The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Well, there's the first crack in the facade, the first time he hasn't played strictly to his base, dealing with the Democrats on the debt ceiling. What next? :conf3:
He made a deal with Dems in 5 minutes. He's yet to make any significant deal with the GOP in 8 months. If I were Ryan or McConnell, I'd be extremely worried. Trump cares about popularity, praise, and signing things. On issues like healthcare, taxes, and infrastructure, Dem proposals are far more popular than the GOP alternatives, Schumer is apparently willing to kiss Trump's feet, and Dems can actually get bills passed. It'll be extremely interesting if he uses this negotiation as a template for future deals.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
After months of preparation, this is the best they can do?

Trump Jr. Says He Wanted Russian Dirt to Determine Clinton’s ‘Fitness’ for Office

Donald Trump Jr. told Senate investigators on Thursday that he set up a June 2016 meeting with a Russian lawyer because he was intrigued that she might have damaging information about Hillary Clinton, saying it was important to learn about Mrs. Clinton’s “fitness” to be president.

Despite his interest, he said, he always intended to consult with his own lawyers about the propriety of using any information that Ms. Veselnitskaya, who has ties to the Kremlin, gave him at the meeting.

The acknowledgment by the president’s eldest son that he intended to seek legal counsel after the meeting suggests that he knew, or at least suspected, that accepting potentially damaging information about a rival campaign from a foreign country raised thorny legal issues.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
In related news, Rush is on the radio claiming that weather reports about Irma are fake news that exaggerates the danger in a vast conspiracy to get people in the path of the storm to buy large amounts of batteries and bottled water. And Alex Jones is openly speculating that Hurricane Harvey was, in fact, created by the U.S. government to promote a liberal agenda. So refreshing to know that our president actually listens to these people.
Link: I honestly can't make up this Scheiße
Rush may change his tune if Irma hits his home in West Palm Beach.

And Alex Jones is basically a pile of marginally sentient excrement.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He made a deal with Dems in 5 minutes. He's yet to make any significant deal with the GOP in 8 months. If I were Ryan or McConnell, I'd be extremely worried. Trump cares about popularity, praise, and signing things. On issues like healthcare, taxes, and infrastructure, Dem proposals are far more popular than the GOP alternatives, Schumer is apparently willing to kiss Trump's feet, and Dems can actually get bills passed. It'll be extremely interesting if he uses this negotiation as a template for future deals.
Rethinking it, they all left the room with something they wanted/needed, including the Republicans, who can blame it on Trump for cover...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
What you're listing right here is exactly why even if he WAS qualified to be President, I never would have voted for him.

Of course, the Democrats have to actually put aside their grudges long enough to seize the opportunity, and this is a group that as long as I can remember has been far worse than the Republicans about going after and retaliating over useless political grudges.

I did wonder, however, when Schumer (who is by no means stupid) would figure out that you court Trump by flattering him with words about how great he is.

I thought Bill Clinton's election would do long-term damage to the Democrats, and I was right. I've thought from the day he announced that Trump's potential to do long-term damage to the Republicans was exponentially more of a problem for them.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Rush may change his tune if Irma hits his home in West Palm Beach.
50 points for JT.

Limbaugh evacuates South Florida after claiming Hurricane Irma was a liberal hoax

Rush Limbaugh will be evacuating South Florida, just days after the popular conservative radio host claimed that Hurricane Irma would not hit the United States and that scientists and the liberal media were hyping up the hurricane as proof of their global warming “lie.”

“May as well… announce this. I’m not going to get into details because of the security nature of things, but it turns out that we will not be able to do the program here tomorrow,” Limbaugh said Thursday. “We’ll be on the air next week, folks, from parts unknown.”

Limbaugh said the show will be back on the air Monday, but to be on the air Friday would be “legally impossible” for them do to the show out of South Florida.

Limbaugh did not recant his earlier statements about Irma, and he did not encourage his listeners in the area to evacuate. In fact, Limbaugh seemed to even double down on his earlier views.

“The views expressed by the host of this program [are] documented to be almost always right 99.8 percent of the time,” Limbaugh said right before announcing he would be leaving South Florida for parts unknown. “There is a reason for that because we engage in a relentless and unstoppable pursuit of the truth and we find and proclaim it and that happens to drive people crazy.”

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Assuming Shumer is telling the truth (I know), his remarks were very telling. He said that Trump called him and told him that Fox News was praising him and that "your stations" (MSNBC, etc.) were praising Trump. He then said "This is great!" :D

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Assuming Shumer is telling the truth (I know), his remarks were very telling. He said that Trump called him and told him that Fox News was praising him and that "your stations" (MSNBC, etc.) were praising Trump. He then said "This is great!" :D
Surely the POTUS is above being influenced by that sort of gratuitous flattery.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Bannon on Russia

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-on-russia-is-telling/?utm_term=.1ace1a88a0bb

Stephen K. Bannon labeled the Russia investigation a “farce” and a “waste of time” during his interview with “60 Minutes” this weekend. But those strong words papered over what was otherwise a pretty nervous and nonsensical defense of President Trump on Russia.

If you watch the video above, you'll see Bannon repeatedly stumble over his answers to Charlie Rose's questions. Bannon echoed the Trump White House's long-running strategy of deflecting on Russia, responding to questions about whether there was interference by saying there was no collusion and that it didn't have an impact. Both times Bannon tried this, though, Rose called him out for not answering the question.

And by the end of the segment, Bannon offered perhaps his most illogical argument of the entire interview, suggesting that Trump didn't more directly criticize Russia because he doesn't want to pick a fight (!). This is a president, of course, who picks fights with pretty much everyone — up to and including members of his own party, his own staff, and powerful and adversarial countries like China.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
AP: Schumer, Pelosi announce deal with Trump [on DACA] to protect young immigrants; will include border security, but no wall.

Aides familiar with the exchange said that Trump and the party leaders agreed to move quickly on legislation to protect the roughly 690,000 people protected under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, program that is set to expire in June.

In a statement, Schumer and Pelosi said they had “a very productive meeting at the White House with the President. The discussion focused on DACA. We agreed to enshrine the protections of DACA into law quickly, and to work out a package of border security, excluding the wall, that’s acceptable to both sides.”
Link

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.