The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I haven't seen the rest of what Trump said in the tirade about kneeling. He said to get up and walk out of it bothers you and then bashed referees. With the tv ratings tanking, if more people start turning the NFL off and stop buying tickets, then owners are going to get hit hard in the pocket.
Viewership is down this year as well.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Last edited:

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Maybe, but I think it will provide extra lift to his approval ratings. A sizable number of Americans do not appreciate the disrespect shown by NFL players. Goodell himself is being completely tone deaf when he speaks of unity in our country and our culture but then promotes disrespect of our country and the tradition of standing during the National Anthem.
Trump is, as usual, behaving ridiculously. However I think you have a point here; people just can't seem to stop underestimating Trump's ability to read weaknesses in his targets. People are forgetting that the kneeling started specifically by Kap as a protest against police. The shooting of black men by police. I am very concerned with the police violence and I have a degree of sympathy for those protests, but Kap was also bashing police in general as pigs. This is over the top and put his otherwise serious protest into a very bad light. And if the country is divided between extremes -- those supporting cops who are more violent than they should be versus those calling all cops pigs, people are going to reject calling cops pigs. Trump just has to wait for the next event to set the extremes into hostility and he is going to be on the side he wants to be on. That is his "genius", if you forgive using that word in respect to our divider in chief. He knows how to position himself to exploit extremes.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Trump is, as usual, behaving ridiculously. However I think you have a point here; people just can't seem to stop underestimating Trump's ability to read weaknesses in his targets. People are forgetting that the kneeling started specifically by Kap as a protest against police. The shooting of black men by police. I am very concerned with the police violence and I have a degree of sympathy for those protests, but Kap was also bashing police in general as pigs. This is over the top and put his otherwise serious protest into a very bad light.
Kap's MUCH bigger problem was out of one side of his mouth whining about oppression and out the other....wearing a Fidel Castro shirt (speaking of oppression)......

THAT was his bigger problem.

And if the country is divided between extremes -- those supporting cops who are more violent than they should be versus those calling all cops pigs, people are going to reject calling cops pigs. Trump just has to wait for the next event to set the extremes into hostility and he is going to be on the side he wants to be on. That is his "genius", if you forgive using that word in respect to our divider in chief. He knows how to position himself to exploit extremes.
Rich Lowry, the NR conservative (and a responsible one), pointed out basically what you're saying here yesterday....and Trump ratchets up the volume from 1 to 10 instantaneously.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
POTUS said:
If NFL fans refuse to go to games until players stop disrespecting our Flag & Country, you will see change take place fast. Fire or suspend! NFL attendance and ratings are WAY DOWN. Boring games yes, but many stay away because they love our country. League should back U.S.
Things may get interesting in the NFL today.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/[COLOR=#14171A][FONT=&quot]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/911917487993839616[/FONT][/COLOR]
UNC national championship [basketball] team not visiting White House

Oakland A’s Bruce Maxwell becomes first MLB player to kneel for anthem

Entire Seattle high school football team kneels during national anthem before game

Last edited:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Trump is basically appealing to his base just as other politicians before him. I wish he would have found rhetoric to try and heal wounds but he hasn't and most likely won't because he's a politician. Look back the past decade or more and one can find that this has been going on for some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Trump is basically appealing to his base just as other politicians before him. I wish he would have found rhetoric to try and heal wounds but he hasn't and most likely won't because he's a politician. Look back the past decade or more and one can find that this has been going on for some time.
Please don't try to normalize this. Trump's behavior in no way represents standard presidential practice.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If Tom Brady was playing for the New Jersey Generals and kneeled during the anthem, do you think Trump releases him?

The Raiders have the only all black offensive line in the NFL? Who the heck even researches something like that?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Ravens, Jaguars respond to President Trump’s comments by linking arms, kneeling during anthem

At the start of Sunday’s first NFL game, members of the Baltimore Ravens and Jacksonville Jaguars sent a powerful message as the majority stood linking arms, while a number of others took a knee in response to President Trump’s tweet urging fans to boycott the sport until owners “fire or suspend” players who protest during the national anthem.

Ravens Coach John Harbaugh joined his players, linking arms, and Ravens Hall of Famer Ray Lewis took a knee. Jaguars owner Shahid Khan locked arms with his players in what is believed to be the first visible participation in relation to anthem protests by a league owner.

One Ravens player stood alone, but seemed to be in prayer. All players appeared to stand for the playing of the British anthem, “God Save the Queen.”

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If Tom Brady was playing for the New Jersey Generals and kneeled during the anthem, do you think Trump releases him?

The Raiders have the only all black offensive line in the NFL? Who the heck even researches something like that?

Press imbeciles with a hidden agenda.

Want proof?

remember the so-called racist comments Rush Limbaugh made about Donovan McNabb?

Let's take a look:

"Sorry to say this, I don't think he's been that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern in
the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback
do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a
lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't
deserve. The defense carried this team."

Now......do you recall reading any stories at the time about how many black players Limbaugh was actually crediting on the Eagles DEFENSE for carrying the team? Me neither. But I looked as that controversy unfolded.....every single starter on the Eagles defense that year was the same color as McNabb.

Press couldn't be bothered to look up something I noticed in two seconds.

Why?

Didn't fit their bias/narrative/story......so they couldn't be bothered with it.

Now FTR - I saw Limbaugh back in that day on the Sunday morning show, and he should have been fired for being a lousy analyst long before that comment. He was just plain old boring, and I say this as someone who thoroughly enjoyed his show in the 90s, even when I disagreed with him.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
The Steelers have announced the team has decided to remain in the locker room during the anthem.

popcorn.gif

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Typical of politics today, how the kneeling started as a protest of police brutality, and now it seems both sides are arguing over the kneeling itself, as if anyone were ever hurt (or helped) by a bunch of grown men kneeling before they play a game.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
The Steelers have announced the team has decided to remain in the locker room during the anthem.

popcorn.gif
His quote

“We’re not going to play politics,” Tomlin said. “We’re football players, we’re football coaches. We’re not participating in the anthem today. Not to be disrespectful to the anthem, but to remove ourselves from this circumstance. People shouldn’t have to choose. If a guy wants to go about his normal business and participate in the anthem, he shouldn’t have to be forced to choose sides. If a guy feels the need to do something, he shouldn’t be separated from his teammate who chooses not to. So we’re not participating today. That’s our decision. We’re going to be 100 percent. We came here to play a football game. That’s our intent.”

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
disappointed that Marlon Humphrey wasn't on that list but I also respect his choice not to
Why would you be disappointed either way? Guys need to think for themselves and do what they believe is the right thing.

Back to Trump, his behavior is utterly un-presidential no matter what definition you choose to give it, and it's further dividing our society. It cannot be compared to anything we've ever seen before. And it will backfire. And again I ask, how will our fans react if Alabama is fortunate enough to win the NC and a bunch of players, or the entire team, refuses to attend the White House?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.