The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
anyone else find it hysterical that the GOP and the Trump team is freaking out over what Mueller can and can't look into?

This is a group that started an investigation into a shady land deal and then and then ended up impeaching Clinton on a blowie with an intern. Suddenly now there should be defined boundaries?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Sessions discussed Trump campaign-related matters with Russian ambassador, U.S. intelligence intercepts show

Russia’s ambassador to Washington told his superiors in Moscow that he discussed campaign-related matters, including policy issues important to Moscow, with Jeff Sessions during the 2016 presidential race, contrary to public assertions by the embattled attorney general, according to current and former U.S. officials.

Ambassador Sergey Kislyak’s accounts of two conversations with Sessions — then a top foreign policy adviser to Republican candidate Donald Trump — were intercepted by U.S. spy agencies, which monitor the communications of senior Russian officials both in the United States and in Russia. Sessions initially failed to disclose his contacts with Kislyak and then said that the meetings were not about the Trump campaign.

One U.S. official said that Sessions — who testified that he has no recollection of an April encounter — has provided “misleading” statements that are “contradicted by other evidence.” A former official said that the intelligence indicates that Sessions and Kislyak had “substantive” discussions on matters including Trump’s positions on Russia-related issues and prospects for U.S.-Russia relations in a Trump administration.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
anyone else find it hysterical that the GOP and the Trump team is freaking out over what Mueller can and can't look into?

This is a group that started an investigation into a shady land deal and then and then ended up impeaching Clinton on a blowie with an intern. Suddenly now there should be defined boundaries?
Yes and no. I agree with your basic point but it doesn't apply because the Independent Counsel law expired in 1999 and was never renewed. We knew the parameters before but my understanding is we don't now. Not for sure anyway.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
So...does Jefferson last the weekend?
Doubtful, unless he finally located his misplaced spine full of patriotism. It kind of makes sense now. Trump talks about how bad Sessions is, knowing this is about to drop. With this now out, and Sessions resigns, then Trump can recess appoint a new head of DOJ that isn't recused that would be able to fire Mueller.

And I think I'm going to just start appending this on everything I write about Trump.

38% of Americans would find nothing wrong with this scenario, and think it's perfectly allright considering he is fighting the left, MSM, and Washington singlehandedly.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

You may find it hard to convince people the Clinton stuff is still relevant. My entire generation was still in school when that happened.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Doubtful, unless he finally located his misplaced spine full of patriotism. It kind of makes sense now. Trump talks about how bad Sessions is, knowing this is about to drop. With this now out, and Sessions resigns, then Trump can recess appoint a new head of DOJ that isn't recused that would be able to fire Mueller.

And I think I'm going to just start appending this on everything I write about Trump.

38% of Americans would find nothing wrong with this scenario, and think it's perfectly allright considering he is fighting the left, MSM, and Washington singlehandedly.
Think you pretty much nailed it. I'd hope that the firing of Mueller is enough to kick some innate patriotism in some GOPers but I've pretty much lost all hope for that crowd

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm older and I had lost faith that, with Nixon's machinations, there were enough moral men left in Congress to do justice. I'm not talking about Republicans. There were enough Democrats who were not certainties to vote their consciences. Of course, in the end, they never had to. I've not given up hope on this...

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
yes

if he had any integrity at all he would have done this months ago, same goes for Huckabees kid
I totally agree with this. I really hate to see anyone lose their job, but this guy sold his soul to defend Trump's lies. He lost what ever measure of integrity he had.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You may find it hard to convince people the Clinton stuff is still relevant. My entire generation was still in school when that happened.
That's something else to be considered.

For example, Earle mentioned Nixon when he and I were talking about this elsewhere. But even at my age, I have virtually no recollection of Nixon other than remembering my Mom being upset the soap operas weren't on because of the Watergate hearings.

To give you an idea: my son who is just now old enough to vote......I was in his hospital room when the news announced that the House was going to vote on articles of impeachment by the end of that week (he was born on Tuesday, December 15, 1998).

I think part of the reason we so easily recall Clinton is because, well, they're still on the scene.

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
Well, those of us who remember Watergate as if it were last year, are all aware that today is Saturday...

Heads up, Mr. Sessions! Your choice between party and country is about to be tested. You are the top law enforcement officer in the nation. You represent Americans: not Republican Americans, not Trump-loyal Americans. ALL Americans! You have sworn to uphold the constitution of the United States. That is where your loyalty belongs. Grow some spine!!!

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Well, those of us who remember Watergate as if it were last year, are all aware that today is Saturday...

Heads up, Mr. Sessions! Your choice between party and country is about to be tested. You are the top law enforcement officer in the nation. You represent Americans: not Republican Americans, not Trump-loyal Americans. ALL Americans! You have sworn to uphold the constitution of the United States. That is where your loyalty belongs. Grow some spine!!!
he made that choice a long time ago

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.