The policy and politics of Trumpism

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!
Status
Not open for further replies.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Our healthcare costs are the highest in the world. Take a look at this chart of longevity from The Economist. Something has to give...

LINK
It won't, if it could then we would've had it under Carter. Unless there is a massive liberal spring in Congress then I give it no chance of happening. We are a right centered political country that moves very slow on policy. If we were a Parliamentary democracy then I say we would have it once the liberals take power.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Dang, people were talking up FEMA Death Camps or whatever over Obamacare but the GOP plan plainly will attempt to kill off the boomer generation.
Should this not strengthen the Democratic Progressives over time, as most of the Tea Party are Baby Boomers?

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Our healthcare costs are the highest in the world.
It's been headed that way for a long time. We may also be the most obese, unhealthy nation in the word.

I want affordable health and dental care. I also don't want to live past the point my quality of life is nothing but a burden to myself and others. But that's JMO

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't care about their wages. Wages don't increase quality that much, at least that is what corporatist tell grunts who want more money. So lets just apply that to medicine imo.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2013/05/28/are-u-s-doctors-paid-too-much/#1313909d5252

Have you also noticed that doctors in the US earn on average 78% more than the doctors in those countries? Doctors in this country are typically in the top 1% of earners.
At what age? And the chart in that article would benefit by including the average debt doctors carry when starting their careers.

Schooling and earning potential is an interesting balance. If someone gets a job out of high school, they immediately start earning money (and potentially saving for retirement, saving for investment in a home, etc.). If you push that further down the road in pursuit of a bachelor degree, you're behind four years in earning potential. More than the delay in earnings, it can be a net negative proposition if loans are required to fund schooling. To offset that loss, jobs that require a bachelor's degree typically pay higher than those requiring only a high school diploma.

In the case of professional degrees, your salary start date is pushed even farther down the road. Factor in 4 years for a bachelors that may involve loans, 4-5 years for an MD that itself will almost certainly accrue at least $150,000 of debt, and 4-10 years of residency and fellowship training where you're paid less than minimum wage. Only after that, typically in your mid 30s to early 40s, does a doctor start making the kind of salary that table describes. And in nearly every case, their starting point is not $0, but a negative $100k-200k. This is why doctors eventually get paid a lot. Deal with the high cost of education and terrible handling of student loans, and doctors' pay will likely decrease. But in terms of our overall expenditure on healthcare as a nation, physician compensation is equivalent to a rounding error.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
At what age? And the chart in that article would benefit by including the average debt doctors carry when starting their careers.

Schooling and earning potential is an interesting balance. If someone gets a job out of high school, they immediately start earning money (and potentially saving for retirement, saving for investment in a home, etc.). If you push that further down the road in pursuit of a bachelor degree, you're behind four years in earning potential. More than the delay in earnings, it can be a net negative proposition if loans are required to fund schooling. To offset that loss, jobs that require a bachelor's degree typically pay higher than those requiring only a high school diploma.

In the case of professional degrees, your salary start date is pushed even farther down the road. Factor in 4 years for a bachelors that may involve loans, 4-5 years for an MD that itself will almost certainly accrue at least $150,000 of debt, and 4-10 years of residency and fellowship training where you're paid less than minimum wage. Only after that, typically in your mid 30s to early 40s, does a doctor start making the kind of salary that table describes. And in nearly every case, their starting point is not $0, but a negative $100k-200k. This is why doctors eventually get paid a lot. Deal with the high cost of education and terrible handling of student loans, and doctors' pay will likely decrease. But in terms of our overall expenditure on healthcare as a nation, physician compensation is equivalent to a rounding error.
I was just trying to point out that if you start comparing costs of care from country to country every way you try to address will negatively impact someone. In my opinion the consumers of health care are a large part of the problem. I am old enough to remember when insurance never paid for doctor visits at least the way they do now. In the 80s when BCBS Alabama began PMD insurance coverage I was paying $18 for an office visit. That was immediately lowered to a $15 copay accompanied by BCBS paying the balance of $41 that was the "agreed" charge. Nothing else changed. My healthcare was not any better and my doctor didn't change. At that time I was an Executive in a manufacturing concern that provided my insurance. In that role I was learning that people that hadn't gone to the doctor on a regular basis were now going to get their toenail trimmed at the doctor's office(that is not an exaggeration it is a fact). We as a country over several decades have reimagined the definition of need / necessity. That all comes at a price. The real question is who will pay for my wants that I now define as needs, you or me? I think it should be me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.