The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Journalist Jamal Khashoggi was tortured and dismembered over seven minutes while he was still alive, according to a Turkish source who heard an audio recording of the murder.

The Washington Post columnist was abducted Oct. 2 from the consul-general’s office at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul and dragged into a study next door — and a witness downstairs heard horrendous screams, reported Middle East Eye.

The consul himself was taken out of the room,” the source told the website. “There was no attempt to interrogate him. They had come to kill him.”

The screaming stopped when Khashoggi was injected with an unknown substance.

The head of forensic evidence in the Saudi general security department, Salah Muhammad al-Tubaigy, was among a 15-man squad who arrived in Turkey earlier that day by private jet.

The source said Tubaigy started to cut up Khashoggi’s body on a table in the study while the journalist was still alive — and the killing took seven minutes.
And we knew.

I can confirm that the National Security Agency, America’s big ear, indeed intercepted Saudi communications that indicated Riyadh had something unpleasant in store for Khashoggi. Listening in on foreign governments, after all, is NSA’s main job, and that includes frenemies like Saudi Arabia as well as hostile regimes. At least a day before Khashoggi appeared at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, an NSA official told me, the agency had Top Secret information that Riyadh was planning something nefarious—though exactly what was not clear from the intercepts. This was deemed important because Khashoggi is a legal resident of the United States, and is therefore entitled to protection. According to the NSA official, this threat warning was communicated to the White House through official intelligence channels.
Link

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
And we knew.

Link
yep, and twitler tried to blow it off the first few days. yesterday he was comparing mbs to kavanaugh saying people are rushing to judgment and that this was probably done by rouge elements and not the saudi rulers. he also brazenly lied about having business ties with saudi. but what is new?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
yep, and twitler tried to blow it off the first few days. yesterday he was comparing mbs to kavanaugh saying people are rushing to judgment and that this was probably done by rouge elements and not the saudi rulers. he also brazenly lied about having business ties with saudi. but what is new?
Just imagine what the (correct and justified) outrage from the right would be if Obama had known that someone under America's protection would be abducted and dismembered by the Saudis... and then not only allowed it to happen, but defended the barbarities. Yet now: silence. We were all united in outrage when it was ISIS cutting off journalists heads. But now that the Saudis do it and Trump defends them, a third of the country looks the other way. Excuses it. Condones it.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Just imagine what the (correct and justified) outrage from the right would be if Obama had known that someone under America's protection would be abducted and dismembered by the Saudis... and then not only allowed it to happen, but defended the barbarities. Yet now: silence. We were all united in outrage when it was ISIS cutting off journalists heads. But now that the Saudis do it and Trump defends them, a third of the country looks the other way. Excuses it. Condones it.

not to worry, the whatabout wurlitzer is being warmed up as we speak. we will all know exactly what this is really about, and what we should really worry about soon enough.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Yeah - his instinct for science is how he knows every time he opens his mouth it stinks like crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Do a little independent research. It's disappearing faster than generally expected, alarmist politics aside...
I wish we could get the alarmist politics aside.....there's so much money to be made though.....it's turned into quite the industry......:rolleyes:

BTW Earle....who (in your opinion) is the best resource for information on climate change? Is there one person who has distinguished him/herself from all others?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I wish we could get the alarmist politics aside.....there's so much money to be made though.....it's turned into quite the industry......:rolleyes:

BTW Earle....who (in your opinion) is the best resource for information on climate change? Is there one person who has distinguished him/herself from all others?
99% of climate scientists.

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
Do a little independent research. It'sou disappearing faster than generally expected, alarmist politics aside...
I agree with you. But that works both ways. Everyone should do their own research. We all have the ability to analyze and think critically, not just accept someone's theory:

The late Stanford University climatologist Stephen Schneider told Discover magazine in 1989, "we have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements, and make little mention of any doubts we might have. ... Each of us has to decide what the right balance is between being effective and being honest."

In other words, dumb it down, scare the public, and get the reaction we want.

I just like pointing out that the alarmist politics make people rich...on both sides of the argument...

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
wapo just published the last column written by the saudi journalist who was assassinated and dismembered by the saudi royals.

Jamal Khashoggi: What the Arab world needs most is free expression

A note from Karen Attiah, Global Opinions editor

I received this column from Jamal Khashoggi’s translator and assistant the day after Jamal was reported missing in Istanbul. The Post held off publishing it because we hoped Jamal would come back to us so that he and I could edit it together. Now I have to accept: That is not going to happen. This is the last piece of his I will edit for The Post. This column perfectly captures his commitment and passion for freedom in the Arab world. A freedom he apparently gave his life for. I will be forever grateful he chose The Post as his final journalistic home one year ago and gave us the chance to work together.

The Arab world is facing its own version of an Iron Curtain, imposed not by external actors but through domestic forces vying for power. During the Cold War, Radio Free Europe, which grew over the years into a critical institution, played an important role in fostering and sustaining the hope of freedom. Arabs need something similar. In 1967, the New York Times and The Post took joint ownership of the International Herald Tribune newspaper, which went on to become a platform for voices from around the world.

My publication, The Post, has taken the initiative to translate many of my pieces and publish them in Arabic. For that, I am grateful. Arabs need to read in their own language so they can understand and discuss the various aspects and complications of democracy in the United States and the West. If an Egyptian reads an article exposing the actual cost of a construction project in Washington, then he or she would be able to better understand the implications of similar projects in his or her community.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Do a little independent research. It's disappearing faster than generally expected, alarmist politics aside...
That’s not a capability too many Trumpers possess - their info has to come from him, Faux News or some other illegitimate right wing nut job (Limburger, Lahwrong, etc.)
Tribalism has taken them over because they lack any capacity for independent thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.