Who's our biggest playoff threat ?

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I think it's Clemson. Their passing game is very tough, and Gallman provides a physical runner. Passing is the way to beat us and they can chuck it around pretty well. That big TE of theirs is a matchup nightmare. I don't think their D is as good as last year, though neither is our offense. What say ye ?

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Clemson will probably have the weakest defense, but the best offense of the teams we'd face. On that same token, Ohio State would have the best defense but the worse offense out of the playoff teams. Washington is somewhere in the middle, albeit they have lesser talent on their roster than these teams mentioned, including us.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
OSU has the next best team, next best coaches etc. But we beat well-coached great teams. Clemson has a great veteran QB, who has an upside on a hot streak of beating Alabama.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Actually Washington and Ohio State have the best offenses statistically as far as PPG go, although tOSU has played better competition. Here's how they all stack up in Offense and Defense.

Offense PPG:

1) Washington 44.5
2) Ohio State 42.7
3) Alabama 40.5
4) Clemson 40.2

Total Offense:

1) Clemson 506.2
2) Ohio State 479.5
3) Washington 477.2
4) Alabama 471.3

Defense PPG:

1) Alabama 11.8
2) Ohio State 14.2
3) Washington 17.2
4) Clemson 18.4

Total Defense:

1) Alabama 248.2
2) Ohio State 286.0
3) Clemson 313.9
4) Washington 316.2

Much like 2014 I think everyone is too easily dismissing Ohio State. They are solidly #2 across the board in all 4 categories. They are definitely the biggest threat to us and they have the better coach of the other three teams. I don't like Urban....you don't like Urban....but he's the only modern coach in CNS's stratosphere.

I don't think Clemson is anywhere close to as good as last year. They rack up the most yardage per game but are actually last of the 4 teams in converting it into points although it's by a razor thin margin. But they also have the worst defense of the 4 teams. If you just look at PPG for both Offense and Defense they are last in both.

So really the playoffs are unnecessary this year. Just put Alabama against Ohio State and call it a day. It's going to happen anyway. Bama' will beat Washington and tOSU will beat Clemson. Whether they can get out of both games with no more injuries is the question.

Last edited:

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
Clemson. No doubt about it assuming Clemson plays their A game. Their QB can make the throws. OSU's QB isn't that accurate. Clemson matches up well against Bama and had us last year but a great coaching call with the onside kick helped us edge ahead. You can throw out all the numbers you want but very simply it takes great QB play to beat Bama and Clemson brings the most complete team to compete with Bama.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Clemson. No doubt about it assuming Clemson plays their A game. Their QB can make the throws. OSU's QB isn't that accurate. Clemson matches up well against Bama and had us last year but a great coaching call with the onside kick helped us edge ahead. You can throw out all the numbers you want but very simply it takes great QB play to beat Bama and Clemson brings the most complete team to compete with Bama.
I disagree. Clemson has the best QB. They are not as well rounded as Ohio State however. That's jmo though.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Its easier to dismiss this Ohio State team this time around, because as I've said many many times on this board recently - They lack playmakers on offense and they are slow sans Samuel offensively. Their WR's lack speed and have problems getting separation. Barrett drops back to pass and nobody is open, and he takes off and runs or throws into tight coverage. That has been a common theme all year for them when they play against teams with similar talent. Barrett to me is a below average passer. Hes not an NFL QB.

This Buckeyes team doesn't have Zeke Elliott, Mike Thomas, Devin Smith, Even Spencer or Jalin Marshall.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Its easier to dismiss this Ohio State team this time around, because as I've said many many times on this board recently - They lack playmakers on offense and they are slow sans Samuel offensively. Their WR's lack speed and have problems getting separation. Barrett drops back to pass and nobody is open, and he takes off and runs or throws into tight coverage. That has been a common theme all year for them when they play against teams with similar talent. Barrett to me is a below average passer. Hes not an NFL QB.

This Buckeyes team doesn't have Zeke Elliott, Mike Thomas, Devin Smith, Even Spencer or Jalin Marshall.
Samuel is their top playmaker for sure but Weber isn't chopped liver either. Both guys are over 1,100 yards from scrimmage. As far as JT Barrett goes if we take our crimson glasses off he and Jalen's stats are eerily similar. I'd also say they both have the same plusses and minuses in their 'games'. As in they pose the biggest threats scrambling/running and the passing needs more polishing. Maybe I'm just playing devil's advocate but I honestly think they match up better with us from top to bottom than Clemson.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
the Clemson passing game is legit. Our offense has to play and coach better next Monday, cause we can't count on holding Watson and company to 7.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Yep, I think last night gets him up to 17 picks for the year. A couple more would sure help us.
Yeah it will. We have to commit one person to spy, unless our front can keep him bottled up in the pocket. We've done that before. He's prone to making big mistakes in the passing game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.