the new normal in the u.s.?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
N.C. man told police he went to D.C. pizzeria with assault rifle to ‘self-investigate’ election-related conspiracy theory

A North Carolina man was arrested Sunday after he walked into a popular pizza restaurant in Northwest Washington carrying an assault rifle and fired one or more shots, D.C. police said. The man told police he had come to the restaurant to “self-investigate” a false election-related conspiracy theory involving Hillary Clinton that spread online during her presidential campaign.

The incident caused panic, with several businesses going into lockdown as police swarmed the neighborhood after receiving the call shortly before 3 p.m.

Police said 28-year-old Edgar Maddison Welch, of Salisbury, N.C., walked in the front door of Comet Ping Pong and pointed a firearm in the direction of a restaurant employee. The employee was able to flee and notify police. Police said Welch proceeded to discharge the rifle inside the restaurant; they think that all other occupants had fled when Welch began shooting.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Not justifying any of this but if you want to know why people do this stuff...

Let's just go ahead and include ALL news sources as fake news. Who knows what is true any more? The networks (OTA & cable) and newspapers won't report obvious truths, overtly pick sides, ignore anything on the interior of the country, are condescending toward anyone who isn't an "insider"... and you wonder why people believe so-called "fake" news? I don't believe anything anymore, myself. Only what I see with my own eyes.

We could also include all the military and political propoganda purveyors, as well.

You're right about reaping what you sow. The Clinton/Obama machines and their minions and ilk have been sowing discord for 25 years. In the infamous words of one Rev. Wright: The chickens are coming home to roost.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Not justifying any of this but if you want to know why people do this stuff...

Let's just go ahead and include ALL news sources as fake news. Who knows what is true any more? The networks (OTA & cable) and newspapers won't report obvious truths, overtly pick sides, ignore anything on the interior of the country, are condescending toward anyone who isn't an "insider"... and you wonder why people believe so-called "fake" news?

You're right about reaping what you sow. The Clinton/Obama machine and their minions and ilk have been sowing discord for 25 years. In the infamous words of one Rev. Wright: The chickens are coming home to roost.
so, both sides do it, but it's really clinton and obama's fault.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
so, both sides do it, but it's really clinton and obama's fault.

Look, I don't give anyone a pass. Everything is political and politicized. Obama could have stopped a LOT of what has happened on his watch but he chose to fan the flames because he is who we thought he was... a community organizer. Do I think Trump will be that much better with all his tweeting etc ? Not a chance. But Trump doesn't have an oiled machine like the Obamaistas and Clintonistas just ready and willing to be bussed to a riot/protest.

I want leaders who quit all the nonsense and idiocy and division. Red/Blue/Purple who cares. Lead and don't divide.

I offered an explanation, not a justification.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Look, I don't give anyone a pass. Everything is political and politicized. Obama could have stopped a LOT of what has happened on his watch but he chose to fan the flames because he is who we thought he was... a community organizer. Do I think Trump will be that much better with all his tweeting etc ? Not a chance. But Trump doesn't have an oiled machine like the Obamaistas and Clintonistas just ready and willing to be bussed to a riot/protest.

I want leaders who quit all the nonsense and idiocy and division. Red/Blue/Purple who cares. Lead and don't divide.

I offered an explanation, not a justification.
it's not obama's fault that a bunch of lunatics are running around chasing conspiracy theories and doing crap like this. it is not obama's fault that what used to be the lunatic fringe is now front and center in our nation and is being normalized. we will just have to agree to disagree.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
**Sigh** This is why I didn't participate in any political threads for the last 2 years. Guess I'll just go back to lurking on this forum.
that was a joke about the coverage of events like this in the media. but yeah, the jokes (especially mine) can be pretty lame.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Let's just go ahead and include ALL news sources as fake news. Who knows what is true any more?
No, let's not. That's absurd.

You're right about reaping what you sow. The Clinton/Obama machines and their minions and ilk have been sowing discord for 25 years. In the infamous words of one Rev. Wright: The chickens are coming home to roost.
So, Clinton and Obama are responsible for a far right extremist shooting up a restaurant based on fake news peddled by fringe conspiracy theorists that Trump embraced during his run for president? Sure, let's go with that.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
it's not obama's fault that a bunch of lunatics are running around chasing conspiracy theories and doing crap like this. it is not obama's fault that what used to be the lunatic fringe is now front and center in our nation and is being normalized. we will just have to agree to disagree.
I don't see Obama's friends pushing BS conspiracy theories that cause live shootings but maybe I'm missing something. But I have seen this story and I saw a guy kill 3 people in Colorado last year over a BS story pushed by the GOP and their friends

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005
Events like this are not like armed robberies in which there is an object or a goal. Events like this and school shootings are simply homocidal mania. This type of behavior at the national level is new and has been developing over the last 15 years. You know there is something dreadfully wrong here.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I don't see Obama's friends pushing BS conspiracy theories that cause live shootings but maybe I'm missing something.
"The police murdered this poor black guy in cold blood! He was such a sweet person and didn't deserve this!"

*Cue riots, assaults, property damage, attacks on police etc.*

Months later....
"Oh it turns out the police were in the right on this case, this guy has a long criminal history and acted aggressively towards police."

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
"The police murdered this poor black guy in cold blood! He was such a sweet person and didn't deserve this!"

*Cue riots, assaults, property damage, attacks on police etc.*

Months later....
"Oh it turns out the police were in the right on this case, this guy has a long criminal history and acted aggressively towards police."
that's fair, there are certainly issues on both sides and buttons are easily pushed. I'd argue that poor treatment of blacks by the police is at least a real issue being exploited whereas pizza based child trafficking rings and baby parts for profit are not based in reality but your larger point still stands

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
The non-sports forum is starting to remind me of the ol' democratic underground forums during the GWB administration. Lots of butt hurt.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
The non-sports forum is starting to remind me of the ol' democratic underground forums during the GWB administration. Lots of butt hurt.
yeah, people get upset when stupidity causes armed idiots to shoot up pizza parlors, shocking isn't it?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
People are stupid and lazy and way too ready to look for a reason to be outraged. Fake news easily feeds this wanting for outrage.
On this we are in complete agreement. Read. Critically. And if you are convinced a law is being broken, call law enforcement, or write your congressman.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
If I was a Democrat and he was a Democrat, I'd say, "This guy really did not do what they say he did." Then once it was proven he did do what they say he did, I'd say, "They grabbed the wrong guy; the real perp was somebody else." Then, "We have to understand this guy's rage." Then, "These laws against assaulting someone with a deadly weapon are a relic of a bygone era with now real relevance to today's society. This behavior is really quite normal now."

Mercifully, I'm not a Democrat. I say, "prosecute him to the extent of the law."

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
If I was a Democrat, I'd say, "This guy really did not do what they say he did." Then once it was proven he did do what they say he did, I'd say, "They grabbed the wrong guy; the real perp was somebody else." Then, "We have to understand this guy's rage." Then, "These laws against assaulting someone with a deadly weapon are a relic of a bygone era with now real relevance to today's society. This behavior is really quite normal now."

Mercifully, I'm not a Democrat. I say, "prosecute him to the extent of the law."
Hittin the sauce again TW?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.