The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
As I said above, only the Greenlanders, inhabitants of an autonomous land could sell their land, not the Danes. They are overwhelmingly Inuit, IOW brown people. Why would any brown person, living on an island, in his right mind sell himself into Trump's tender control?
No need to buy the place........ just invest and build all over the place...... greenbacks rule the day, and I don’t think they would turn their nose up at investing dollars

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Maybe, but I think if we got them involved in the whole deal, it could be a mutually beneficial cooperation between both countries....... and it helps keep the Chinese at arms length
I think it is interesting that we are worried whether we need to heavily invest in or buy an island that is currently an autonomous country that is part one of our NATO allies.

Looking at a map of the arctic circle shows that the only country that is not part of NATO is Russia, and it looks like they control roughly ~50% of the shoreline in the arctic circle. So is this really more of an indication that the Trump administration intends to further isolate the US from NATO, or even further, that we don't trust our own NATO allies anymore? Either of those ideas are far more frightening to me than worrying whether China will all of a sudden start taking large swaths of the arctic circle. I would figure if we were going to use a boogeyman, at least use Russia, but that probably isn't very palatable to the President.

Last edited:

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I think it is interesting that we are worried whether we need to heavily invest in or buy an island that is currently an autonomous country that is part one of our NATO allies.

Looking at a map of the arctic circle shows that the only country that is not part of NATO is Russia, and it looks like they control roughly ~50% of the shoreline in the arctic circle. So is this really more of an indication that the Trump administration intends to further isolate the US from NATO, or even further, that we don't trust our own NATO allies anymore? Either of those ideas are far more frightening to me than worrying whether China will all of a sudden start taking large swaths of the arctic circle. I would figure if we were going to use a boogeyman, at least use Russia, but that probably isn't very palatable to the President.
It is a really nice way to change the news feed away from mass shootings, the market correction, the slowing global economy and the large negative sentiment toward Trump in the polls. After all what evidence is there that the Frito Bandito can think at all on a strategic plane? After all we did just effectively cede the Pacific Basin to China's influence when we tore up the TPP without understanding its basic intent.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
One of the reasons, is that China has started to nose around the Arctic circle and wants more influence and access to natural resources that Greenland and the Arctic has. Look at what they have done in Africa...…………there are lots of resources to be had there. I can see a reason to prevent the Chinese from getting a toe hold in the Arctic

The biggest flaw in this suggestion is the idea that Trump actually thinks that way in terms of the UNITED STATES.

I could actually (somewhat) buy that argument if we were talking any other President - D or R - that I thought might take that into consideration.

I can't buy for one second that Trump is actually far-sighted enough to do that for the nation. This guy has been a disaster at everything he's ever tried with OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
With his attention span and lack of any type of critical thinking (or just thinking in general) he has probably already forgotten about Greenland. I can see Steven Miller behind all of this. "Hey, Boss why don't we buy Greenland, let all the immigrants in from wherever and then send them all to Greenland".

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Maybe, but I think if we got them involved in the whole deal, it could be a mutually beneficial cooperation between both countries....... and it helps keep the Chinese at arms length
I'll repeat, slowly this time. Do.you.think.any.brown.islander.would.sell.himself.to.Trump? You read the news, right?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Trump's obsession with Clinton at this point makes him look mentally unstable, to be kind. But evidently that what his base wants. How are we supposed to deal with people who approve of this crap?

Last Friday, I had three ardent Trumpers, knowing I vote Dem, tell me they fully expect a civil war to break out here. One piped up that they want to see a return of public hangings in the town square. These are people I've known and liked and worked with for 25 years.

When I questioned them on the timing of the pending civil war, they seemed to think it's wouldn't be long. As far as they were concerned, the sooner the better. These are not just marginal nut case people. these are good people who Trump has driven into a rage-aholic hatred of whoever he decides to demonize any particular day.

How do you respond to someone you've known and respected for 25 years who suggests to you he's looking forward to the day a civil war breaks out so he can bag some minorities, Dems and liberals? At first I thought they were just pulling my leg to get my goat. But the longer we talked, the more I found myself wondering "Are they serious?"

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Trump's obsession with Clinton at this point makes him look mentally unstable, to be kind. But evidently that what his base wants. How are we supposed to deal with people who approve of this crap?

Last Friday, I had three ardent Trumpers, knowing I vote Dem, tell me they fully expect a civil war to break out here. One piped up that they want to see a return of public hangings in the town square. These are people I've known and liked and worked with for 25 years.

When I questioned them on the timing of the pending civil war, they seemed to think it's wouldn't be long. As far as they were concerned, the sooner the better. These are not just marginal nut case people. these are good people who Trump has driven into a rage-aholic hatred of whoever he decides to demonize any particular day.

How do you respond to someone you've known and respected for 25 years who suggests to you he's looking forward to the day a civil war breaks out so he can bag some minorities, Dems and liberals? At first I thought they were just pulling my leg to get my goat. But the longer we talked, the more I found myself wondering "Are they serious?"
He just cant get over the fact that she beat him by 3 million votes.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

relentlessly mock them and treat them as social pariahs? there have to still be a few of them who on some level are capable of feeling shame.

it's obvious reason doesn't work with them.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
relentlessly mock them and treat them as social pariahs? there have to still be a few of them who on some level are capable of feeling shame.

it's obvious reason doesn't work with them.
as is often said you can't reason someone out of a position that they didn't reason themselves into, so not sure what might work. I'm down for trying shame

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

think maybe your friends are listening to this guy?
https://www.rightwingwatch.org/post...ump-doesnt-carry-out-mass-arrests-by-january/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.