

EDIT: Sorry 33 years ago, that moronic show came out in 1984

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
oh come on Earl I bet if you really though about it that hate would go back further than 20 years. Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous premiered more than 40 years ago. That's where I started to hate him
Well, he was just a somewhat stupid goon then. Now, he's a somewhat stupid goon in charge of the nuclear football, being advised by a Svengali who's trying to help him figure out the steps to becoming a dictator...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.