The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Did he really say that he didn't think a government shutdown would effect the Houston-area recovery? Surely that was a misquote...
I'm amazed that you still have the capacity for disbelief.

He also said that he pardoned Arpaio during a major hurricane because he expected good TV ratings. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
The thing is, they will never return to normal. There might be a one-term democrat after this, but they will be ineffective and make things worse. A more competent version of Trump will soon follow (President Jeff Sessions?) This president will use the army of supporters as a militia to attack his enemies, and plunge this country into a civil war.
Complete with statues and monuments?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The thing is, they will never return to normal. There might be a one-term democrat after this, but they will be ineffective and make things worse. A more competent version of Trump will soon follow (President Jeff Sessions?) This president will use the army of supporters as a militia to attack his enemies, and plunge this country into a civil war.
I'm an optimist, definitely not a negative nancy, but fear your prediction is spot on. I just don't see US politics removing the 'us vs them' attitude that has seeped into politics over the last few decades.

More than ever before in my life I fear that we're heading for another civil war of sorts.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You guys don't like Trump, I get it. That's fine.
I didn't (and still don't) like the Beast, either....I mean, the Republicans could have nominated ALMOST anybody else in the clown car, and I would have actually voted for that person; up to a point I could have held my nose and hoped......with Trump, it was hold my nose AND cover my mouth and then pass out from lack of oxygen to the brain, which appears to be the root cause of a portion of his votes

(and ftr - I "get" why some even normal folks picked Trump over HRC, folks who aren't part of the cult and aren't racist)

The disturbing part you guys seem to be overlooking is the absurd amount of leaks that are coming.
Leaks are a part of EVERY administration. They were part of the Reagan, Clinton, and Bush 43 administrations in particular, and all those men served as STATE chief executives for periods ranging from 5-12 years and knew this is all part of the game.

There are people inside every President's team with a DIFFERENT agenda than the President has. Look at how many 'conservatives' take over a Cabinet position and then want that department's budget INCREASED after bleating on self-righteously about cutting spending. Caspar Weinberger got the reputation as a penny pincher (they called him "Cap the Knife") because of his performance as OMB director....but he wasn't REALLY a penny pincher, he was a lawyer who was an advocate for his client so when he went to Defense, all he wanted was increase after increase.

James Baker was thought to be the source of most of the leaks in the Reagan administration; Reagan never fired him because Reagan understood Baker to be one helluva good chief of staff, a guy who had press relations and friends in the other party, a savvy politician, and a man who understood that even the lowliest Congress member needs to be persuaded.

What we are seeing RIGHT NOW is the fact the head clown doesn't have an iota of experience in anything except living his life as a day to day cartoon character.

Trump is not one of the swamp dwellers and they are casting him out with all this.
Most conservatives don't have four bankruptcies in their business past. And as far as the swamp....I mean, what does that mean exactly? That phrase was pretty much ripped off from Reagan's 1980 campaign, and even he (an actual conservative by performance in California as opposed to Trump's "say what will get me elected") increased the size of government.

Ironically, the last guy to reduce even slightly the size of government was Bill Clinton.

You're dancing around celebrating all these stories like he is the only politician with questionable actions. Things will return to normal after Trump I imagine (whenever that may be), and this country will be the worse for it.
The President of the US - for better or worse (not that Trump ever kept that personal vow, either) - IS the face of the USA abroad.

I was VERY minimally hopeful that he would opt to put aside the childish broadsides against anyone who pointed out unreality to him and focus on actually doing the job. I'm not at all surprised at what we have in DC right now - what Republican with sanity can possibly work for him? You point out to him that he's wrong about something (which is the job of someone who has a job to do), and he goes after you in the press as disloyal or maybe he might even fire you.

I never in my wildest nightmare ever thought any President would be stupid enough to suggest he taped conversations with the FBI director, but my nightmare never contemplated an unreality star like our President, either.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
http://www.salon.com/2017/08/29/tru...he-key-that-unlocks-the-whole-russia-scandal/

President Trump is a compulsive liar; we know that. He lies about things that are world-shattering and things that are trivial in equal measure. One of the more obvious lies he told during the campaign and since he’s been in office is his oft-repeated claim that he knows nothing about Russia and that the whole Russia scandal is a hoax made up by the Democrats to deny him his glorious electoral victory.

As CNN summarized in this article, Trump used to brag about his knowledge of Russia and claimed that he had a personal relationship with Russian president Vladimir Putin — until February of 2016 when he suddenly began to claim that he had never met the man and had never done any business in Russia other than the now-legendary Miss Universe pageant in 2013. He slipped up at least once in the ensuing months, telling Bret Baier of Fox News he might knew Putin but couldn’t talk about it, but for the most part his line was this one, told to a Miami TV station in July of 2016: “I have nothing to do with Russia, nothing to do. I never met Putin, I have nothing to do with Russia whatsoever.”

As I said, Trump lies. A lot. So for a long time it was impossible to know whether he was lying when he said he was involved with Russia and knew the country well or when he said he had nothing to do with it whatsoever. That’s been cleared up.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
The Kremlin confirms that Trump's personal lawyer reached out during the campaign to solicit cooperation in a Moscow real estate deal. And Trump's lawyer confirmed yesterday that Trump himself was personally aware of the deal and even signed a letter of intent.

WaPo: Kremlin confirms Trump’s lawyer reached out about deal

The Kremlin on Wednesday confirmed that President Donald Trump’s personal lawyer reached out to them during the 2016 presidential campaign, seeking help for a business project in Russia.

In a statement to the House Intelligence Committee investigating Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election and possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia, Trump’s personal lawyer Michael Cohen said Monday the president’s company pursued a project in Moscow during the Republican primary. He said the plan was abandoned for various reasons.

President Vladimir Putin’s spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, told reporters in Moscow on Wednesday that they received Cohen’s email, which was sent to the press office’s general email address. Peskov said it was one of many emails the Kremlin press office gets — since its email address is available online — and that the Kremlin did not reply to it.

Cohen also disclosed that Trump was personally aware of the deal, signing a letter of intent and discussing it with Cohen on two other occasions.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The Kremlin confirms that Trump's personal lawyer reached out during the campaign to solicit cooperation in a Moscow real estate deal. And Trump's lawyer confirmed yesterday that Trump himself was personally aware of the deal and even signed a letter of intent.

WaPo: Kremlin confirms Trump’s lawyer reached out about deal
but dana rohrabacher is meeting with dolt 45 tonight to share his proof from julian assange that the russians had nothing to do with trump and this is all just a big plot by liberals to distract us

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

https://twitter.com/abc/status/[COLOR=#14171A][FONT="]https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/902875515534626817[/FONT][/COLOR]
Presumably, Trump is just innocently threatening nuclear war to distract us from the flurry of Russia news. But one wonders, if diplomacy isn't the answer, then what exactly is being proposed?

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/3...er-out-of-diplomatic-solutions-on-north-korea

Defense Secretary James Mattis on Wednesday sought to downplay President Trump’s earlier assertion that seemed to rule out a diplomatic solution to North Korea's ongoing missile tests.

"The U.S. has been talking to North Korea, and paying them extortion money, for 25 years. Talking is not the answer!" Trump tweeted Wednesday morning.

Mattis broke from that view, telling reporters asking about the tweet at the Pentagon, “We’re never out of diplomatic solutions.”
Twice recently that Mattis has publicly broken ranks with Trump's statements. Not sure how petulant Trump will be about it but I have a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.