The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
This may be the most damaging legacy of the Trump administration. The student loan bubble will burst, and with it, the buying power of an entire generation will be decimated. The difficulty in financing will disincentive younger generations to pursue higher education. DeVos will simultaneously deepen the class divide and eliminate education as the best mode of ascending our country's social ladder. In a cabinet ripe with Scheiße, she might be the worst.

Education Secretary DeVos To Give All Student Loan Accounts To One Company; Strip Away More Protections

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos has made another sweeping change to the student loan system that consumer advocates claim favors student loan collectors over the American people repaying those loans.

The latest move from DeVos — who only weeks ago rescinded a number of student loan servicing protections put in place by the previous administration — will put all federal student loan servicing under the control of just one company starting in 2019.

There are currently nine student loan servicers handling these accounts for the federal government.

Late Friday afternoon, DeVos announced the upcoming changes via an amendment [PDF] to the contracting process, which will see the student loan servicing contract awarded to just one of the following: Navient (the servicer spun off from Sallie Mae), GreatNet, or the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA).

In addition to creating a single student loan servicer program, this latest change removes several other requirements previously outlined by the Obama administration when creating the contract process.

For instance, the servicer who ultimately receives the contract would not be required to provide “high-touch” (personalized, proactive) customer service for in-trouble and delinquent borrowers. This means no requirement for preemptive outreach when a borrower is late, or when they need to re-enroll in income-driven repayment plans.

The Bureau noted that many of these complaints came after it took “major enforcement action” against a student loan servicer: Navient. In January, Navient, which is in the running for the new Dept. of Education contract, was sued by the the CFPB and two states claiming the company cheated borrowers out of repayment rights.

The company responded to the complaint two months later, noting in a filing to dismiss the lawsuit that it was under no obligation to help student loan borrowers.

“There is no expectation that the servicer will act in the interest of the consumers,” Navient said in the March 24 filing, adding that courts routinely agree that servicers and lenders “do not owe borrowers any specific fiduciary duties based upon their servicer/borrower relationship.”

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
This may be the most damaging legacy of the Trump administration. The student loan bubble will burst, and with it, the buying power of an entire generation will be decimated. The difficulty in financing will disincentive younger generations to pursue higher education. DeVos will simultaneously deepen the class divide and eliminate education as the best mode of ascending our country's social ladder. In a cabinet ripe with Scheiße, she might be the worst.

Education Secretary DeVos To Give All Student Loan Accounts To One Company; Strip Away More Protections
I hope it doesn't happen like you think. I never really understood how the student loan thing ever stayed afloat. It seems like some people don't ever formulate a reasonable plan to pay off their loans. I know people who have spent money traveling abroad either using that money to finance their trip or using the money they should have been paying it off with to finance it. I am most likely in the minority but I think teaching / enabling young people to live in debt is irresponsible. Especially if it is government guaranteed.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I hope it doesn't happen like you think. I never really understood how the student loan thing ever stayed afloat. It seems like some people don't ever formulate a reasonable plan to pay off their loans. I know people who have spent money traveling abroad either using that money to finance their trip or using the money they should have been paying it off with to finance it. I am most likely in the minority but I think teaching / enabling young people to live in debt is irresponsible. Especially if it is government guaranteed.
My monthly loan payments are more than any mortgage in my family, and I have 20-30 more years ahead. Should I not travel abroad or enjoy any facet of life until I'm 50?

The "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" generation was able to buy a house by 30 and support a family of 4 on a factory worker's salary. That is impossible today. Even people who pursued STEM, finance/accounting, or business degrees over something inherently low-paying like Gender Studies aren't able to make that lifestyle a reality, which itself paints a stark picture of the socioeconomic divide that's expanded over the last 60 years. We're inching closer to a society where only rich families can afford to give their kids an education, and anyone else who tries will be financially crushed for decades.

I know people who make 40k in California, yet are expected to pay $700 each month on their student loans. Of course they can't, so they either default and kill their credit score, or go into forbearance and watch helplessly as a 7% interest rate slowly inflates their principle. DeVos wants to magnify that. People will default not only because they can't pay, but because she also wants to reintroduce predatory lending practices, such as a lender not even having to notify a borrower that it's time to recertify their loans. That means your payments will suddenly double or triple without warning, and you'll be stuck at that higher rate for 3-4 months while they slowly process your recertification paperwork. Most people simply wouldn't be able to pay that increased rate (I certainly wouldn't), and you're back in that default/forbearance cycle. If that happens on a grander scale, my generation won't be buying houses, cars, or much of anything. If you wanted to stifle the American economy, destroy the socioeconomic ladder, and lead directly to another financial crisis, this is a perfect avenue to travel.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Official WH press release says "peach" in the middle east! :eek2:

http://forward.com/fast-forward/372684/white-house-press-release-trump-lasting-peach-middle-east/

The press release is only the latest White House document to contain elementary errors — a document containing a list of terror attacks included the misspellings “Attaker,” “San Bernadino” and “Denmakr”; a press briefing transcript referred to Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin as the Commerce Secretary; and the White House’s Snapchat account called Betsy DeVos the “Secretary of Educatuon.”Read more: http://forward.com/fast-forward/372684/white-house-press-release-trump-lasting-peach-middle-east/
Peach is a shade of orange so we actually do have 'peach' in the middle east.
In other news Trump sat down with Israeli President Reuven Rivlin, in Israel, for a press conference. He then went on to say he just "got back" from the Middle East. Someone needs to tell him that Israel IS in the middle east.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
My monthly loan payments are more than any mortgage in my family, and I have 20-30 more years ahead. Should I not travel abroad or enjoy any facet of life until I'm 50?

The "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" generation was able to buy a house by 30 and support a family of 4 on a factory worker's salary. That is impossible today. Even people who pursued STEM, finance/accounting, or business degrees over something inherently low-paying like Gender Studies aren't able to make that lifestyle a reality, which itself paints a stark picture of the socioeconomic divide that's expanded over the last 60 years. We're inching closer to a society where only rich families can afford to give their kids an education, and anyone else who tries will be financially crushed for decades.

I know people who make 40k in California, yet are expected to pay $700 each month on their student loans. Of course they can't, so they either default and kill their credit score, or go into forbearance and watch helplessly as a 7% interest rate slowly inflates their principle. DeVos wants to magnify that. People will default not only because they can't pay, but because she also wants to reintroduce predatory lending practices, such as a lender not even having to notify a borrower that it's time to recertify their loans. That means your payments will suddenly double or triple without warning, and you'll be stuck at that higher rate for 3-4 months while they slowly process your recertification paperwork. Most people simply wouldn't be able to pay that increased rate (I certainly wouldn't), and you're back in that default/forbearance cycle. If that happens on a grander scale, my generation won't be buying houses, cars, or much of anything. If you wanted to stifle the American economy, destroy the socioeconomic ladder, and lead directly to another financial crisis, this is a perfect avenue to travel.
Charmin, thanks for your insight. I know I was short sighted. You have helped me to better understand. I'm one of those prior generation guys. I was able to have my first home built while I was still going to college. I admit I wasn't typical because I averaged working 35 to 40 hours while going to high school and worked full time during most of my college time. My first full year of college (jr college) cost less than $2,000. I think we have gone backwards as a society. My wife had student loans but was able to pay them off in 6 years. College was so much cheaper then.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Charmin, thanks for your insight. I know I was short sighted. You have helped me to better understand. I'm one of those prior generation guys. I was able to have my first home built while I was still going to college. I admit I wasn't typical because I averaged working 35 to 40 hours while going to high school and worked full time during most of my college time. My first full year of college (jr college) cost less than $2,000. I think we have gone backwards as a society. My wife had student loans but was able to pay them off in 6 years. College was so much cheaper then.
I once, about 30 years ago, I had a young doctor come in for legal help. In the course of the conversation, he asked for a referral to a bankruptcy attorney because he wanted to bankrupt out of his student loans. He had a ton. He'd gone to a historically black undergrad, so that wasn't too bad, but med school was. I told him they'd done away with bankruptcy for student loans the year before. His face fell and he said that, when he was in school, the word was to "load up," and then bankrupt after graduation. A few years after that, I saw in the paper that he had died really young. AIDS would be my guess; that was before it was treatable. I thought of what a waste it was - all the money which had gone into his education and down the tubes. At least he got out of his loans, since they're automatically discharged by death...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm not suggesting that school costs aren't out of control, but no one put a gun to your head and made you go into debt. You made the choices.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I'm not suggesting that school costs aren't out of control, but no one put a gun to your head and made you go into debt. You made the choices.
I never implied otherwise.

As an aside, it is nearly impossible to attend medical school and not go into debt. My undergrad was free through a merit scholarship; those essentially do not exist at the med school level. Unless you have rich parents that fund your education, debt is unavoidable in the current system.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Government has done a great job a screwing up the cost of higher education. I know plenty of people who have six figure debt for nonsense degrees. One girl has $160k in debt for her undergrad degree in sociology. She'll never be able to pay it off. Only government can hand out excessive amounts of money for nonsense like this. Artificially inflate demand and prices sky rocket.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
former cia director brennan testified in front of congress today.

an interesting quote

“Frequently, individuals who go along the treasonous path do not even realize they’re along that path until it gets to be a bit too late,” he said.

pcfixup

Suspended
Feb 2, 2005
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
I never implied otherwise.

As an aside, it is nearly impossible to attend medical school and not go into debt. My undergrad was free through a merit scholarship; those essentially do not exist at the med school level. Unless you have rich parents that fund your education, debt is unavoidable in the current system.
That is why we have to import 1/3 of our physicans.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
“Frequently, individuals who go along the treasonous path do not even realize they’re along that path until it gets to be a bit too late,” he said.
It does make you wonder. Can someone tell their Russian friend too much one day and then further along, start passing laws that make it much more profitable to move the country's industry overseas to take advantage of cheap labor and relaxed environmental regulations? Or is it just classified emails and such?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It does make you wonder. Can someone tell their Russian friend too much one day and then further along, start passing laws that make it much more profitable to move the country's industry overseas to take advantage of cheap labor and relaxed environmental regulations? Or is it just classified emails and such?
you should ask brennan that question.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm not sure what your question really is. If you're talking about the executive branch, then they can't "pass laws" anyway. I think the Trump clan is basically paralyzed right now. The heat is too high for them to take advantage of their cozy relationship. I have no clue as to what your "classified emails" remark means...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
looks like Hannity is going full infowars on this one

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/334825-hannity-on-seth-rich-coverage-i-retracted-nothing

Fox News’s Sean Hannity ripped his critics and the mainstream media on his nationally syndicated radio program Tuesday, saying, “I am not Fox.com or FoxNews.com, I retracted nothing.”

His reaction came hours after Fox News retracted a story regarding the 2016 killing of Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich after massive outcry over sharing conspiracy theories about the 2016 shooting death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.