the new normal in the u.s.?

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
No, let's not. That's absurd.

So, Clinton and Obama are responsible for a far right extremist shooting up a restaurant based on fake news peddled by fringe conspiracy theorists that Trump embraced during his run for president? Sure, let's go with that.
This is what kills me anytime these discussions are had. You (the collective you - not just you individually, CharminTide :D ) want to broad brush but yet when the brush is applied back toward you, there's outrage (and loads of condescension and snarkiness). To use your own rhetorical petard: it's absurd.

I still love & appreciate all you guys, though! Seriously, I do.

I'm just ready for us as a society to be able to disagree on the issues without being disagreeable or to have our friendships and "family-ships" destroyed because of disagreeing about stupid politicians and political positions. The thought police have no place here.

Last edited:

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Maybe, and I know this idea is pretty far out there, but just maybe, the guy is simply crazy/nuts/mentally disturbed. And it has little to nothing to do with either libtards or consvtards.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Little more info.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...e-news.html?via=newsletter&source=DDAfternoon

The conspiracy is untrue and easily disprovable. For example, the sex ring is supposed to be run out of the restaurant’s basement, but the owner told the BBC, “We don’t even have a basement.”

The fake news began proliferating on websites like 4chan and Reddit, especially a Reddit forum frequented by Trump supporters and the alt-right. The Reddit community “Pizzagate,” created for the purpose of discussing the supposed conspiracy, was banned recently because individuals began posting personal and confidential information there.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
yeah, people get upset when stupidity causes armed idiots to shoot up pizza parlors, shocking isn't it?
or bash little old ladies over the head with a chair, or play the knock out game with elderly, or flash mob, or kill cops because of shady reporting.

Shall we go on?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Also, this.

Originally Posted by NationalTitles16

"The outrage over fake news is based on fake news about fake news"... the "epidemic" has been overblown as the influence has been limited..
Yeah, there's been quite the epidemic what with one person doing this. Good thing no one made up a story about a cop killing an innocent unarmed guy anywhere that might have caused a riot or 3 at which at least one person was shot and killed. Thankfully, the media would protect us from such travesties.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I'm just ready for us as a society to be able to disagree on the issues without being disagreeable or to have our friendships and "family-ships" destroyed because of disagreeing about stupid politicians and political positions. The thought police have no place here.
This I completely agree with. Divided countries are easier to rule and to mislead, and I don't think anyone here wishes for that.

However, I don't think it's possible to have a bipartisan conversation unless everyone is able to agree on certain basic facts. I get that most of the media sucked during this election, and there has been fake news on both sides of the political aisle (though undoubtedly more on the right this past year). But there have been a few gems of actual, honest-to-god journalism. And we need more of that to establish these basic facts that lay the foundation for conversation. Dismissing all news sources as fake, in my opinion, is a dangerous overreaction.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
This I completely agree with. Divided countries are easier to rule and to mislead, and I don't think anyone here wishes for that.

However, I don't think it's possible to have a bipartisan conversation unless everyone is able to agree on certain basic facts. I get that most of the media sucked during this election, and there has been fake news on both sides of the political aisle (though undoubtedly more on the right this past year). But there have been a few gems of actual, honest-to-god journalism. And we need more of that to establish these basic facts that lay the foundation for conversation. Dismissing all news sources as fake, in my opinion, is a dangerous overreaction.
What kind of "news" was the "Trump servers are communicating with Russian servers" piece?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
What kind of "news" was the "Trump servers are communicating with Russian servers" piece?
An investigative piece by a single news outlet that arrived at an incorrect conclusion and was debunked within 24 hours by the NYT and multiple other major news outlets. Not sure what your point is here.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
An investigative piece by a single news outlet that arrived at an incorrect conclusion and was debunked within 24 hours by the NYT and multiple other major news outlets. Not sure what your point is here.
It was convenient that they looked no further, right? Do you think a professional reporter like Bob Woodward would have half-azzed this "investigation"? Clearly a case of made-up "news".

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
As soon as Democrats stop disagreeing and just give in to everything Republicans want, then we'll have the age of aquarius. But, there's a rub in there somewhere.
Sir Edward Coke said:
“Contra negantem principia non est disputandum.”

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

Trump Fires Adviser’s Son From Transition for Spreading Fake News

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/06/us/politics/michael-flynn-son-trump.html?_r=0

President-elect Donald J. Trump on Tuesday fired one of his transition team’s staff members, Michael G. Flynn, the son of Mr. Trump’s choice for national security adviser, for using Twitter to spread a fake news story about Hillary Clinton that led to an armed confrontation in a pizza restaurant in Washington.

Hope springs eternal.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
It was convenient that they looked no further, right? Do you think a professional reporter like Bob Woodward would have half-azzed this "investigation"? Clearly a case of made-up "news".
Again, shot down by more prominent news organizations within a day. Call me when Fox starts doing the same with the fake news on the right.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.