Kiffin's future... (Going to FAU, Staying Through CFP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
Re: Any word on Kiffin's interview with UH?

I don't have a problem with it as long as the other team isn't putting points on the board while we're sacrificing possessions in the first half to "set them up" for plays in the second half. We may not have that luxury in the playoffs. I get the thought process behind what Kiffin/Saban are doing. But I have felt it's gotten out of balance. I'm all for setting future plays up with current plays. But there has to be a balance in thought of "We're still trying everything we can to score now." I feel we've gotten away from the latter in the second half of the season.
If I wait a few mins someone always says what I'm thinking but can't express quite well enough.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

The hiring of Sark earlier in the season indicated (to me at least) that Saban's plan was for Kiffin to move on after the season. He was hired BEFORE the tirade on the sidelines (one week matter of fact) that Fineslime points to as the "marriage is over moment". The incident that has led to these reports of Kiffin moving on.

The Sark hiring is simply too hard for me to ignore and not link to Saban knowing and planning on Kiffin moving on at the end of season.
I've written about this before, but I guess you missed it. Finebaum is wrong, not for the first time. The marriage was already over and Kiffin had been told to look around. It was all related to off-field stuff, some of which would take your breath away. I've assumed that Sark was to be Kiffin's replacement, but I don't really know it. I guess Saban just likes salvage projects...

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

I think Kiffin would be very successful at UH. You can field a team with great talent in about a 150 mile radius.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland

You brought up an interesting point. Now when I think about it little more, I wonder If they did that all season long, thinking that in the playoff, we'll change some things up to where Opponents isn't expecting it. For example on 3rd and goals, they might be expecting Hurts to roll out to right and look for Stewart or Dieter on that play... We've done that all season, but in playoff it could be a same play but hand the ball to Bo... Remember Clemson game last year? I would imagine that Kiffin has to explain what he was doing this year at UH yesterday and why it works.
I think we've been trying to improve the passing game since the week before Cup Cake Weekend.

It was a noticable change at that point from what has gone before, I could be way off beam here but I honestly believe we are that confident in our ability to overcome our previous opponents including in the SECCG that we've been using the first half as glorified full contact practice.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana

I just hope we get an answer sooner rather than later. Unlike some, I'd rather see him stay the next two games for the offensive continuity. He's been here all season, the players know what to expect, and Kiffin has a knack for calling the perfect plays at the perfect time.(It's the other portion of the time that he makes me want to pull my hair out) I won't be sad to see him leave if it's after the season, I just hope the answer doesn't linger causing a cloud of distraction over our preparation.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I just hope we get an answer sooner rather than later. Unlike some, I'd rather see him stay the next two games for the offensive continuity. He's been here all season, the players know what to expect, and Kiffin has a knack for calling the perfect plays at the perfect time.(It's the other portion of the time that he makes me want to pull my hair out) I won't be sad to see him leave if it's after the season, I just hope the answer doesn't linger causing a cloud of distraction over our preparation.
I doubt it'll linger into next several weeks. I'm thinking we'll hear something sometime this week. I would be Shocked if they didn't decided on who they want by now. Saban did say that it depends on situation and how it goes. Kiffin said that he would like to stay through the playoff regardless he gets the job or not.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX

I know this is off thread topic some, but only brining it up because we are discussing who the next OC may be. What has been Mike Locksley's role this season?

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

I've written about this before, but I guess you missed it. Finebaum is wrong, not for the first time. The marriage was already over and Kiffin had been told to look around. It was all related to off-field stuff, some of which would take your breath away. I've assumed that Sark was to be Kiffin's replacement, but I don't really know it. I guess Saban just likes salvage projects...
Sports reporting, especially Paul Finebaum's drive-by variety, often relies on a simplistic interpretation of cause and effect. Fortunately, life is far more complicated and interesting.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I know this is off thread topic some, but only brining it up because we are discussing who the next OC may be. What has been Mike Locksley's role this season?
IIRC, he's another "analyst." I've noticed there's more and more complaints on rival boards on the number of off-field personnel we have compared with other schools...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Sports reporting, especially Paul Finebaum's drive-by variety, often relies on a simplistic interpretation of cause and effect. Fortunately, life is far more complicated and interesting.
I've noticed the same. If it looks like it could be true, Paul will put it out as God's own truth. Beyond that, he really doesn't care...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I don't have a problem with it as long as the other team isn't putting points on the board while we're sacrificing possessions in the first half to "set them up" for plays in the second half. We may not have that luxury in the playoffs. I get the thought process behind what Kiffin/Saban are doing. But I have felt it's gotten out of balance. I'm all for setting future plays up with current plays. But there has to be a balance in thought of "We're still trying everything we can to score now." I feel we've gotten away from the latter in the second half of the season.
I feel the exact same way. We can't sputter around for a quarter and a half in the playoffs trying to set up the defense or tire them out for the 2nd half. When we're averaging 8 YPC why not just run the ball and break their will. Or, like we used to do, run the ball almost exclusively then go over the top with play action. Same concept except we're actually controlling TOP and wearing the defense down physically instead of through finesse plays.

There's not much to complain about when we're sitting at 13-0 and just won the SECCG by a score of 54-16 but I feel like the play calling could really cost us in a close game. Almost did vs LSU..

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL

I don't buy it. We averaged 9yds a carry in the first half and didn't even attempt to run to see if it worked. It's fine if you can blow out teams in the 2nd half, but if we arent' careful we are going to end up digging too big of a hole.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I don't buy it. We averaged 9yds a carry in the first half and didn't even attempt to run to see if it worked. It's fine if you can blow out teams in the 2nd half, but if we aren't careful we are going to end up digging too big of a hole.
As we almost did against Ole Miss...

TAKEPRIDE22

2nd Team
Jul 21, 2011
Birmingham, AL

I don't have a problem with the perimeter stuff being used early to wear out the defense later in the game.

My issue is Bo having 3 huge runs to get us to the 8 yard line, then 3 incomplete passes and settling for a FG.

This is the same issue I have...don't mind it, but if you get inside of the 10 from grinding and running, no need to switch it up now...get the points on the board.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I don't buy it. We averaged 9yds a carry in the first half and didn't even attempt to run to see if it worked. It's fine if you can blow out teams in the 2nd half, but if we arent' careful we are going to end up digging too big of a hole.
I believe their rationale as presented. I just don't think that it is always necessary. Some teams are simply weak between the tackles. You don't need to tire them out to beat them. So why waste possessions?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I strongly agree with some of the sentiments expressed earlier.

The last couple of games we've basically not moved the ball, made many first downs or scored offensive points using this "set them up for later" style of play.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if we are running 3 wide plays that fails to net a first down then the defense isn't tiring out if we have to punt on 4th down.

Furthermore, the real problem seems to be first down plays. I can't remember how many times we've been in 2 and 10 or 15 or 20 because of a miserable 1st down play that netted negative yards or hardly nothing positive.

I'd like to see us run the ball or have more shorter DOWNHILL throws (as opposed to wide stuff) on first down. Get in second and mid or short to go and then do some of the wide stuff. If it fails we've got 3rd and reasonable rather than 3rd and long.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

You brought up an interesting point. Now when I think about it little more, I wonder If they did that all season long, thinking that in the playoff, we'll change some things up to where Opponents isn't expecting it. For example on 3rd and goals, they might be expecting Hurts to roll out to right and look for Stewart or Dieter on that play... We've done that all season, but in playoff it could be a same play but hand the ball to Bo... Remember Clemson game last year? I would imagine that Kiffin has to explain what he was doing this year at UH yesterday and why it works.
I follow your logic but disagree. Winning in the SEC is difficult enough. Planning to withhold weapons or strategies from games where they may be necessary just so that they could be used in a theoretical offseason smacks of arrogance and condescension from our coaching staff to every team we play. Now, Coach Saban is confident...many could accuse him of arrogance, but he's never "played down" to anyone, IMO. I truly believe that each week he is attempting to implement the best plan to try and beat that team. Whether we agree with that offensive strategy is a fun conversation. So I don't think we've been waiting to unleash a barrage of 1st-quarter points so gaudy that Baylor would blush.

But I DO Agree with Bamabuzzard when he worried "I get the thought proces behind what Kiffin/Saban are doing. But I have felt it's gotten out of balance. I'm all for setting future plays up with current plays. But there has to be balance in the thought of 'We're still trying everything we can to score now.'"

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL

I believe their rationale as presented. I just don't think that it is always necessary. Some teams are simply weak between the tackles. You don't need to tire them out to beat them. So why waste possessions?
I guess my point in the game thread is Hurts was having an off game. I think Kiffin lacks the situational awareness sometimes to see that. He should have called more handoffs to the RB just to calm things down and see if he could get Hurts settled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.