The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Trump signs largest wilderness protection bill in a decade

Capping a rare bipartisan effort in Congress, President Donald Trump on Tuesday signed into law the largest wilderness preservation bill in a decade, a measure that includes new protections for California’s Mojave Desert.

The new law, which passed the U.S. Senate last month by a vote of 92-8, designates 1.3 million acres of federal land in California, Oregon, Utah and New Mexico as wilderness, the highest level of protection, in which logging, oil drilling, mining and road-building are banned.

Among its provisions, the measure establishes 375,000 acres of new wilderness — an area nearly 13 times the size of San Francisco — in the Mojave Desert, most of it on federal land managed by the Bureau of Land Management. The legislation also enlarges Death Valley National Park by 35,929 acres and Joshua Tree National Park by 4,518 acres.

The bill signed Thursday is a collection of more than 100 pieces of legislation written by a broad mix of Democrats and Republicans. It sets aside 621 miles of rivers for new protections, establishes new national monuments at Civil War sites in Kentucky and in Mississippi to honor civil rights leaders Medgar and Myrlie Evers, and provides Native Alaskan Vietnam veterans the ability to homestead federal land in Alaska. It also extends for seven years the “Every Kid in a Park” program, started in the Obama administration, which gives fourth-grade students and their families free admission to all national parks.

The provision that drew the most support from GOP leaders, however, ensuring passage, was a measure to permanently reauthorize the Land and Water Conservation Fund. That law, passed in 1964, is America’s largest source of funding to not only expand national parks and wildlife refuges, but to provide grants to states and cities to create new local parks, baseball fields, community swimming pools, boat marinas and other outdoor amenities. In Trump’s budget plan Monday, he proposed cutting spending from the fund by 95 percent, a move that Congress is expected to reverse.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I’d bet money he doesn’t own a bible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'd take that bet. There is no way Mike Pence and about 10K others haven't gifted him one.

Hell, I own a bible. Brother in law gave it to us as a wedding present, he could have put $1000 between the pages in cash and I'd never know it but it is on my bookshelf somewhere

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
I'd take that bet. There is no way Mike Pence and about 10K others haven't gifted him one.

Hell, I own a bible. Brother in law gave it to us as a wedding present, he could have put $1000 between the pages in cash and I'd never know it but it is on my bookshelf somewhere
I'll give you 1$ for that bible.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If he is removed from office via constitutional means, what does he expect the military to do? If 67 senators vote him out, they will be answering to Pence, not him. Anyone trying to stop that will get a room in federal prison. I would hope the military knows this. It isn’t a concern of the police and I wouldn’t worry about a bunch of bikers storming the capital. They would have no clue what to do and would be shot dead before they got close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.