The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Yah, that's my point. It seems like this thread is an echo-chamber of hatred, ignoring the fact that there are some good things happening to lots of people (doesn't matter if much of it is because of Obama's policies - people look at whats happening right now and look to the WH).
For better or worse the president generally gets the credit/blame for the economy, deserved or not. Doesn't matter how their economy improved so long as they are better off for it on election day.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yah, that's my point. It seems like this thread is an echo-chamber of hatred, ignoring the fact that there are some good things happening to lots of people (doesn't matter if much of it is because of Obama's policies - people look at whats happening right now and look to the WH).
i for one, will continue to "echo chamber" away at the awfulness that we are seeing because i think our country is much better than this and i am not going to sit quietly and watch it happen. and remember, for a very large chunk of his supporters, a lot of what is being done is being done in the name of christ.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
For better or worse the president generally gets the credit/blame for the economy, deserved or not. Doesn't matter how their economy improved so long as they are better off for it on election day.
well, the economy has been humming along pretty much the entire time he's been president and he still hasn't really come close to cracking 50% approval

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Biden is leading the dems 39% to 15% over Sanders. All the others polled at less than 10%.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/30/politics/cnn-poll-2020-biden-announcement-bounce/index.html

(CNN)Former Vice President Joe Biden's announcement of a bid for the Democratic presidential nomination earned him an 11-point polling bounce, leaving him head and shoulders above the rest of the Democratic candidates.
A new CNN poll conducted by SSRS after Biden's announcement on Thursday shows 39% of voters who are Democrats or Democratic-leaning independents saying he is their top choice for the nomination, up from 28% who said the same in March.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
With the economy humming along he stands a very good chance of being reelected. I hate the idea, but it is what it is. This is far from a prediction, but if things go right (for him) it could be an electoral college landslide. Uncle Joe has a decent shot if he can keep his foot out of his mouth and his hands to himself. It's possible a newcomer could rise up, but unlikely. 2020 should be interesting.
In normal times, I'd agree with you and also with Brad. The major puzzle is that the economy is doing so well and his approval ratings remain so stubbornly low. It's very difficult to understand. It may well be that he's going to turn out to be the anomaly - a president who can lose on a good economy. Also, the last legal shoe hasn't dropped yet...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Or add whatever else we complain about...

It doesn't matter to folks who are employed now, or making more money than before, etc. And there are lots of those.

I'm just saying, reading this thread is almost like a bubble - everyone seems convinced that those who support Trump are okay with his (lack of) character, or his cheating / lying / etc., but the reality is there is a chunk of folks who simply appreciate that their live have improved under his presidency.

I'm not one of those, I've been largely unaffected either way. But name-calling of his supporters and acting like they're all supporting him for the same reasons is short-sighted.

Keep in mind I'm not justifying him or his behavior, but reading this thread it comes across as if he's so awful in every possible way there's zero chance he'll get re-elected. I suspect that's not the case.
Also, Brad, those are red votes anyway. They can't vote for him twice. In the states that count - MI, WI and PA, he has not delivered the economic miracle, a smokestack in every village, which he promised...

Desertion

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I thought after his first year in office with all the negative press and screw ups there was no way he could win re-election. After all the hullabaloo of the Mueller investigation I was sure he would not win or maybe not even run for re-election. That has all changed and I do believe, despite how much I loathe him, he is likely to win in 2020. I realize his numbers look bad now and show him losing to Biden by 6 points, but his ability to make a comeback reminds me of auburn, don't count him out.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
In normal times, I'd agree with you and also with Brad. The major puzzle is that the economy is doing so well and his approval ratings remain so stubbornly low. It's very difficult to understand. It may well be that he's going to turn out to be the anomaly - a president who can lose on a good economy. Also, the last legal shoe hasn't dropped yet...
I have felt that his strong disapproval ratings in the suburbs among more educated voters particularly women is what has driven the Democratic wave in Congress at the midterms. I would expect the same pattern to occur in the upcoming Senatorial elections where the Senate has many more Republicans standing for reelection. I believe this is the constituency that elected Doug Jones in Alabama. We can dissect the issues that drive these voters but I do hope that there is a substantial group of voters concerned with the direction of the country than what the pundits would have us believe.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Lets not forget all the average Germans that enjoyed better lives, got jobs, and had some good things happening after 1933. It’s a shame there were some echo chambers of hatred against it that were only looking at the bad stuff. Thankfully those echo chambers were eventually concentrated and outlawed.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I thought after his first year in office with all the negative press and screw ups there was no way he could win re-election. After all the hullabaloo of the Mueller investigation I was sure he would not win or maybe not even run for re-election. That has all changed and I do believe, despite how much I loathe him, he is likely to win in 2020. I realize his numbers look bad now and show him losing to Biden by 6 points, but his ability to make a comeback reminds me of auburn, don't count him out.
I hate to agree with you on this point, but I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Obama's was only about 43% in 2012. He was reelected.

Bush the first had a higher approval and lost to Clinton.

It happens.

I'm afraid I have no faith in Congress or the legal system or even the people when it comes down to it.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
Below is the list of "The 10 Closest States in the 2016 Election". I added a link to the 5 year chart for that states's unemployment rate and the 2020 electoral vote allocation for the state.

The 10 Closest States in the 2016 Election

Of the top 10 most competitive states, Trump won six and Clinton won four. Of the 10, just two – Minnesota and Maine – did not appear in 2012's list. But the overarching takeaway from the topline results: More states became more closely divided as a result of 2016.

Here's a list of the 10 closest 2016 states, according to The Cook Political Report's running tally, ranked from narrowest margin by percentage to widest:
1. Michigan 0.3 percent
Trump 47.6 percent, Clinton 47.3 percent
Difference: 13,080 votes
Michigan Unemployment Rate
Electoral votes allocation for 2020 - 16

2. New Hampshire 0.4 percent
Clinton 47.6 percent, Trump 47.2 percent
Difference: 2,701 votes
New Hampshire Unemployment Rate
Electoral votes allocation for 2020 - 4

3. Wisconsin 1 percent
Trump 47.9 percent, Clinton 46.9 percent
Difference: 27,257 votes
Wisconsin Unemployment Rate
Electoral votes allocation for 2020 - 10

4. Pennsylvania 1.2 percent
Trump 48.8 percent, Clinton 47.6 percent
Difference: 68,236 votes (99 percent reporting)
Pennsylvania Unemployment Rate
Electoral votes allocation for 2020 - 20

5. Florida 1.2 percent
Trump 49 percent, Clinton 47.8 percent
Difference: 114,455 votes
Florida Unemployment Rate
Electoral votes allocation for 2020 - 29

6. Minnesota 1.5 percent
Clinton 46.4 percent, Trump 44.9 percent
Difference: 44,470 votes
Minnesota Unemployment Rate

7. Nevada 2.4 percent
Clinton 47.9 percent, Trump 45.5 percent
Difference: 26,434 votes
Nevada Unemployment Rate
Electoral votes allocation for 2020 - 6

8. Maine 2.7 percent
Clinton 47.9 percent, Trump 45.2 percent
Difference: 19,995 votes
Maine Unemployment Rate

9. North Carolina 3.8 percent
Trump 49.9 percent, Clinton 46.1 percent
Difference: 177,009 votes
North Carolina Unemployment Rate
Electoral votes allocation for 2020 - 15

10. Arizona 3.9 percent
Trump 49.3 percent, Clinton 45.4 percent
Difference: 91,682 votes
Arizona Unemployment Rate
Electoral votes allocation for 2020 - 11

Something to keep a watch on in the run up to 2020.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Below is the list of "The 10 Closest States in the 2016 Election". I added a link to the 5 year chart for that states's unemployment rate and the 2020 electoral vote allocation for the state.

The 10 Closest States in the 2016 Election

1. Michigan 0.3 percent
Trump 47.6 percent, Clinton 47.3 percent
Difference: 13,080 votes
Michigan Unemployment Rate
Electoral votes allocation for 2020 - 16

2. New Hampshire 0.4 percent
Clinton 47.6 percent, Trump 47.2 percent
Difference: 2,701 votes
New Hampshire Unemployment Rate

3. Wisconsin 1 percent
Trump 47.9 percent, Clinton 46.9 percent
Difference: 27,257 votes
Wisconsin Unemployment Rate

4. Pennsylvania 1.2 percent
Trump 48.8 percent, Clinton 47.6 percent
Difference: 68,236 votes (99 percent reporting)
Pennsylvania Unemployment Rate
Electoral votes allocation for 2020 - 20

5. Florida 1.2 percent
Trump 49 percent, Clinton 47.8 percent
Difference: 114,455 votes
Florida Unemployment Rate
Electoral votes allocation for 2020 - 29

6. Minnesota 1.5 percent
Clinton 46.4 percent, Trump 44.9 percent
Difference: 44,470 votes
Minnesota Unemployment Rate

7. Nevada 2.4 percent
Clinton 47.9 percent, Trump 45.5 percent
Difference: 26,434 votes
Nevada Unemployment Rate
Electoral votes allocation for 2020 - 6

8. Maine 2.7 percent
Clinton 47.9 percent, Trump 45.2 percent
Difference: 19,995 votes
Maine Unemployment Rate

9. North Carolina 3.8 percent
Trump 49.9 percent, Clinton 46.1 percent
Difference: 177,009 votes
North Carolina Unemployment Rate
Electoral votes allocation for 2020 - 15

10. Arizona 3.9 percent
Trump 49.3 percent, Clinton 45.4 percent
Difference: 91,682 votes
Arizona Unemployment Rate
Electoral votes allocation for 2020 - 11

Something to keep a watch on in the run up to 2020.
And yet the Democrats keep dominating local elections in the top swing three...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Offer up milquetoast centrists and dogwhistling PC'd up racists like Biden and others and the Dems will struggle with 3 of those top 4 swing states

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I thought the excuse for the Clemson fast food was the government shutdown? Did the kitchen staff all quit the administration too?
Matt,

I know this may shock you but......Trump lies........(blue font)

The reality is this: like everything else with this guy, these championship dinners are about HIM. Woodward’s book tells about them prepping for the debates with HRC. Banning shows up at Trump Tower for a meeting and is told Trump is (wait for it) on one of his golf courses. Banning gets a lift out there and shows up to “not” prepare.....and Trump has the fantasy diet of 11-year old boys served: hot dogs and hamberders. Look, I don’t expect catering to such things but it’s all about him. I’m surprised he hasn’t issued his own copy of the Bible with him in the role of the Creator.

What’s funny is that virtually every politician fakes enthusiasm much of the time because it’s part of the job. This guy refuses to do that when he should and then becomes deranged when he should be calm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.