The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I wonder if the passengers had to show their papers to board the plane to begin with.
Good question. I haven't flown in years so I don't know how all that works. Can we legally refuse to show our papers to CPB on a domestic flight? Would you refuse 1986? I would probably show ID just to avoid a big hassle.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Fox News: Wash. Post Stands by 9-Source Russia Story After Trump Calls It 'Fake News'

The Washington Post said Friday it stands behind a story which was denounced by President Donald Trump as "fake news."

In his address to CPAC this morning, Trump continued his assault on the mainstream media and said that "fake news" is the enemy of the people.

He singled out a Feb. 9 Washington Post story in which nine current or former officials confirmed that then-National security adviser Michael Flynn had privately discussed U.S. sanctions against Russia with the country’s ambassador before Trump took office.

"I saw one story recently where they said 'nine people have confirmed.' There are no nine people. ... I said give me a break. I know the people. I know who they talk to," said Trump, later adding that the media should not be allowed to use unnamed sources.

In a statement after the speech, Washington Post Executive Editor Marty Baron said "everything we published regarding Gen. Flynn was true, as confirmed by subsequent events and on-the-record statements from administration officials themselves."

"The story led directly to the general’s dismissal as national security adviser. Calling press reports fake doesn’t make them so," he added.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
i can't figure out if someone pulled an epic troll job on the rubes, or if someone did this purposefully. poe's law and all of that ;)
maybe it was this guy?
NATIONAL HARBOR, MARYLAND—"We love Trump!" a man yelled at a news camera in a thick Russian accent. "Russians love Trump, because we love Putin!"

The president had just finished his keynote speech at CPAC, and the multitudes were filing into the sun-drenched hall outside. It was packed—like the stadium ramps when you stay for the ninth inning—and the crowd moved slowly down the corridor. Reporters sought out anyone wearing a token red hat. And behind them, as he walked on pace with the crowd, a man holding a Russian flag with a golden "TRUMP" embossed through the middle stripe got to photobombing.

"Trump is a great leader like Putin in Russia!" he shouted at the camera lens. "That's why Putin pick him to be our leader, too!" Once he was shooed away from his fourth or fifth camera, he took a break—and a phone call. He dropped the accent.

Why was he at CPAC?

"Because Trump great man, very strong, he build great wall, put people in cage, kill the journalists he don't like," he said, instantly re-upping the accent. "Be careful—make sure you say the nice things about the Trump, because in Russia, with Putin, we just kill journalists that say things that are bad about Putin. That way we have country all to ourselves. We don't need no journalists or fake news over there. That's why we come here." As we kept walking, he kept holding the flag high—and photobombing.
http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a53414/cpac-russia-trump-protest/

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/24/media/cnn-blocked-white-house-gaggle/

this is messed up

CNN and other news outlets were blocked Friday from an off-camera White House press briefing, raising alarm among media organizations and First Amendment watchdogs.
The New York Times, the Los Angeles Times and Politico were also excluded from the meeting, which is known as a gaggle and is less formal than the televised Q-and-A session in the White House briefing room. The gaggle was held by White House press secretary Sean Spicer.
In a brief statement defending the move, administration spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said the White House "had the pool there so everyone would be represented and get an update from us today."

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
"Should not be allowed to use unnamed sources" says the guy that daily spews garbage as facts and then claims he "was just given that information" or "saw it somewhere."
It seems pretty clear that he dislikes unnamed sources because they're harder to find and silence.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
this is messed up
AP, Time skip WH briefing after other news outlets excluded

Time magazine and The Associated Press refused to attend a press "gaggle" with White House press secretary Sean Spicer on Friday, which several news outlets were blocked from attending.

Spicer held a smaller question-and-answer session in his office in lieu of a traditional press briefing on Friday, because President Trump spoke earlier in the day at the Conservative Political Action Conference.

But several high-profile news outlets were excluded from attending the gaggle, including The New York Times, The Hill and Politico, among others. The AP and Time were both permitted to attend but refused to do so.

While many mainstream news organizations were blocked from the Q-and-A session, some conservative outlets were allowed in, including Breitbart and the Washington Times.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Mystery solved

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/02/false-flag-operation-at-cpac/517842/

unaware morons

Two men made trouble—and stirred up a social-media frenzy—on the third day of the Conservative Political Action Conference by conducting a literal false-flag operation.

When Does Contact Between the FBI and the White House Cross the Line?

Jason Charter, 22, and Ryan Clayton, 36, passed out roughly 1,000 red, white, and blue flags, each bearing a gold-emblazoned “TRUMP” in the center, to an auditorium full of attendees waiting for President Trump to address the conference. Audience members waved the pennants—and took pictures with them—until CPAC staffers realized the trick: They were Russian flags.

The stunt made waves on social media, as journalists covering CPAC noticed the scramble to confiscate the insignia.

and I love the final quote

“Remember,” Clayton added, still committed to the fake accent, “In Trump’s America, flag wave you!”

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
to my count this this the third different Fox News person to object to the press treatment by the trump org

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...white-house-for-barring-outlets-from-briefing
Correct me if I am wrong but Fox uses the tag line Fair and Balanced reporting. So why is it important that Fox disagreed with the White House position. I dont understand the importance of this , they are all news media people. Oh I see they left out the Clinton News Network. My bad.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Good question. I haven't flown in years so I don't know how all that works. Can we legally refuse to show our papers to CPB on a domestic flight? Would you refuse 1986? I would probably show ID just to avoid a big hassle.
I flew last week and showed my passport. I wonder if doing so, along with the screening process, violates the freedom of movement and is thus somehow authoritarian in nature.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm in general agreement with you but for one pedantic point.....

. He has discredited the press to such a degree amongst his supporters that he could probably drop trou and take a dump on the desk in the Oval Office and half of America would say it was fake news.
I'm sorry, but this won't fly. Trump didn't discredit the press - the press is responsible for it's OWN discrediting. Trump isn't THAT powerful.

In 1976 - right after Watergate - the press in this country had its highest trustworthiness rating ever of 72%. A gradual decline took place as Gallup (perhaps the most reputable pollster long-term) recorded.

Trump wasn't running for President in 2007, so blaming him for the decline in press trustworthiness is absurd. Sure, he's attacked the press. So did Reagan. So did Bush 41. So did Clinton. Pretty much every President you can name has blamed the press for one of his failures.

What's different now? Simple - while folks knew before that the majority of the press folks were or had worked for the Democrats, there was something of a conscious effort of most of the media to TRY to at least present the illusion of impartiality if not actually attempt to do it.

For all the whining about Fox News - and yes, they indisputably 'lean right' save for Shephard Smith - it simply cannot compare to the combined efforts of 'let's not even pretend anymore' that CNN and especially NBC have been doing now for years. The late Tim Russert was a Democrat but anyone who ever watched him bulldog whoever came on that show would never have known it. I watched him slice Howard Dean to ribbons on June 22, 2003 - my first encounter with Mr Scream. Absolutely folded him up and mailed him home. He also destroyed phony mourner Aaron Broussard as a fraud in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, and Broussard went to the slammer for 46 months. Russert might have worked for Mario Cuomo, but he nailed Rs and Ds alike equitably.

But imagine for even a second a commentator who provided actual political coverage (not just a columnist type) in 1968 saying a candidate gave him 'a tingle' up his leg. Or the former anchor of the same network getting Tingles and his trusty sidekick Olbermann banished from Convention coverage in 2008. Or an anchor actually conspiring with the Democratic campaign to try and destroy a Presidential campaign with forged documents so obviously flawed that bloggers on the Net knew it within minutes.

They've gotten a problem and it's not just among the 5% of fringe wackos of the right or 'just' conservatives - the simple truth is that the press has spent far too long making up or exaggerating stories and now - thanks to social media - they can't get away with it anymore.

NBC made up a story in 1993 about GM trucks exploding on impact.
ABC exaggerated and 'staged' how they found out about Robert Tilton's shenanigans although their report was basically true
CNN claimed that the US government gassed deserters in Vietnam and had to backtrack.
WaPo lost a Pulitzer over a crack baby story of a figment of a journalist's imagination.
Dan Rather somehow managed to get into it with Nixon and both Bushes.

And then you have other things that make folks realize that the press doesn't investigate stuff if it doesn't fit their carefully packaged agenda.

It was NBC - not Trump - who cleverly edited a 911 tape to make George Zimmerman look like a racist.
It was CNN - not Trump - who made the erroneous claim that Zimmerman made the racial slur raccoons.
It was the press as a whole - not Trump - who suddenly decided to call Zimmerman a 'white Hispanic' and frame it as a black/white narrative.
It was the press - not Trump - who circulated the cute little picture of Trayvon pre-puberty to make it look like a vicious evil guy had whacked a tiny little child....rather than the truth that's in the forensics that can be read online that shows that Trayvon attacked Zimmerman and got shot.

(Note: NONE of this needs to be taken as ANY defense of Zimmerman - let's be mature here).

And the problem is that this slanting of stories is incredibly rampant.

The networks miscalled the 1996 NH Senate race for Democrat Dick Swett (I know, I'm laughing, too).....only to find out that Robert Smith had won and get it right hours later.

the networks themselves now were conceding something--that their early projection of Democrat Dick Swett unseating GOP Sen. Robert C. Smith in New Hampshire was, well, a bit hasty. Now they were saying the race was too close to call

They managed to blow the Presidential election of 2000 TWICE in a matter of less than five hours.

They managed - despite these stumbles - to think the so-called exit polls showing Kerry winning in 2004 were ex cathedra statements from a pope...

(And one doesn't have to be any stripe of partisan to ask - "how in the hell is it you folks can only miss it in ONE direction with your projections?" There was actually an anomaly that caused the Florida problem in 2000....more than one to be honest).

The press told us Michael Brown said "hands up don't shoot." WHY? Because that's what they WANTED to believe. It's what they wanted everyone else to believe. Why else report something that was nothing more than hearsay evidence from an ALLEGED eyewitness in the first place?

And then came Election Night 2016 when the truth came out about the press right there with everyone watching. You had that African-American imbecile on CNN (don't know his name nor do I care - Van Jones maybe?) who lashed out with "this is WHITElash!" You had that bozo girl on ABC literally bawling her eyes out on live TV.....a supposedly impartial journalist. But the TRUTH came out live and in color from a group of people who consistently tell us their job is to tell us the impartial truth but don't have the ability to do that. Remember - Miss Crying Fit on TV was SUPPOSEDLY an IMPARTIAL debate moderator!!!

Anyone with a brain believe that now?

Or the infamous Candy Crowley making Mitt Romney (whom I also did not vote for) look like a lying gas bag when he was - in fact - RIGHT, which she admitted later but without all the millions who saw her dress him down on national TV seeing it.

Oh - and then the Donna Brazile report came out - how a CNN person with a long history in Democratic politics was actually setting it up with one of the campaigns. Anyone wanna buy that Brazile was impartial?

I could go on and on but the point is made: there simply is no impartial press anymore. Their credibility is gone, and it ain't ever coming back thanks to the Internet - because it's now easy for anyone to pull up where someone in the media was shameless.

And you know what? That neither endorses NOR absolve Trump of anything. It's just something anyone with open eyes can see. I can understand why someone can get a story wrong. Mistakes are made. My brother - the news producer - says covering the Boston Marathon bombing was the worst day of his life because he was a 26-year old Southerner in a Northern city having to squelch the tendency of his subordinates to want to run with something because they saw it on Twitter. (Yes, I'm serious). His biggest nightmare was that when the pictures of the bombers came out, Christians from the Middle East with so-called Arab names were being harassed incessantly....oh, and they listed one guy as a suspect who was found floating in the Providence River the next week (he had disappeared a month earlier).

Mistakes occur - that's one thing.

But nowadays their only 'mistake' is getting caught at the spin. Now, I saw a poll (before one of you is tempted to put it here) that said that folks believe the media more than they do Trump. Of course.

But so what? Trump won't be running on a ballot against 'the media' ever. It's binary in outcome. Folks don't believe much of what politicians say anyway. The bottom line is that the press - and only the press - is to blame for the fact nobody trusts them. This is a group of folks who couldn't even figure out John Edwards had a love child while the tabloids did. The 'responsible press' isn't who exposed the Reggie Bush case, either.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The press needs to be glad on this one, though.

The man is still a colossal idiot. He could simply let them there, let those who are going to boycott the WPC dinner upcoming do it - and explain it on Twitter. He will instead turn the public into "what have you got to hide" - and then we have taxes, etc.

He may be President, but that doesn't in and of itself make him smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.