The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Pepe the Frog’s Creator Goes Legally Nuclear Against the Alt-Right

Pepe the Frog creator Matt Furie has made good on his threat to "aggressively enforce his intellectual property."

The artist's lawyers have taken legal action against the alt-right. They have served cease and desist orders to several alt-right personalities and websites including Richard Spencer, Mike Cernovich, and the r/the_Donald subreddit. In addition, they have issued Digital Millennium Copyright Act takedown requests to Reddit and Amazon, notifying them that use of Pepe by the alt-right on their platforms is copyright infringement. The message is to the alt-right is clear—stop using Pepe the Frog or prepare for legal consequences.

Furie originally created Pepe as a non-political character for his Boy's Club comic, but Pepe later became an internet meme and during the 2016 US presidential election the alt-right movement appropriated the frog in various grotesque and hateful memes.

At the end of August, Furie's lawyers reached a settlement with Eric Hauser—the former assistant principal in Texas who appropriated Pepe's image for use in an Islamophobic children's book. Furie's lawyers forced Hauser to stop selling the book and made him donate his profits to the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Trump will be in Huntsville next Saturday to campaign for Strange.

Would love to see Earle's reaction if the CBS affiliate there interrupts the Bama game to cover his visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Update. Trump will be in the state Friday, so he won't lose votes by breaking into football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
NYT: With a Picked Lock and a Threatened Indictment, Mueller’s Inquiry Sets a Tone

Paul J. Manafort was in bed early one morning in July when federal agents bearing a search warrant picked the lock on his front door and raided his Virginia home. They took binders stuffed with documents and copied his computer files, looking for evidence that Mr. Manafort, President Trump’s former campaign chairman, set up secret offshore bank accounts. They even photographed the expensive suits in his closet.

The special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, then followed the house search with a warning: His prosecutors told Mr. Manafort they planned to indict him, said two people close to the investigation.

It is unusual for a prosecutor to seek a search warrant against someone who, like Mr. Manafort, had already put his lawyer in contact with the Justice Department.

To get the warrant, Mr. Mueller’s team had to show probable cause that Mr. Manafort’s home contained evidence of a crime. To be allowed to pick the lock and enter the home unannounced, prosecutors had to persuade a federal judge that Mr. Manafort was likely to destroy evidence.
CNN: US government wiretapped former Trump campaign chairman

US investigators wiretapped former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort under secret court orders before and after the election, sources tell CNN, an extraordinary step involving a high-ranking campaign official now at the center of the Russia meddling probe.

A secret order authorized by the court that handles the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) began after Manafort became the subject of an FBI investigation that began in 2014. It centered on work done by a group of Washington consulting firms for Ukraine's former ruling party, the sources told CNN.

The FBI then restarted the surveillance after obtaining a new FISA warrant that extended at least into early this year.

Sources say the second warrant was part of the FBI's efforts to investigate ties between Trump campaign associates and suspected Russian operatives. Such warrants require the approval of top Justice Department and FBI officials, and the FBI must provide the court with information showing suspicion that the subject of the warrant may be acting as an agent of a foreign power.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Would just like to point out that if you follow Claude Taylor on Twitter he had mentioned things along these lines months ago. He evidently has a very good source in this investigation. You should still take it with a grain of salt but he's been right about a LOT of the happenings with this case well ahead of the main stream media.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Something about the CNN column rings false. A FISA warrant is used to investigate foreign nationals, not U.S. citizens. Also there's virtually no bar to hurdle to get a FISA warrant approved. If Manafort is suspected of a crime, I believe a FISA warrant would not be applicable to investigate him for that crime.
carter page was the subject of a fisa warrant as well. flynn got caught up in one, but i don't think he was the actual subject of the warrant.

former trump adviser carter page under fisa warrant since 2014

also, the cnn piece says that he (manafort) has been subject to the fisa warrant since around 2014

eta: after a quick look, i can't find anything specific about why they would use this for us citizens

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
There seems to be some confusion about when and why, and how difficult it is to get a FISA warrant.

My take...Mueller appreciates the urgency of him bringing the hammer, and ridding us of this bunch. As the saying goes...he's playing chess while Trump's people are playing checkers.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Would just like to point out that if you follow Claude Taylor on Twitter he had mentioned things along these lines months ago. He evidently has a very good source in this investigation. You should still take it with a grain of salt but he's been right about a LOT of the happenings with this case well ahead of the main stream media.
He's awful. I'm pretty sure he claimed arrests were imminent about 1000000 times.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
He's awful. I'm pretty sure he claimed arrests were imminent about 1000000 times.
I'm pretty sure he didn't. From actually reading his posts he's usually been pretty careful with his words or clarified that these things take a long time after semi-joking posts. I can think of maybe one thing that falls under what you're saying here.

Not saying he's the end all be all or anything, but been following him for a while and haven't seen much of what you're claiming here.

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
He and Mensch occasionally find some good info, but you can tell they don't vet very well like a responsible journalist would. Case and point, both got burned recently.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/28/trump-tweets-hoax-louise-mensch-claude-taylor
I think they are both mostly full of crap, especially Mensch. They are like most people who make outrageous claims, they make a lot of them with some invariably "hitting" then they tout the hits while ignoring the misses

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'm pretty sure he didn't. From actually reading his posts he's usually been pretty careful with his words or clarified that these things take a long time after semi-joking posts. I can think of maybe one thing that falls under what you're saying here.

Not saying he's the end all be all or anything, but been following him for a while and haven't seen much of what you're claiming here.
I can't do it on my work computer but I can show you a number of tweets about arrests that were supposedly coming. I probably exaggerated but the overall point is that he is bad. Listen, I can't stand Trump and his crew but Mensch and Claude Taylor are a part of the Trump problem IMO. They fire people up about often fake information or at the very least info taken out of context. Many on the left cry out about fake news and misinformation from Trump and Co. but there is a growing "fake news" contingent on the left that could become just as damaging.

I think they are both mostly full of crap, especially Mensch. They are like most people who make outrageous claims, they make a lot of them with some invariably "hitting" then they tout the hits while ignoring the misses
Exactly, I don't know why people follow them. They use similar tactics that all bombastic personalities use.

He and Mensch occasionally find some good info, but you can tell they don't vet very well like a responsible journalist would. Case and point, both got burned recently.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/28/trump-tweets-hoax-louise-mensch-claude-taylor
Exactly. They just can't be trusted.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
another case of the Trump admin simply ignoring data that doesn't suit them.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...istration-rejects-study-refugees-help-economy

The Trump administration rejected a study conducted by its own Department of Health and Human Services finding that refugees had a net positive value in the United States over the past decade, according to a recent report by the New York Times.

The study found that between 2005 and 2014, refugees “contributed an estimated $269.1 billion in revenues to all levels of government” through the payment of federal, state, and local taxes — which far outweighed their cost to the country. “Overall, this report estimated that the net fiscal impact of refugees was positive over the 10-year period, at $63 billion.” When the study was completed in July, however, it was never publicly released, and the Trump administration dismissed the findings. From the New York Times:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

Thanks for this link. I had missed this one with how busy I've been. I remember seeing those tweets and was very suspicious of those claims.

Agree with Jon about Mensch, she tries a bit too hard and comes off as a phony.

Although there have been at least 4-5 pretty big stories that are later "CNN or other MSM exclusives" that I had read weeks/months ahead of time on Claude Taylor's feed. As stated I take their stuff with a big grain of salt but Taylor especially appears to have at least one good legit source - but you never know which information is coming from that source or from elsewhere.

I can't do it on my work computer but I can show you a number of tweets about arrests that were supposedly coming. I probably exaggerated but the overall point is that he is bad. Listen, I can't stand Trump and his crew but Mensch and Claude Taylor are a part of the Trump problem IMO. They fire people up about often fake information or at the very least info taken out of context. Many on the left cry out about fake news and misinformation from Trump and Co. but there is a growing "fake news" contingent on the left that could become just as damaging.
I have a feeling I know which tweets you're referencing but the majority of those that I'm thinking of were more tongue and cheek (at least how I read them) although I'm sure I missed plenty. There's only so many posts you can read from someone that posts so often.

I don't disagree on the fake news discussion necessarily. Although as stated above I believe he has at least one real source that has lead me to information before hand. If there had been zero hits on different stories I'd have stopped checking a while back, but it is a fact that he has been right about several big stories well ahead of everyone else - but then again he doesn't have the same journalistic standards to stick by so it would take them longer to get cleared to share it. For me it has more turned into fascination of seeing what information ends up becoming stories later - I don't generally share or discuss the stories much before it comes out from somewhere else later.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I'm fairly certain they have (or had) someone on the inside feeding them good info. The FISA warrant thing was a hell of a scoop on her part. She just got it out quicker because she doesn't vet her info diligently like WAPO or the Times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.