The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Interesting that you're willing to enslave yourself to the state and the unruly mob to stave off some imagined revolt. You sound like you'd be a good German, needing unfortunates and polluters so you can feel patriotic.
We've been selling freedom for other things that have value for 10,000 years. Freedom isn't the only important thing in life. We get sold on the primacy of freedom over all other concerns by groups who stand to benefit from said freedoms more than I could ever imagine.

We don't need more economic freedoms. We need more economic security. The only people who gain from unfettered economic freedom are the people who have already won.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I just hope to see more NeverTrump representatives elected. I don't care what party label they carry...
This would have been a perfect year for an independent to run
There had to be someone that could appeal to the masses better than the two we had to choose from. The problem then is both sides have perfected blocking anything not sponsored by their party. Many people (that shouldn't) have completely given up on politics.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Lawyer: Kushner ‘has no recollection’ of reported undisclosed Russian contacts

Top presidential adviser Jared Kushner’s legal team pushed back Friday night against a report that the White House senior adviser and Trump son-in-law had at least three undisclosed contacts with a Russian ambassador during and after the 2016 presidential campaign, saying he had “no recollection” of the alleged exchanges.

"Mr. Kushner participated in thousands of calls in this time period. He has no recollection of the calls as described,” Kushner’s lawyer Jamie Gorelick told POLITICO in a statement, responding to a Reuters report about Kushner's contacts with Russian ambassador to the U.S. Sergey Kislyak.
Sounds like a strong defense.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
It will end up carrying him further than it should. It's funny, I can recall being in school and using the excuse, "I don't remember." And it never did as good a job as it does today getting politicians and conglomerates out of a scrape. Wow, I just sounded like a bitter old man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And certain football programs.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Weekend news dump:

- Trump cancels next week's Iowa rally due to "an unforeseen change" in his schedule. Link

- The White House is refusing to address the reports of Kushner's attempt to establish a secret communication channel between Trump's staff and the Kremlin. Link

- A man on a train in Portland yelled racial slurs toward a Muslim woman in a hijab; when three men approached to intervene, he pulled a knife and stabbed them, killing two. Link

- The U.S. is now the only participating country unable to commit to the Paris agreement, with Trump saying he "needs more time to decide." Link

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Sounds to me like he might be pleading the 21st; I know I started about a month ago. 
LOL! I don't think it's without the realm of possibility that we will see Kushner pleading the fifth, along with Flynn. I know Trump's base is hard core, but, somewhere along the way, people are going to have to start asking themselves what they've elected. Silver's take - LINK

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This nation is mentally ill and the only thing left is for us to claw ourselves apart.

So no, I don't expect Trump's base to question anything except reality.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
U.S. President Donald Trump has told "confidants," including the head of the Environmental Protection Agency Scott Pruitt, that he plans to leave a landmark international agreement on climate change, Axios news outlet reported on Saturday, citing three sources with direct knowledge.
Link

Ignoring how grossly irresponsible this is to our descendants, Trump better pray that the 195 signatory countries don't respond by imposing carbon tariffs on our exports.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
The agreement was rather pointless to begin with. Simply a placebo.
I disagree. I think it's tremendously meaningful that nearly every nation on earth put pen on paper in recognition of the danger presented by greenhouse emissions. The fact that there is no official means of enforcing each signatory's pledge doesn't eliminate the significance of that joint recognition, IMO.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I disagree. I think it's tremendously meaningful that nearly every nation on earth put pen on paper in recognition of the danger presented by greenhouse emissions. The fact that there is no official means of enforcing each signatory's pledge doesn't eliminate the significance of that joint recognition, IMO.
Not to mention the fact that living up to the commitments therein would result in no meaningful impact on "climate change".

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Not to mention the fact that living up to the commitments therein would result in no meaningful impact on "climate change".
I don't buy that argument. While the Paris agreement probably doesn't go far enough at baseline, given how long we've waited to act, I don't think it's reasonable to argue that slowing the rate of warming (thereby giving us time to find more effective solutions) is no better than just ignoring the problem and running full speed ahead right off the cliff.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I don't buy that argument. While the Paris agreement probably doesn't go far enough at baseline, given how long we've waited to act, I don't think it's reasonable to argue that slowing the rate of warming (thereby giving us time to find more effective solutions) is no better than just ignoring the problem and running full speed ahead right off the cliff.
The goal of the Paris agreement was to limit temp increases to something like 1.5 degrees Celsius. The result of the agreement still means an increase on the order of 3.0 degrees Celsius over preindustrial levels. By definition, that's a placebo. No one is interested in living in the Stone Age in order to achieve some textbook level of global temperature.

Last edited by a moderator:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
The goal of the Paris agreement was to limit temp increases to something like 1.5 degrees Celsius. The result of the agreement still means an increase on the order of 3.0 degrees Celsius over preindustrial levels. By definition, that's a placebo. No one is interested in living in the Stone Age in order to achieve some textbook level of global temperature.
The agreement also stipulates that the targets will be increased over time, and studies have shown that, while more can and must ultimately be done, the agreement targets would reduce the degree of warming compared to inaction. It's not the final solution, but it's hardly a placebo. I'll take the possibility of some short-term economic hit in exchange for saving millions of lives and preserving both global stability and habitable geography. But I know I'm a pinko commie hipster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.